SIGforum
Happy pi day.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7650083705

March 14, 2024, 08:20 AM
Jim Shugart
Happy pi day.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
March 14, 2024, 08:42 AM
Glynn863
So what is the meaning of the square root of -1, which is a mathematical impossibility?

I got the other "___ 8 sum pi" ("___ ate some pie")
March 14, 2024, 08:45 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by Glynn863:
So what is the meaning of the square root of -1, which is a mathematical impossibility?

i for irrational number?

The Enemy's gate is down.
March 14, 2024, 08:47 AM
architect
quote:
Originally posted by Glynn863:

Look up "complex numbers" in your favorite search engine.
March 14, 2024, 08:49 AM
Jim Shugart
Don't worry about it, it's just imaginary.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
March 14, 2024, 09:06 AM
Mr. Peteroniman
it was delicious, but my circumference is growing, the more I eat

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz
March 14, 2024, 09:31 AM
chellim1
Pi Day is celebrated on March 14th (3/14) around the world. Pi (Greek letter “π”) is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant — the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter — which is approximately 3.14159. Pi Day is an annual opportunity for math enthusiasts to recite the infinite digits of Pi, talk to their friends about math, and eat pie.

Pi has been calculated to over 50 trillion digits beyond its decimal point. As an irrational and transcendental number, it will continue infinitely without repetition or pattern. While only a handful of digits are needed for typical calculations, pi’s infinite nature makes it a fun challenge to memorize, and to computationally calculate more and more digits.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
March 14, 2024, 09:59 AM
Gustofer
^^^^ There’s an error in that picture. It’s correct up to 7510… then it goes off the rails. Wink

I memorized it on a bet when I was 15 and still remember it. I often-times will forget where I parked, but ask me pi to 62 places and I’m all over it. Confused

I think I’ll just go have some German Chocolate cheesecake pie and shut up.

March 14, 2024, 10:26 AM
pace40
Key Lime please!

March 14, 2024, 10:31 AM
tatortodd

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 14, 2024, 04:12 PM
400m
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I memorized it on a bet when I was 15 and still remember it. I often-times will forget where I parked, but ask me pi to 62 places and I’m all over it.

What did you win?
March 14, 2024, 05:01 PM
Ryanp225
My condolences to the nerds who celebrating March 14th as pi day. You're missing the boat.
March 14, 2024, 05:28 PM
jhe888
It is unreal.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 14, 2024, 06:50 PM
.38supersig
I tried posting about τ.

It received very little interest, but was twice as much π.

Wink

March 14, 2024, 07:02 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

It is unreal.
Can you imagine that?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 14, 2024, 07:13 PM
egregore

March 14, 2024, 08:52 PM
Balzé Halzé
Pizza?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
March 15, 2024, 01:02 AM
sjtill
And to inject some totally gratuitous politics:
Happy Karl Marx Death Day!

March 15, 2024, 05:11 AM
henryaz

When in doubt, mumble