SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man's best friend? I don't think so. - Dog shoots hunter.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man's best friend? I don't think so. - Dog shoots hunter. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
The article says it all.

Dog shoots hunter after another hunter leaves shotgun on ground

Fox Link

quote:

A dog stepped on a 12-guage shotgun and shot a hunter in the back with bird-shot pellets in Wright County, Iowa.

On Wednesday, 36-year-old William Rancourt was shot when a hunting dog stepped on the trigger of a shotgun lying on the ground nearly 22 yards away from the man, causing the gun to fire, a news release from the Iowa Department of Natural Resources reports.

The man was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, the report continues.

“Shotguns are extremely dangerous at close range," Ken Lonneman, a DNR conversation officer, told the Des Moines Register. "In this case, there was a good distance between the muzzle and the wound, but if the victim had been closer, his injuries would have been more severe."

When Rancourt arrived at the hospital, he was alert and able to walk. X-rays were being performed Wednesday afternoon to ensure all pellets had been removed from Rancourts back, the Des Moines Register reported.

The New Hampshire resident had been hunting with his party in Wright County, Iowa. The group, which included two dogs, two Iowans and another man from New Hampshire, had been pheasant hunting around 1:20 p.m. when one of the men placed his loaded shotgun on the ground.

Rancourt’s injuries were “fairly moderate,” Lonneman said, but he hopes the incident serves as a reminder to all hunters to unload their guns and place the safety on before placing them down or leaving them unattended.

He also encourages increased safety precautions as the hunting season picks up.

"I would like to remind all hunters that no matter what season it is, but especially during a busy season like the one we are going into, to please be sure to identify your target as well as what's beyond your target before firing," Lonneman told the Register.

I'm sticking to cats.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Dog resented being awakened at zero dark thirty to go out into the cold to flush birds he couldn't eat.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Maybe don’t leave loaded guns laying on the ground

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A dog named Cheney.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Q

Posts: 27629 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Important Safety Tip:
"Shotguns are extremely dangerous at close range"
Dogs too, evidently.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I know the rules, but I violate them on occasion. Particularly the one about the loaded gun. Mine all have this thing they call a safety. I use it. If you too have a safety, and know how to use it, this kind of thing won't happen. If I've got it in my hands, I try my very best to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. All the damn time. Pretty easy, really.

In my long and sorry life, I've only managed to shoot one friend. Had nothing to do with where the muzzle was pointed. It was directly at the fossilized power shovel. Right at the thickest part of the scoop, where I hoped the old milsurp bullet would penetrate. Wrong. A part of the jacket that looked like the thing you use to join boards came back and hit my spotter right in the forehead. It stuck. Back at his step fathers Nash Metro, we found the only likely tool, a pair of greasy old pliers. The slip joint kind. I found a rag and wiped off as much as I could. Then figured if I grabbed the part sticking out I wouldn't contaminate the "wound". The guy said ouch when I pulled. Fun times.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Gotta watch those armed animals. Big Grin

This reminded me of something that happened quite a while back. It took some time finding it because I thought it was in Arkansas.

Turkey Shoots Hunter by Triggering Shotgun
April 25, 1992|Associated Press

POTOSI, Mo. — A man showing off a turkey he thought he had killed was shot in the leg when the wounded bird thrashed around in his car trunk and triggered his shotgun.

To make matters worse, it turns out that Larry Lands and his 16-year-old son were hunting a week before the start of turkey season and will probably be fined, county Sheriff Ron Skiles said.

While the son was pulling the turkey out of the trunk, the bird began struggling, according to the sheriff, and its claw fired the gun. The shot went through the side panel of the car and into Lands' leg.

http://articles.latimes.com/19...y-shotgun-triggering

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Stupid hunter ,deserves it.Walking around with the safety off.
I do not think the dog is smart enough to take it off and shoot mr stupid

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
A dog named Cheney.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"Stale kibble....empty water bowls...your spawn trying to ride me like a God dammed horse...never again....NEVER AGAIN!" Smile

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sensible dog laws? No more dog show loop holes!

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Just getting even for the neutering..........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Woof Woof! Bang!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Just getting even for the neutering..........

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I carry an over/under most of the time when bird hunting. When we stop for anything, water the dog, cross a fence, you name it. The guns action gets opened up. No way it can go off in that mode.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10994 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Maybe don’t leave loaded guns laying on the ground

There you go again, injecting common sense and logic. Wink

Posts: 10811 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
This is a human issue not canine!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Dog Testimony: "Officer, I was walking by when the gun just went off."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post