SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Omaha, Nebraska good restaurants.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Omaha, Nebraska good restaurants. Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted
Please, no chains. I know how to find those.

I would like to know about great breakfast spots, and excellent dinner spots, authentic local food.

Wherever I travel, I try to find something local that is amazing and I would like to do that here as well. Any suggestions would be welcomed! Thank you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5490 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Lived there for 20 years. The locally owned steakhouses were largely a disappointment. Poor seasoning, well done steaks and pasta with red sauce as a side. No imagination at all.

There used to be a place that served carp sandwiches. Never bothered.

There should me some good Mom and Pop Mexican places as they came in to work the stockyards.

Been gone for 20 years now, so hopefully you will be more successful than was I.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20385 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I used to have a client there, and like many cities where I had no clue where to go I used sites visited by Guy on DDD. Their website allows a search by city.

Don't remember the place they had been there, but that was 7+ years ago as well.

Agreed on the steakhouses. Lots of hype, and the old-school feel is nostalgic, but food subpar.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
From my brother, an Omaha resident:

Shirley’s Diner and Vidlak’s and Summer Kitchen for breakfast .. not my favorites but a local faves. Spezia’s and Nicola’s for Italian. Both are local. Mahogany’s for steak (not local but regional) or Johnny’s Steakhouse in South Omaha is about the last old Omaha steakhouses. Twisted Cork is also very popular for dinner.

Posts: 13546 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
V Mertz is a nice place. Down in the old Market area. Upstream Brewery is there. Maybe not "authentic Omaha" but a good laid-back restaurant.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6895 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I’ll look into these.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
All good suggestions so far. Add Omaha Prime -- steak house in the Old Market area. 801 Chop house (a regional chain) also very good high end steak place. Add Pasta Amore for Italian, Jai Pur for Indian, Block 16 for gastro pub. V Mertz mentioned above is fine dining, as is Boiler Room--both are very good.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 240 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warren Buffet prefers Gorats Steakhouse.
Gorats Steakhouse.com Omaha.
Easy to find, good location.

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Warren Buffet prefers Gorats Steakhouse.
Gorats Steakhouse.com Omaha.
Easy to find, good location.

Years ago we had a family dinner at Gorats and Buffett was at the table right next to ours. We didn’t talk Wink

Posts: 13546 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I knew I could count on you to point me in the right direction. I’ll report back!

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Cascio’s Steakhouse. Shuck’s Seafood. Copp’s Pizza. A couple places on DDD still exist.

Angie’s, when open, was great Italian as was Lo Sole Mio was great Tuscan/Italian. Greta’s was good German food but, unfortunately they are gone.

I almost forgot the crescent Moon for Reuben’s. Big Mamma’s Soul Food. Both of those places were on Man Vs. Food.

Posts: 4113 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. In another thread, I mentioned the fact that I’m traveling for kids sports, so the only “luxury” I’m getting out of the deal is the food Wink. Thank you for your suggestions.

"Trust, but verify."

Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
If you like Detroit style pizza, check out Izzy's Pizza. They were in Las Vegas as an amazing pizza bus and now have a restaurant in Omaha. Very good pizza!

Posts: 632 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:
All good suggestions so far. Add Omaha Prime -- steak house in the Old Market area. 801 Chop house (a regional chain) also very good high end steak place. Add Pasta Amore for Italian, Jai Pur for Indian, Block 16 for gastro pub. V Mertz mentioned above is fine dining, as is Boiler Room--both are very good.

Man.. I forgot about Block 16. Excellent burgers!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Thanks again. In another thread, I mentioned the fact that I’m traveling for kids sports, so the only “luxury” I’m getting out of the deal is the food Wink. Thank you for your suggestions.

Did you get to “The Big O” yet? Or you there for the downtown madhouse of the CWS?

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Was there for the CWS madness with a group of baseball players. Did not get to go out for dinner privately but once, and we stuck close to our hotel- Twisted Cork was where we ended up.. would’ve loved to try those steakhouses, but it wasn’t going to work with all the moving parts we had going on.
The food was good, but next time I’m going to try one of those steakhouses!
Thanks again!

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Go where the locals eat for the best breakfast and dinner spots. Look for cafes and diners for breakfast and local joints for dinner. Enjoy your foodie exploration!

Posts: 52 | Location: MS, USA | Registered: February 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I just didn’t realize the time constraints, and combined with the fact that 1 game result determines when the next game will happen (including crack of dawn games) it kind of limited options of poking around during the day. Next year (if we go)!

"Trust, but verify."

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Not restaurant related, but if you haven't been, check out the SAC Museum in nearby Ashland.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post