SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sticker shock! Chain link fence.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticker shock! Chain link fence. Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
SWMBO wanted to expand the chicken yard. In order to have some hope of keeping the foxes out, it would have to be chain link.

I ran the numbers on 400 feet of 5 foot high chain link fence. Just materials, do all the work myself. One "double six" gate to get the tractor in and out.

Go ahead, take a wild guess...

Hint: Ain't gonna happen.

$8,900

Well, last to the party and just guessing.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I used PT 4x4s w/ chicken wire for mine and it only cost a few hundred. And that includes about 2' of hardware cloth along the bottom to keep anything from grabbing at them.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
My neighbor has his five acres enclosed with a 6" chain link fence. 10 years ago it was ~ $14,000 installed. His three dogs have the run of the 5 acres. They're happy.

Must be tiny dogs!!

Razz

Posts: 3014 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
No climb woven wire

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
for a plain fence, concrete footings, 5' high estimate between $90 and $140 per LF of fence

gates are more

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
SWMBO wanted to expand the chicken yard. In order to have some hope of keeping the foxes out, it would have to be chain link.

I ran the numbers on 400 feet of 5 foot high chain link fence. Just materials, do all the work myself. One "double six" gate to get the tractor in and out.

Go ahead, take a wild guess...

Hint: Ain't gonna happen.

Chainlink fence isnt cheap but it lasts forever. My neighbor's chainlink fence is well over 30 years old and its in perfect condition.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21378 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after a conversation with your chickens, they agreed to go ahead and make life easier for you ,
if you go to the extra expense of a larger yard.

They agreed to do this for you
https://www.agribusinessinfo.c...ploads/Chicken-1.jpg

to cut your excruciating egg gathering time by 3/4

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny chain link fence story that now makes sense....

Right after I graduated HS we moved into a new home, literally across the street. We went from lake adjacent to lake front with much better dock rights for boats. The downside was we were moving into a home that was severely neglected and needed work.

One of the first days of my summer vacation, which I envisioned to be nothing but beer, water skiing and general shenanigans before I went off to college, my Dad pulled me outside and informed me my "summer project" was to dig out and remove the chain link fence that circled the entire back yard complete with 3 gates and cemented in posts.

After Dad left for work I grabbed a pick and took 2-3 swings at a concrete footer and very quickly shifted into "fuck this" mode. After giving it some thought I I went inside and called the local paper to place an ad to attempt to give the fence away. For whatever reason the paper required me to put a price on the ad so I said fine, $100 and losted all measurements and specs.

Fast forward a few days later when the ad hit and the phone started ringing. My Dad returned home from work at 6:00pm to find a small army of men in the yard digging up and removing the fence. They had it out of there in about an hour, were very neat and clean and the expression on my Dad's face when they paid me was a priceless mix of anger, pride and sheer confusion.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My chain link fence is 6' high and about 400'.

I have a double drive thru gate and a single walk thru gate.

I got it when Sears used to sell their special finish Gator posts and poles.

It cost me $1100 to have 100' moved about 6' on one end.

So, yeah, expensive for labor and parts.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with lazy fox. The ones in Maine can't even jump 5' for a chicken dinner. I wonder what he expects this winter when they get 3' of snow or a drift that high. Fox around here can climb trees, high jump 6' or more or even scare the stupid chickens (the only kind) into flight.

My conclusion is it would be cheaper to see if a local egg delivery service will drop off a few dozen eggs a week for a minimal charge. Probably be cheaper than the cost and trouble of feeding them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
You can find tons of cheap used chain link fence on Facebook Marketplace. Probably Craig's List too.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
twice a year here, someone will offer 100 -200 feet of chain link and ! the poles for next to nothing, if you tear it out and haul it away.

the last time it was $100.00 for 120 '

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need an Anatolian shepherd, they will keep all 4 and 2 legged creatures out.
They won't even have a problem going at it with a bear.

Posts: 1186 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
No climb woven wire

We use 6 ft. no climb for our dogs. Same price as chain link, and a much sturdier fence, because it has a welded top rail. Here's a picture of what we call no climb out here, not what I would call woven wire, but maybe it's a different product where you are. No welded rail in the picture, but most out here have the welded top rail.

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I came up with $28xx before taxes

You didn't include replacing your tail lights after the "professional" forklift driver mangles your truck. Add a few more hundred $$.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
quote:

I came up with $28xx before taxes

You didn't include replacing your tail lights after the "professional" forklift driver mangles your truck. Add a few more hundred $$.

Big Grin Razz True...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post