SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pebble bottom on a shower?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pebble bottom on a shower? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
We are redoing our shower. Wife wants to look into the pebble or rock flooring. Anyone have this? Hard to clean? Comfortable on the feet? Anything else you can share?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Don't own one, so I can't comment on the cleanup, but I stayed in a hotel with showers with pebble floors for a while.

Personally, I didn't like it. It felt unstable to stand on. Not uncomfortable, just unstable.

My .02.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife insisted on a pebble foor when we remodeled our master shower a couple years before we divorced.

It wasn't uncomfortable, but it was kind of a pain to keep clean.

It's nearly impossible to lay a pebble floor that drains fully, so you end up with pools and pockets of water collecting in low spots along the grout between the pebbles. This, in turn, breeds mildew.

And because of the texture, you can't fully squeegee the water off either.

Therefore, we ended up having to scrub pink slime from various sections of the floor every week or two, even with the use of mildew-resistant grout and sealant.

I would recommend against it.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
This is our second house with a master shower with the river rock floor. If we were building I don’t think we’d choose it. Since we’ve bought spec, well we really didn’t have an option.

In my experience it’s hard to clean and has a tendency to trap dirt/soap between the rocks due to the difference surface elevations of the rocks and mortar. Parents have one that somehow had a sharp edge turned upward on one of the rocks. Had to spend some time carefully grinding that down and smoothing it out.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We spent 5 months in a vacation rental where the tub was pulled out and a large shower was built to replace it. The floor was pebble and I liked it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. Hard to clean and slippery if not cleaned weekly. If not laid properly difficulty in draining.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Nope.
Uneven
Puddles
Mold/mildew

Due to my stroke, I’m worried of falling in the shower and an uneven area would make me use the other bath.

Our current shower is a molded plastic (like cutting boards are made of) tray. And I’m thinking of adding grab bars just because. Or putting those sandpaper flowers like we had in the 70s

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've been in them before. You couldn't give me one.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, seems like similar issues with everyone. This time the forum saved me money! Now Ill go spend that tile money on gun stuff...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Now Ill go spend that tile money on gun stuff...

Excellent decision! Big Grin

Posts: 6910 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but you figured out the correct answer.

We did a remodel with a tub to shower conversion. Everyone we talked to recommended against the pebbles for the reasons stated. We went with a 1” square tile. Easy to grade properly for drainage, easy to lay, smooth enough that nothing is getting “stuck”, and the grout lines are just enough to provide good traction when wet.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Had the same base as pictured, wouldn’t do it again, uncomfortable in spots and also can be a pain to clean

Posts: 2305 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We remodeled by removing the tub and stall shower and replacing both with a large walk-in shower with pebble floor. We chose a river rock pebble style that had the tops polished flat and don't have any of the problems mentioned above. The guy who did the work removed the pebbles from the 'tile-sheets' and individually laid each pebble (that really surprised us). The result is a fairly flat surface that is comfortable, drains well, and you don't see any straight grout lines. It was a good decision for us.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Maybe it depends on what you do and how it is installed? Our shower is frequently used, cleaned once every two weeks and we have no issues.

No pooling. Used the proper grout for the tile and the base. Was professionally installed.

Was installed more than five years ago.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a shower built and used a type of pebble on the floor . If I had to do it over I would look for an alternative .

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Due to my stroke, I’m worried of falling in the shower . . . I’m thinking of adding grab bars
Do it! Don't wait. Support Shower Safety For Seniors!

My balance is terrible at times. I ordered a couple of bars from Amazon (local hardware stores had them in stainless, but I wanted the white finish) and had the local handyman install them.

I am much safer in the shower now.

I also grabbed s simple, inexpensive, shower chair from the local medical supply store, and I sit in the shower stall instead of standing. I replaced the fixed shower head with one on a six foot hose.

After surgery to implant support hardware for hip / thigh fracture following a fall, a week in the hospital, month and a half in a live-in rehab place, many months of outpatient physical therapy. I do NOT want to fall again and break something else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a rock floor in our basement shower and like it, don't find it slippery at all, feels good on the feet and looks great. Have not heard Mrs. CP complaining about cleaning it. I did seal it real good before it was put in use. Yes, would use it again.

Posts: 413 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If it was large enough rocks, maybe the larger Mexican beach rocks, it might be OK, but mine is miserable.

It is pretty non-slip though, but I always worry about what I’m supposed to clean it with.

Really don’t understand the why of them.

Posts: 5724 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am expanding my en-suite shower and was going to do the same with polished river stone but have decided against it.

While it’s easy on the feet it makes cleanups more problematic and I’m willing to bet that the annoyances will outweigh the aesthetics.

Out here the water evaporates so quickly that my shower is bone dry after an hour but we have very low humidity. Any place over 35 or 40% won’t enjoy that benefit.

While I think they look cool I would vote no.

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
We have it in our shower and I love it. Not slippery, drains well, feels like a little massage on the feet and I feel like I am at the spa every time I take a shower.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post