SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are Brannock Devices accurate for you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Brannock Devices accurate for you? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I must just have a strange body. Off the rack shirts and pants are either too short or too wide. I can rarely find shoes to fit as well. I usually take what I can get.

The Brannock Device says I’m a 10 regular width but trying on a 10, I cannot get my foot in. An 11 will fit but if it’s not an extra wide, the shoe folds my little toe under the other toe. The only thing that generally fits me is a New Balance 608 size 11 4E. However, many times they’re made differently and the back of the shoe curves into the tendon on the back of my heel and it will rub the skin off. I have to try on many pairs and I don’t usually get a choice of color. I take what I can get.

I tried on an Under Armor shoe today, 11 is too short but a 12 fits length-wise but again it cramped my little toe. I’m sure there are tolerance in shoe making but a 2 size difference doesn’t make sense.

Does anyone find the Brannock Device accurate?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're accurate so long as you know how to use them and understand the various fit-profiles of the brands on the marketplace.

I've fitted & sold footwear for several decades both on the retail and wholesale side, the VAST majority of shoe sellers who have Brannock devices, aren't very knowledgeable of its use and what to do with the information, ALL the information, that is shown. The other half of fitting a persons feet is knowing the brands that are appropriate for that foot profile. Even then, the device doesn't solve all, you may have a high instep, you may have a narrow heel, you may have a large ankle bone which could cause problems with mid & high-cut boots, bone spurs, bunions, etc. In short, you need to know which brands & their models, that will work for that foot shape.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
They're accurate so long as you know how to use them and understand the various fit-profiles of the brands on the marketplace. …
Ok, here’s what I do. I put my right heel into the back of the Brannock Device. I stand putting pressure on that foot. My big toe reaches the line marked 10. So I slide the slider on the left to the 10 mark which is where the joint at the back of my big toe is and slide the width slider to touch my little toe.

Size 10 width A is what I get. Did I do it wrong?

quote:
I've fitted & sold footwear for several decades both on the retail and wholesale side, the VAST majority of shoe sellers who have Brannock devices, aren't very knowledgeable of its use and what to do with the information, ALL the information, that is shown. The other half of fitting a persons feet is knowing the brands that are appropriate for that foot profile. Even then, the device doesn't solve all, you may have a high instep, you may have a narrow heel, you may have a large ankle bone which could cause problems with mid & high-cut boots, bone spurs, bunions, etc. In short, you need to know which brands & their models, that will work for that foot shape.
I wish you were around here. Shoe stores are either self-serve or staffed by cashiers. No one fits a shoe for a customer anymore.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No. I need a very wide shoe, but more because my instep is very tall, and the Bannock device doesn't really see that. The width itself of my foot is wide, but not crazy wide.

As Corsair said, I have to know what shoes are taller to feet my feet.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
They're accurate so long as you know how to use them and understand the various fit-profiles of the brands on the marketplace. …
Ok, here’s what I do. I put my right heel into the back of the Brannock Device. I stand putting pressure on that foot. My big toe reaches the line marked 10. So I slide the slider on the left to the 10 mark which is where the joint at the back of my big toe is and slide the width slider to touch my little toe.

Size 10 width A is what I get. Did I do it wrong?

The right gender Brannock device was used right? Wink
Did you measure your heel-to-ball?
Does that measurement align with the heel-to-toe measurement or are they off? You take the higher measurement
Were you measured standing or, sitting....hint, you do both. The foot expands and your arch will settle when weight is applied.
Were both feet measured? Yes, they both need to be measured one is larger than the other, this is normal.

The device isn't a self-use device, you need to have a second person aligning the device and evaluate your foot shape. Brown shoe stores, comfort shoe stores, some technical outdoor/ski shops usually have a handful of employees that understand how to use that device and weigh those readings, along with your foot shape and figure-out what shoe(s) will be appropriate. After all that, you still need to try on various models and walk around in them, no puttering around or, rocking back n'forth. The device is simply a starting-point for the sales person/boot fitter to evaluate and gauge what is going to work. You can try on a shoe that 'should' fit but, if the toe isn't breaking right, there's too much pressure on the side, the instep is too tight, the heel cup doesn't fit right....then you tighten up the laces, you change socks, you change footbeds or, move-on to another.

Foot measuring is as much a science as it is an art, it's not hard but, it takes some experience to understand things. When I fitted backpacking and mountaineering boots, we'd tell the customer, 'this is going to be an hour-long process, do you have that much time?'

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
The right gender Brannock device was used right? Wink
Yes, but it seems the female one would have given me a better size reading. I'm closer to a 11.5 than I am a 10.

quote:
Did you measure your heel-to-ball?
Does that measurement align with the heel-to-toe measurement or are they off? You take the higher measurement
Yes, they are both 10 on the Brannock.
quote:
Were you measured standing or, sitting....hint, you do both. The foot expands and your arch will settle when weight is applied.
Standing but the variance is negligible.
quote:
Were both feet measured? Yes, they both need to be measured one is larger than the other, this is normal.
No, only my right foot which is the larger one.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Mt. Emey shoes from big wide shoes.com.

11 9E.

Shoes that fit my baby elephant feet.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need to go back to the XRAY foot machines of the 1950s. You could see the bones in your foot and stuff!

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm.... Brannock Device. Googling...Googling...
Aha! That thing that measures your dogs at the shoe store. SF educates me again!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think the devices are accurate, I think shoe sizing has gone out the window at the manufacturer level. I am an 11.5" EE on a Brannock and anywhere from a 12 to a 13 in an actual shoe, depending on the brand. Only in boots do I fit an 11.5 wide and not consistently, either.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth - if you have a company Red Wing Shoe store near you they actually do a 3d scan of your feet and the sizing seemed pretty accurate for me. They ordered a pair of shoes based on the sizing and they fit well. Granted it'll only cover their brands.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
i usually never wear, clothing or shoes, in the sizes that measuring says i should. especially shoes. maybe its just me, how i feel the item actually fits, but i am definitely off in size i wear to size i measure.

on shoes i measure out at a 12 but i always have to find a 14. no matter brand/model. a 12 is way too short for my feet and they all crunch my toes, even in wides. a 13 my toes are touching the shoe. a 14 is what fits. and of course finding a 14 is not easy. and when i find a shoe i like i usually keep buying that brand/model until they dont make it anymore then i find something else. recently i have found KEEN to fit well with its wide toe area.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I think the devices are accurate, I think shoe sizing has gone out the window at the manufacturer level. I am an 11.5" EE on a Brannock and anywhere from a 12 to a 13 in an actual shoe, depending on the brand. Only in boots do I fit an 11.5 wide and not consistently, either.
I was wondering if the issue was the manufacturers not sticking to a standard.

Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. Especially if we're talking athletic shoes. I don't think a single manufacturer makes shoes close to Brannock sizing. When I bought my Aldens and Vibergs, I bought a Brannock - and while that helps, even their different shoe lasts fit differently and are sized differently.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With sneakers, I have been forced to wear them using "gap lacing" to get more height for my foot shape. Then I use "runner's heel lock lacing" to secure the heel area from excess movement. This along with heel inserts and good insoles made a world of difference for my footwear fitting.

I second going to a red wing store. One of the best fitting I experienced took about 30 minutes and the man did a fantastic job.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Mark,

you mentioned 2 brands and they fit differently. Nike fits differently. Have you tried a running shoe store? The staff there is typically more knowledgeable than the large retailer.

quote:
understand the various fit-profiles of the brands on the marketplace.

This has been my experience. I typically try to stay with New Balance as I know their fit to my feet but sometimes something is on sale in another brand.

Hell I think finding the right shoe is like finding the right holster. Big Grin

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
With sneakers, I have been forced to wear them using "gap lacing" to get more height for my foot shape. Then I use "runner's heel lock lacing" to secure the heel area from excess movement. This along with heel inserts and good insoles made a world of difference for my footwear fitting.
I don’t know what any of that means so I’m requesting pictures.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Mark,

you mentioned 2 brands and they fit differently. Nike fits differently. Have you tried a running shoe store? The staff there is typically more knowledgeable than the large retailer.

This has been my experience. I typically try to stay with New Balance as I know their fit to my feet but sometimes something is on sale in another brand.

Hell I think finding the right shoe is like finding the right holster. Big Grin
i also stick with New Balance but you have to be careful. Sometimes the back of the shoe is made differently and it curves into the tendon above your heel.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Not sure your age but for me, I believe my stride has changed as I've aged. At least that's what my knees and feet are telling me.

There's a guy with an online store who sells New Balance. Personally I don't like their "foam" line or whatever it's called.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
This ^^^^^

I take anywhere from a 12R to a 13W, depending upon shoe/boot type, manufacturer, and model.

Only thing to do it try 'em on. Then I wear them only inside the house for a couple days to make sure.

That paid off, last year, when I'd thought I'd found ideally-fitting spikeless golf shoes, only to find, on Day 2, they were pinching my feet. I was able to exchange them for the next size up, which subsequently survived the two-day-in-the-home test.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post