SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Antique lathe: worth restoring or not?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique lathe: worth restoring or not? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Wondering what to do with it. Restore? Sell (absolutely no clue as to value)? Suggestions? Comments?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Restore it if it's something you want to keep for yourself.
I don't think it's something that's especially valuable so if you do restore and sell, your hourly wage will be a fraction of minimum wage.
Look it over carefully to see if there is any indication of brand or numbers then do a search.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That looks like something PHPaul or GrumpyBiker would like to play with. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had one similar to that in the workshop at his business. It and several other tools (band saw, table saw, planer) ran off a shaft driven by a single motor.

My dad ended up with all of it and restored all of the tools. They run great to this day. The lathe was a combination metal and wood and we did a lot of little projects before I moved out on my own.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I used it many many moons ago. It has sat in my parents house (Upstate NY) for decades and now that the house is up for sale this needs disposition.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16257 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'd restore it for nothing more than sentiment. I'm sure if you do restore it, you will have a sense of personal reward and pride.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
in a word No,I see no value other than scrap

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That's a wood lathe, and a pretty basic one at that. Somewhat unusual due to age and the grinder attachment.

Would be an easy restore, if it has sentimental value, go for it.

I doubt it has much value otherwise.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15274 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
The base scares me.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Fresh bearings and a modern motor and it should do what a new would do. Maybe even better. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have almost the same one.

I make my wands with it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34142 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
This might help at least to date the motor:https://www.mechanicalmusicpress.com/registry/motors/cpmotors.htm

Seems the company closed up in 1972.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
The motor manufacturer had quite a history:http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/t/thomas_chauncey/holtzer_electric.htm

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
This might help at least to date the motor:https://www.mechanicalmusicpress.com/registry/motors/cpmotors.htm

Thanks. Looks to be a 1929 vintage motor. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The motor is possibly the best part of the machine. Wink

Posts: 26950 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
That lathe looks decently clean. The ones with pattern-maker equipment can be really fun.

I'm no expert, but I've restored a number of vintage wood lathes and drill presses. Biggest critical thing I've found is to avoid any that have bent shafts or core assemblies. You can find replacements but it's hit or miss on ebay.

I've mentioned this before in other threads but back in the 1950's my dad had a leather shop. He got a 1938 era Wards Power-Kraft drill press that he used for many years. It moved into another business where it served until he passed. I grew up using this lathe.
In 2006 or so the building it was in was damaged in a hurricane and water dripped down and made the press damp which caused rust- here it is before-

Here it is after-

Only thing I painted was the motor and I masked off the brass ID plate. The rest was originally raw metal and it cleaned up nicely. Those original painted areas were done pretty darned well.

In cleaning things like this- bronze wool and oil works well for the delicate. I replaced all of the original bearings and one bushing. I found one broken piece in the motor speed control that I had to make but it was straightforward. New cord. (Always add a ground if not originally equipped).

Biggest thing I learned about doing old electric motors is whatever you do- when you are cleaning/scraping/brushing dust/dirt/debris/rust from electric motors, dissembled or not...
DO NOT blow compressed air into the armature/coils internals. Instead- vacuum material away with a brush head shop vac as much as possible. The reason for this is that much of that rust/metal debris is conductive and if you blow it into the winding/armature it will cause problems. As far as value- if you like it and you get it at a workable price, use it and enjoy it.
Good luck!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for old machines, especially if kept in the family. If you're up for a project, start by looking at the following:
http://owwm.org/
http://vintagemachinery.org/

If you're not up for a project, someone at the above may be interested in providing you with a little cash to take it off your hands, or may need parts.

The photos alone may inspire you.
New bearings can be had. If the motor runs, it is probably the best part of the package.

Posts: 89 | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That lathe looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
If not already aware, the grinder portion is not part of the original lathe assembly. They used a modern coupler to share power between the lathe and grinder.

As far as the lathe being dangerous, no more than any other wood lathe in my opinion.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It would be nice for doing wood turning. Restore it and use it in your basement or garage. Needs a tail stock center. Some kind of Morse taper. Grinder will sharpen and shape your turning tools.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post