SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oklahoma State Superintendent Mandates Bible Study in Public Schools
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oklahoma State Superintendent Mandates Bible Study in Public Schools Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Where did you get Bible study or daily religious study from? The article mentions nothing of the sort. The gentleman wasn’t elected, he was appointed.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Our country was founded on Christian beliefs. The Ten Commandments are basically what make up our laws. Having children learn and follow the laws of our God is not a bad thing.

Too many people will freak out and say “SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!!”

Teaching good moral values shouldn’t be a controversy.

I don’t get why so many people are against this. They are wanting to teach your kids good things. The flip side is teaching your kid that there are 147,652 genders. Allowing kids to shit in a catbox because they identify as a furbie is okay, but a prayer… that’ll fuck them up.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Teaching good MY moral values shouldn’t be a controversy.

Fixed it for you. You realize people in EVERY religion feel that way, right? And they all feel that theirs is the best, most righteous. That can’t possibly go anywhere bad…

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17622 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I wish they would focus on reading, writing, math, critical thinking and bring back shop classes

The Bible is an optional item but we already have churches whose soul purpose of existence is the Bible.

Waste of time in a school.

I saw what you did there. Wink

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
This and the bullshit in Louisiana need to stop. Kids can't even get out of school with the ability to READ or do basic math. Many schools don't even teach science until the later grades. Kids are not learning how to survive in modern society or the modern workplace. If you want Jesus and the bible in your life, that's great. Go to church.

Also, this seems like pandering. It is already being challenged and will more than likely not hold up in court. It's like gun laws that are obviously not holding up to scrutiny based on the Bruen (or other) decision. They are a waste of taxpayer money just to score political points.

I’m a Christian yet most of what you state here is true. This is simply pandering to get votes from evangelicals in an election year. But most Christian’s will not see they are being played.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Teaching good MY moral values shouldn’t be a controversy.

Fixed it for you. You realize people in EVERY religion feel that way, right? And they all feel that theirs is the best, most righteous. That can’t possibly go anywhere bad…

FEV, I can’t really argue your point. While I am not an active church going Christian and I think Christian values are good, you may have different values that you wish to instill in your children, and you have the right, and should always have the right to teach your children as you see fit whether I agree in said values or not.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I wish they would focus on reading, writing, math, critical thinking and bring back shop classes

The Bible is an optional item but we already have churches whose soul purpose of existence is the Bible.

Waste of time in a school.

I saw what you did there. Wink

Big Grin

Posts: 53850 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, this is probably one of the lesser issues with public schools but:

A) America was founded by a culture centered on Protestant Christianity.

B) Everyone likes to “hype/outright fabricate” the influence of other groups, but their involvement was minimal.

C) Teaching American Philosophy would involve teaching Protestant Christianity as a source material. (And of course it won’t be taught in a historical context. Frankly, for the atheists, look at the stats of Protestant societies vs all others. If you really do worship reason, you should support the spread of Protestantism, based on the results.)

D) Teaching American Philosophy would drive both parties insane.

E) Right now, kids are being programmed into a life of hell, by mega corps. They even order the same coffees.

Get to know a group of average teens (heck, the ones I know may be above average, as they are working - but they are broken to a terrifying extent.)

Ideally, shut the &@@ schools down, and eliminate one of the sources poisoning their minds - but if it can be used to counter their emotional and mental destruction at the hands of the Ivy League Cronies, I understand.

The Crony class is in PsyOp war against America - they really would rather rule in Hell, than live in Heaven - and they believe their own BS.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

FEV, I can’t really argue your point. While I am not an active church going Christian and I think Christian values are good, you may have different values that you wish to instill in your children, and you have the right, and should always have the right to teach your children as you see fit whether I agree in said values or not.

That is very well stated. I feel the same way looking at your perspective.

quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Frankly, for the atheists, look at the stats of Protestant societies vs all others. If you really do worship reason, you should support the spread of Protestantism, based on the results.)

Ok. You totally lost me there. Are you insinuating that Protestant-based societies prospered above all others? If so, your reasoning is flawed. Look up correlation vs. causation.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17622 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok. You totally lost me there. Are you insinuating that Protestant-based societies prospered above all others? If so, your reasoning is flawed. Look up correlation vs. causation.

Are you disputing that Protestant societies are more affluent than non-Protestant, or that being Protestant was an effect of their culture before?

I'm not sure how that could be separated, but it definitely seems linked with a respect of individuals and "Truth as it Actually Is."

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The gentleman wasn’t elected, he was appointed.

False. In Oklahoma, the State Superintendent of Public Instruction is elected by the people.

Posts: 526 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
In California, it is against the law to bring a Bible to school. OTH, a required course in the seventh grade is the study of Islam. I didn't abandon my son to the God forsaken public schools and instead put him through a private Christian school. However, the Christian school was/is in California, so even there, they had to teach Islam!

I personally believe the Left is out to destroy this country, and one of their tools has been to erase God from all public squares.

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10860 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
In California, it is against the law to bring a Bible to school. OTH, a required course in the seventh grade is the study of Islam. I didn't abandon my son to the God forsaken public schools and instead put him through a private Christian school. However, the Christian school was/is in California, so even there, they had to teach Islam!

I personally believe the Left is out to destroy this country, and one of their tools has been to erase God from all public squares.

The last 60 years or so are in full agreement with you. There's a reason that Leftists, who want to persecute Christians for merely identifying homosexuality as sinful behavior, align with, and support, Islamists who want to murder homosexuals.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Bible is as classic a piece of literature as anything else taught in school, and beats the shit out the political activism schools seem to be pushing.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see it. If they can push evolution and dei crap, the Bible should also be used. It's a shame that most people don't know the 10 Commandments, let alone live by them.

Posts: 7080 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post