SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The New Members Introductions section of the forum probably needs to go away
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New Members Introductions section of the forum probably needs to go away Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the section going away. I remember when I would go there to say welcome but, somehow for some reason, I just thought there hasn't been many new members posting there.

I do remember the one new female member who posted in that section and it seemed several members here were attracted by her pheromones. The humidity went up by several percentage points driven by the amount of salivating occurring.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19705 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! How did I ever miss that new members post about the Germs...

Posts: 18048 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The forum software does have the functionality to lock and/or prune posts, but it's across the board, and not configurable for individual sections.

Posts: 107721 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Same, I think I have posted maybe 3 times there, and read a few more based on location. But this one was the last one I posted in, and it was a fun one Big Grin https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/6380084174/p/1

How about a Hall of Fame sub-forum for old locked threads like this piece of gold here?

Year V

Posts: 2634 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It was silly shit then, but from the perspective of three years later, it's dumbassery for the ages.

I wonder if he was cleaning Monkeypox off of his guns in 2021.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

How about a Hall of Fame sub-forum for old locked threads like this piece of gold here?

That would be fantastic.
I've often wanted to re-read that now decade old classic from Cliff, the tampon fairy doll maker, who spewed >>>ARE YOU SMOKING FUCKING DOPE?<<< Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
It seems that when a new members posts in any other section for the first time or two it serves as an introduction. Members will acknowledge their post and welcome them in. It is a more natural action.
<snip>

I’ve also seen that happen many times. It does seem like a more sincere welcome. I would vote for discontinuing the New Members Introduction section.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Hell, as a bonus, we even had an appearance from that "Welcome from Derby City" asshole.

The CUT!! Big Grin “Banned for being genuinely stupid”

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He was the real deal. Not a clue to be had.

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I almost never take a look at the new members section so it wouldn’t be missed as far as I’m concerned……now a section for those epic threads from years past would be awesome! There are definitely some pretty funny/entertaining shit in those!

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been here a few years now and I don't think I have ever been in there.

Cut the cord boss...let her slip into the abyss.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5050 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. It's kind of a silly area. If you want to meet folks, belly up to the lounge and contribute something more interesting than, "Howdy from Salt Lake".

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I usually ignore the new member section unless I see it's from my state then I will pop in to see how close they are.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8028 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked in there for years, until today.

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I check in there every once in a while to see someone give a welcome on a 2 year old introduction Smile

If it goes away it probably won't be missed.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
My favorite on another forum was people who would join. And then a few months later with only 30 posts or so would start welcoming other new people. I always associated with new hires welcoming other new hires in the same group.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The fact is- and statistics bear this out- most people who join forums such as this rarely post, if they post at all. It's true, and this forum is no exception. Go take a look at the low post counts for most of those members "introducing" themselves. Very few of them become regulars here.

This makes it all the more preposterous that members will pop into these threads to "welcome" someone who posted twice, nine months ago.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I tend to view SF using the Find -> New Since Your Last Visit function, so I see whatever pops up in whatever section.

If I happen to notice a post in the New Members Introduction section and I'm not busy or pressed for time I might follow-up to it, as I did earlier today.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a returning member to Sig Forum under a new moniker, I never post in the new section on any forum. It's just a way to pad post counts.

Dump it.

That being said, I do like the idea of a locked forum of ridiculous older threads. That's just fun.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Q.E.D.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...270025305#6270025305

The New Members Introduction section of the forum is now read-only and will be hidden shortly.