SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apparently it's a bit windy on the East Coast.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apparently it's a bit windy on the East Coast. Login/Join 
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
No power for 18 hours and counting. Definitely windy and trees down but I've seen worse.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Still blowing here in Manassas.

Neighbor lady (widow) is not home, but called us to see how things were going.

I did a walk around her place. One big tree, about 24 inches thick, came down but fortunately fell away from the house and pretty much along side another drive way. Grandson and I will end up cutting it up. Saves here boat load of money and we get to use the firewood.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It’s a mess in the Philadelphia region; high winds and heavy wet snow taking trees down all over the place. The ground is very saturated by all the rain we’ve previously received in the past 10-12 days so it’s not helping with these trees. So far so good at my house, power is still on but work got knocked out and is running on generator power right now.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tucker Carlson reported tonight that that federal employees in Washington DC did not work today because of...

the wind!

Unbeeleevabul!

I really am at a loss for words. How can ANYONE justify this?!?

BTW, what kind of wind speeds are we talking about?

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Tucker Carlson reported tonight that that federal employees in Washington DC did not work today because of...

the wind!

Unbeeleevabul!

I really am at a loss for words. How can ANYONE justify this?!?

Because its somebody elses money!!!

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
You aren’t here, so I don’t expect you to understand

95 South is closed because the sign for the Potomac mills shopping mall is in danger of falling onto the roadway from the continued sustained wind force

That sign has been up over 20 years and survived the derecho we had several years ago as well as hurricanes Irene and Isabel, if that gives you any indication of the sustained wind strength here

Most of the major bridges in the area are closed because tractor trailers are being blown onto their sides as they try to cross them

Schools are closed because school buses are blowing over. There was a bus that blew over in the school lot today

My 6’8, 195 pound 16 year old briefly took flight this afternoon while helping me secure things around the house

In my 12 yearsa hwre the NWS has certified two tornadoes in this neighborhood (Virginians will understand exactly how rare and uncommon that is). And yet, through 3 hurricane and 2 tornadoes and a derecho this is the first time I’ve ever lost power. Going on 12 hours now

So before you complain about a “little bit of wind” maybe get some context. My understanding is he nature of the wind and it’s sustained direction of travel makes it more damaging at lower MPH than the circular winds of a hurricane

I watched a UPS truck trying to make a turn today get blown over in an intersection. Driver was going extremely slow and big gust came and off he went

Its one hellacious storm

(And yet my middle son is still supposed to play soccer at 0830 tomorrow morning. Got to love the almighty dollar. If they cancel tournament games they have to refund the entry fee. I fucking hate this shit)

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Although I sympathize with all those whose power is out, winds of 70mph are nothing to brag about. I lived for 2 1/2 years on a mountain of coastal Oregon where the gusts in the winter reached 150 knots (~170mph)--I've been out walking when it was 100knots (115 mph), which was difficult, I'll admit.

And yes, vehicles with a lot of flat metal sides are likely to be overturned by the wind. I can understand having them off the roads.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Not exactly small aircraft; a CRJ200 and guppy!

Those are small. It's all relative, though.

Some of those towers really get to swaying in the wind. I wouldn't want to be in one, either.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

So before you complain about a “little bit of wind” maybe get some context. My understanding is he nature of the wind and it’s sustained direction of travel makes it more damaging at lower MPH than the circular winds of a hurricane

That's not correct, and while the winds of a hurricane are not "circular," the most destructive winds are; tornadoes.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, no shit there I was. The mr toads wild ride one was me. I thought it was funny, so did ISP tower controller. Wasn't really all that bad, gusting to 34 knots in heavy rain, pressure was 29.15 which is the lowest I've seen while flying. After we landed it changed to rain, snow, and ice pellets, all at once. Just when you think you've seen it all!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
That's pretty awesome to have the author of that PIREP here on the forum.

I kept an eye out all day for interesting and creative remarks.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
We're starting to dry out now. The combination of wind and heavy rains uprooted a lot of trees and caused a significant amount of otherwise healthy trees to break.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Wind wasn't too bad in inland New England but the coast was wild. My brother flew out of Logan at 0600 yesterday. He's never felt a plane (737-900) buffeted by the wind so much while taxiing. Was a wild ride until halfway across NY on the say to Seattle.

Here is a picture from Watertown, MA (abuts Boston).

and a link to the thread it's in

New England Storm Thread on NES

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Lots of lights out some at major intersections around me making getting around a PIA.

People still have no power. Lots of metal flashing and aluminum fascias ripped off. A good friend sent me a picture of a piece hanging off her house that was banging against the house all night.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Power was out in my place in Loudoun for 33 hours. The felines were most unhappy, for I caused the house to be cold.

Toppled trees everywhere, including my yard (neighbor's tree, destroyed their fence, hit my grass).

As for wind intensity, a "gust" woke me at 0400 yesterday. It lasted perhaps a minute and was so strong I thought I was about to be in the midst of a toppled house, it was shaking and creaking so bad. Then the power went out (due to a tree taking out the power distribution line to my area). Then the "gust" subsided to around 25 knots. That kept happening through mid-afternoon.

In all, a typical Wyoming day.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Just got power back after 26 fun-filled hours.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Imagine trying to use the toilet.

Thanks for making me throw up.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I lost a ceiling fan, by patio table, and probably my fridge. Fridge started working again about an hour after the power was restored, so I am guessing its on its way out.

Gentleman's house I went to emergency call today had his meter and meter enclosure smashed. Not going back until Tuesday to fix it, with his power company the meter enclosure is his property so it's very unlikely the power company will replace it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drove all night to get from VA to Boston.

No flight out to maybe Sunday or Monday.

I weigh 180 lbs. I was being lifted off my feet trying to walk across a plaza into a building.

A walkway was closed because one you could be blown off it.

It's thick glass panels were bending and shattering.

Small trees in the parking lot were being snapped.

I rented a Tahoe and it was being shaken by the wind.

Took the Tahoe over dirt roads being detoured around multi hours backups and accidents.

Took 3 house to get to Maryland, usually a 45 minute trip because of bridge closures.

100s of trucks lined up going south where we got on 95 going north. 95 south was closed.

Once on 95 it was uneventful traffic except getting shaken by the wind gusts.

Trip took 12 hours.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of my roof was scattered around the yard.
Lost power for 2 1/2 hours but the generator kicked in took care that that. But I definitely will be getting some roof work done.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

In all, a typical Wyoming day.

That's the truth. But then it is God's country.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post