SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need help for Embraer RJ-145 on-board luggage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help for Embraer RJ-145 on-board luggage Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
I'll be flying to Heathrow and, unfortunately, for my connections to ORD and back I've been relegated to Embraer RJ 145s. The particular problem is that I have some custom regalia to wear for an event while I'm in London that I would like to A. not go missing and B. arrive in reasonable condition.

I already have a large laptop backpack that I will have to carry for work, which obviously can't be checked with all the batteries in it. I will have travel companions so additional foot-wells and overhead space should be available.

Can anyone give best advice for what luggage will fit, not be gate checked, and get my belongings there in the best condition?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Standard roll aboards don't fit the RJ145, only backpacks and soft dufflebags of smaller size.

Roller carry on bags are always gate checked but I've had good luck with getting those back, but thankfully I haven't been on a RJ in awhile, since I don't fly American anymore (Delta whore these days).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Depending on the airline, you may not even be able to bring a rollaboard into the cabin (that's the way it was at my old airline).

If you can't find a suitable bag to bring on, you will have to "valet check" your rollaboard. But do not fret...you will get it back in the jetway at your destination.

If you valet your rollaboard, the worst that can happen is the gate check tag the rampers put on your bag before they place it in the rear cargo hold can get torn off in flight if things shift around. In that case, they have no choice but to send the bag to baggage claim (FAA regulation). That happens less than .001% of the time, so I wouldn't worry about it.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
The overhead space is practically nil. I have had to remove my computers (they are large) from my computer bag and ramp check my computer bag. Small duffles and backpacks are the name of the game. What sort of regalia are you talking about? I can't remember if a 145 has a small closet, but you MIGHT be able to finesse some room in that.

Give yourself as much time as possible if you have to go through Heathrow security. It can be a circus.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
I can't remember if a 145 has a small closet, but you MIGHT be able to finesse some room in that.
Yes...it does have a closet, but it's for the crew. Their stuff usually takes up the bulk of the space and there is a weight limit.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
I can't remember if a 145 has a small closet, but you MIGHT be able to finesse some room in that.
Yes...it does have a closet, but it's for the crew. Their stuff usually takes up the bulk of the space and there is a weight limit.
Of course, but in my early days, we would very occasionally let a passenger use the closets on the t-props and RJ I flew.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You should be ok with them gate checking a bag and get it back at the gate when you land. I had to do this a few years back on a dive trip. I had expensive dive computers and regulators I wouldn’t put in my checked bags. Had no issues.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gate check should not be a problem, make sure the agent gives you a tag for the bag.

I fly on United Express RJs - including the 145 - all the time from Moline (IL) to O'Hare and back. I always see other pax drop off their bags just before getting into the plane, and once we land they line up at the same spot to retrieve them.

My soft backpack fits under the seat, even in a 145, but I doubt you'll have any problems with gate check for a roller bag. Here's the layout for a United Express 145:

https://www.united.com/web/en-.../emb145/default.aspx

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the feedback. I'm a very experienced flyer, including on these. I'm just mostly cheesed off that I am going to London and they have stuck me with these d$%^ 145s. At least I have arranged, at least, 747s over and back. GRR! They've changed my plane over to a 787.

I'm just pissed.

Edit: I'll try the Aeronaut 45 on the trip. Should fit under the seat if nothing else.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, but in my early days, we would very occasionally let a passenger use the closets on the t-props and RJ I flew.
Ah...didn't know you had experienced the WONDER of RJ flying. Big Grin LOVED the plane, but Regional employment and QOL went down the crapper 2009-ish. You're lucky to have escaped early when you did.
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I'm just mostly cheesed off that I am going to London and they have stuck me with these d$%^ 145s. At least I have arranged, at least, 747s over and back. GRR! They've changed my plane over to a 787.
I hope I'm not being Captain Obvious here and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but British Airways doesn't arrange your U.S. domestic travel. They code-share with United, so United is sticking you on the E145. If not United and maybe American, then BA code shares with them as well. Sunny skies though...I believe you're gonna like the 787. It's quiet and supposedly has some sort of fresh air circulation system that keeps the air from getting stale like on other platforms. You supposedly feel more refreshed after the long flights. Safe travels...bon voyage!!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not much to add here that hasn't been mentioned.
I've never had any problems with gate checking a bag from IAH-MAF.

RE: The 787, I took my first flights on one a couple weeks ago IAH-LAX & back. Pretty impressed, seemed quieter than the 737 & with the 3-3-3 seating, quite roomy.
First time I've had to stand to adjust the air vent (I was right seat in the center section).

HAven't been on a 747 & running out of options for that to happen. IIRC, all US-domestic carriers have retired theirs?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I fly UA 787 transpac every other month, and although it's not as notable as flying upstairs on the 747, it's really quite nice. I greatly prefer the Firebird to any of the other airframes UA is currently flying.
Agree about the RJ's; the Barbie jets are awful to fly in - but speedy. From MT I'm almost always in some variant of the devil's chariot to/from Denver. Be thankful its not a CRJ-200.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Be thankful its not a CRJ-200.
This man speaks truth... Eek Hands down, THE worst airframe ever designated for commercial flight.

[/DRIFT]

posted Hide Post
The Yooper puddle jumper is a CRJ-200. Agony.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
HAven't been on a 747 & running out of options for that to happen. IIRC, all US-domestic carriers have retired theirs?

The pilots never had a chance against the bean counters. Too many engines.

I remember with fondness an early 2001 BA round trip to London and back in a ‘47 with the lovely bride. Got invited up to the cockpit to hangout for a while on the way back. I went back to the seat for landing, but Mrs. slosig got to sit in the jumpseat for the landing at SFO. Another fun and interesting experience that won’t be repeated.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Please pardon my thread drift.

I had to fly on an American Airlines regional jet recently. I don’t recall which one, but the restroom was so small I could not stand up straight. Nothing like being all hunched over and trying to urinate. At least I can stand up straight in a 737 toilet.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really hate flying on regional equipment. If it won't fit under the seat, you might as well check it. The overhead can handle a pencil box.

Pack the regalia in a suit bag or check a suit bag that will provide the protection needed. Adjust the suitcase, if used, to handle the regalia, and shift things that interfere to your carry-on.

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I had to fly on an American Airlines regional jet recently. I don’t recall which one, but the restroom was so small I could not stand up straight. Nothing like being all hunched over and trying to urinate. At least I can stand up straight in a 737 toilet.

I fly a large widebody internationally, and the lavatory isn't much better.

quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I fly UA 787 transpac every other month, and although it's not as notable as flying upstairs on the 747, it's really quite nice.

I flew the 747 for some time; one of the smaller cockpits out there, ironically. The upper deck for passenger aircraft was configured nicely, but not on cargo aircraft, in which the stairs were replaced by a ladder that was pulled up to load cargo.

The last British Airways flight I took, about two months ago, was a 747 out of Heathrow. The airplane interior was worn out. The entertainment system broken. The flight attendants were sparse and service poor. British Airways used to be good; now it's on par with LOT, which isn't a plus.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post