SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The secret to life. Your post can be serious, or humorous.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The secret to life. Your post can be serious, or humorous. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A few years ago then 91 year old Ernest Borgnine gave one of the best responses I'd ever heard when asked what his secret to life was.

Posts: 5232 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
An unusual moment of seriousness from an inveterate wiseass:

One of my standard replies to "How's it going?" is both tongue-in-cheek and a basic truism: "I'm eatin' regular and I got a warm place to sleep. Pretty much everything else is gravy."

I try to remember that when I get in a pissy mood because I'm not driving a $70,000 pickup or some such.

My second guiding aphorism is "Things don't make you happy. Choosing to be happy makes you happy." Too many people set what I call "happiness goals". For example, "I'll be happy when I'm making six figures." or "I'll be happy when I own my own home." or "I'll be happy when I can afford a new car."

The problem with that is that "happy" becomes a moving target and you wind up dead before reaching it.

A woman my wife worked with many years ago said she could never be homeless as the stress would kill her! Not knowing where she was to sleep, or her next meal was to come from. So she always had a job, e or preferably a position, but with work she had no stress!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Illigitimi non carborundum.

My daily mantra

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
My grandmother always told me when I would be leaving after a visit; "You do the right thing." (And she always said: "Is that you?!" when I would show up.)

I am the only one to whom she said those two things.

For years I really did my best, everyday to "do the right thing.

She passed away at 104, I am blessed to have had her my whole life and my regret is not being able to spend more time with her.

There was a time that she took care of me for a few years, so she was more than "just grandma".

I was telling somone I have known for over 30 years, (a very good military friend) about what she always said to me as a "goodbye", and that I hoped I would "do the right thing".

He said; "I think she ment "that you do, do the right thing, as a statment. Not that you should do the right thing."

I never thought of it like that, but I will continue to go forward believing the first, and hope that the latter will be true in the end.

Yeah, she inspired my "signature", and I try, everyday.

That is why God gives us another day, so we can try again, all new. Remeber yesterday, learn from it.

Born again, everyday.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Stop worrying about things you can't change.

And always take the time to appreciate a beautiful woman. Smile

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
A few years ago then 91 year old Ernest Borgnine gave one of the best responses I'd ever heard when asked what his secret to life was.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3I_PeLNzxNQ" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

What was his "secret?" I can't understand him.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10569 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3I_PeLNzxNQ" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

What was his "secret?" I can't understand him.

"I masturbate a lot" is why the cast was laughing so hard!

Posts: 1715 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Rule #2: It's all small stuff.

Don't sweat the petty stuff... don't pet the sweaty stuff....

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
When in doubt, rub one out....

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8150 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

My second guiding aphorism is "Things don't make you happy. Choosing to be happy makes you happy." Too many people set what I call "happiness goals". For example, "I'll be happy when I'm making six figures." or "I'll be happy when I own my own home." or "I'll be happy when I can afford a new car."

I've been happily married for nearly 34 years, but something similar to this is an issue my wife struggles with. She's not so much on "happy when" related to material acquisitions. Her issue is that externals influence her happiness. There's always something wrong with everyplace we've lived (and I mean EVERYplace--some of the most beautiful places in the West).
"I guess I'm in a bad mood because [our daughter] didn't get that promotion."
"This job is OK, but..."
"Uhh, this weather is awful." I respond, "Jeez babe, this system is covering about 4 states; we're not the only ones getting this."

We have so much and she sees the negatives that don't mean a thing. I can't point this out, or it escalates.
Oh bla di, ob la da...

Posts: 13558 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money. Tom T. Hall.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
See my sig(nature).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“We do not ask to be born; and we do not ask to die. But born we are and die we must. We come into existence and we pass out of existence. And in neither case does high-handed fate await our ratification of its decree.”
— Corliss Lamont

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47674 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
These two quotes come to mind:

"All that we call human history - money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery - [is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy" - C.S. Lewis

"Rich, 'the Old Man said dreamily, 'is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." - Robert Ruark

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 900 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Remember that estrogen destroys logic, reason, common sense, E=MC2 and Occam's razor.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Read this last night. Not necessarily the secret to life, but I think it's pretty profound:

quote:
Sam Harris: Our minds are all we have. They are all we have ever had. And they are all we can offer others.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
PMA

Positive Mental Attitude

Posts: 13558 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It's cheese. I was put on this earth to eat cheese.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post