SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want to get my wife her grail sewing machine--a Bernina. Any advice?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want to get my wife her grail sewing machine--a Bernina. Any advice? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
My wife has always wanted a Bernina since she saw one demonstrated probably around the time we first met.
She doesn't do embroidery, does do general mending and sewing.
I see used model 530's and others on eBay at "reasonable" prices compared with the fanciest models new which cost around $4,000.
The ones I see advertised say they have been serviced.

If any of you (or your "better halves") have any advice on buying such used machines, please share.

Thanks

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
If there's no answers, I'll try to remember to ask our resident sewer/quilter at the office on Monday.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
My daughter is good friends with the owner of a small shop in Ponca City Oklahoma who carries Bernina and absolutely loves them.

https://cqsew.com/index.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24111 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
My wife has had one for about 20 years. They are great Swiss machines. In fact she has one of their embroiderers and a serger too. They're spendy but you do get what you pay for.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
One of my friends at work does a lot of sewing. She, too, swears by Bernina. I've heard nothing bad, ever, about Bernina.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken S's wife here. I am a big baby lock fan and because of that I have joined multiple groups on FB and Instagram that cater to Baby lock users. If your wife is on FB, my suggestion is to search for Bernina buy/sell groups and join. The baby lock sell/chat group I am in requires the seller to use paypal as paypal does offer recourse (though limited from my understanding) if there is an issue (don't get the machine after paying, if shipped there's damage, etc). Many times users on these groups stay members and interact even when not in the marketplace for a new machine. I was able to ask questions on videoes and training for a new to me machine I bought.

Also suggest checking with your local sew/quilt shops and let them know what you are looking for and to let you know if one comes in. You can contact shops that don't sell new Berninas, as they probably get all makes and models in for trade. The big plus side to this is while you will probably pay a little more, most come with some kind of guarantee AND they are gone over and any issues are fixed before you take home. You may also qualify for some classes with purchase.

I just bought a used serger off of FB marketplace. This gave me a chance to do a little background on them (i.e. I could see they had been a member of FB for years, had a good seller rating on Marketplace by buyers) and was able to see we had a mutual friend.

I personally am a little hesitant for buying off of ebay, but if you do make sure you do your research. Have they been selling for long? How are their ratings? Read reviews.

Hope this helps. Let Ken know if you have any questions and I will try to help.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my used Janome from a local sewing center where it was accepted as a trade in on a new machine. I paid $300 for what had originally been a $2,000 machine. I quilt and have used the hell out of it with never a lick of trouble.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Unless this is some sort of a surprise gift, I’d just tell her to get it. Let her get it from the shop she wants etc. if a Facebook purchase doesn’t work out for some reason or it craps out not your fault. Maybe drive her to the shop and say, “get whatever you want honey” that may retain the surprise effort.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother loved hers. Had it for about 20 yrs. my Aunt inherited it 10 yrs ago after moms passing and it’s going strong still. My Aunt is a quilter so it gets LOTS of use

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a used model a couple years ago.
She surfed the web (next door) for several months to find a family which was selling their deceased mother’s machine. She says she payed way less than retail. Good luck.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My mom still has and uses hers she bought about 50 years ago.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
My mom still has and uses hers she bought about 50 years ago.

Mine too.

I like the idea of driving to the sew shop and let her pick.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Have someone take a good look at it that knows sewing machines. Likely %10 of the ladies do %90 of the sewing. The others enjoy it but aren’t obsessed, those machines are the ones to find.

Between the top brands it’s SIG vs. HK vs. Glock, no real bad choices. It’s nice to find a machine with a servicing dealer under the roof. These old ladies will be happy to direct you. They know the deals and the dealers.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
At one point in my life, a very good friend and his wife owned a sewing machine business. She did the selling and he did the service. He raved about the Bernina machines as the best on the planet. That was years ago, however.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I don't know the brand names of the machines I tossed money at. Its OK, happy wife, you know the drill. I didn't even need to drive my wife to the shop, she drives herself. This long and expensive story started years and years ago, like in the late years of the last century. But remember the machine is only part of the story.

It started with her wanting a new sewing machine to replace the one we got for a wedding present, long ago. Then another and another. Each costing progressively more. Then one day she wanted to go to a gun show with me. Sirens and warning bells going off. Turns out there was an sewing show at the huge motel across the street from the fairgrounds/gunshow.

Now we're talking real money. I think that one ran about $7,000. I was a good hubby and just paid up and took my lumps. Next we need to talk about supplies. I went to an auction for a place that was going out of business. I'm not real good at auctions, but I can stand and fight with the best of them. About the 3rd table in after losing the first two, it was time to duke it out. At auctions, every one knows or see's who is bidding. So when the next table came up for bid, I got in early. It was going to be possible to out bid me, but they were going to pay if they did. The others saw I was serious, and I just kept bidding. It didn't take long for the others to drop out and I got what I thought was a bargain. It was thread I was bidding on, and a stack of backer fabric. (It keeps the thread from tearing out.

The sorry part was I had to somehow pack it all in a station wagon. I had the stuff packed from the floors to the ceiling. Commercial shops buy colors in boxes of a color at a time. The good part was I didn't have any on my lap for the drive back to work. I'm not very economical when it comes to stuff for her hobby. We have a very large plant, back a long drive. I pulled in and got out, only to discover I was pulling thread along with me. It went the hundreds of feet out to the road, then up the hill to the east. So I lost part of one "spool". No, not the spools ladies buy at the sewing shop, the large 5KM spools. But it was OK, I still had maybe a dozen more of that color. At 5KM each.

We could probably leave a trail of the breadcrumbs all the way to the west coast. So when you buy the machine, send me an email and I'll have my wife ship you a lifetimes supply of odds and ends of various colors. We can spare it, honest.

Then there are other supplies, like Tshirts. Went to a flea market and a guy was selling towels. It seems like the evil Chinese put a large towel maker out of business. That guy was nice and quoted me some prices on golf towels. Most had grommets in one corner. Again, a full carload. But only about 20 cents each. We're talking hundreds, but I don't give those away. Shirts, too. Around here, flea markets have both covered sites and outside ones. Take a stroll and see what locals have near you. Don't expect to score big right away. Just line your pockets with $$$ and go looking. One corner of the basement won't be big enough after a while.

Send me an email with shipping addy.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Janome Sewist 721 is the extent of my knowledge. Bought a new one for my ex-MIL to replace her mom’s 1950s White. It’s easy to get hooked with these machines.

Mulqueen’s was the shop, in Mesa AZ. Big outfit. Very trustworthy. I’d start my search through a big outfit which will offer a warranty.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do any of the local shops have sewing clubs. Maybe she can drop in and test drive a few machines.
Also the best time to buy machines is after a sew expo, see if they have one in the area.
My wire has several Vikings and yes they get expensive.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Find the local sewing machine store and take her there and tell her to get what she wants.
You already know the high end price.
It’s your wife she will buy this once and it will outlive her.

A gift like this is the time to let her buy what she real thinks she needs, not make the best of what you pick for her.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Find the local sewing machine store and take her there and tell her to get what she wants.
You already know the high end price.
It’s your wife she will buy this once and it will outlive her.

A gift like this is the time to let her buy what she real thinks she needs, not make the best of what you pick for her.

+1 on this advice. There are a number of options out there. Watched my mom go through the process of picking out her grail machine. She ended up not liking it much because it was too complicated for what she wanted to do. So it's important to let her spend some time with a good shop looking for the best fit.

HK Ag

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
My wife is on a waiting list for one of these. They are in very short supply from authorized dealers.

With the complexity of the machine and required annual maintenance she decided to stick with a bricks and mortar dealer.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post