SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Downed tree limb (not my tree)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Downed tree limb (not my tree) Login/Join 
posted
Watching tv 45 min. ago and hear this loud cracking sound from the back of my yard then a minute later hear a second louder cracking and a crashing sound.

Turns out a limb ( 16-18 in. dia) from a large old tree on the county park/golf course side of my property cracked off and fell on my fence and partially into my yard.

Going to be calling my homeowners ins. and the county tomorrow.

Wondering if anyone has an idea if the county will take care of the limb and branches in my yard. Assuming my h.o. ins. will cover the fence repair and maybe the clean up if the county balks.

Tree is large and old and probably deteriorating though it still has branches with leaves. I have talked to the county about it before and the wouldn't take it down or trim it becacuse of some restriction of how they came into possession of the property.

Looking for some suggestions of how to approach the county about cleaning up the mess in my yard and taking down the rest of the tree.

Thanks for any advice. Will see if I can get a few pictures up tomorrow.

Posts: 269 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
If it was a storm that caused it, then generally it's your responsibility unless the county was aware that the tree had an issue that they knew made it dangerous.

If it just fell on its own, then the county should be responsible for it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Turn it in to your insurance and let them handle any issues with the county. After all, they have a vested interest in paying out as little as possible. And anything on your side of the fence (or property line, if different) is yours now. Do you have a fireplace?

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
You advised county of the tree problem. County declined to do anything regarding the tree. County is now responsible for the tree and all damages that occurred.

Posts: 2370 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m the type to consider not involving the insurance company. Of course it depends on type of fence, expected cost to repair and if you can do much yourself, friends/relatives.

Over the years with homeowners insurance, a common refrain is carry a high deductible & don’t call them unless major damage.

Of course, estimated costs and your ability for some DIY, factors in.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
My tree on my property came down and due to recent claims I didn't even consider calling my HO insurance.

I made a deposit with a tree company, but haven't seen them yet. I don't think I'm being ghosted, but I'm getting pretty tired of waiting for them to "get their chipper fixed."

I finally fired up the trusty Stihl yesterday and at least cut the downed limb off the generator and my little blueberry patch.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a dozen pictures,
And start in on cleaning it up.

Storm damage is worst first situation.

Might be a week before they come, if they come.

If you hire someone get three estimates prior to hiring.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55174 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I had a tree come down on my property last year.
I did not have a chain saw at the time, so I went down to the Stihl dealer and bought one.

End of tree issue. It now resides off my property and is deposited on the land from which it came.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The county park manager was out this morning to start clearing the bike path. He told me that the county would get the tree limb cleared off my fence and out of my yard. He was looking it over to figure out how best to remove it.
They have this happen all along this bike path though he said this is the worst one he's seen in a couple of years.
Have a friend who will help repair the fence once they get the tree mess cleaned up.

Posts: 269 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
it is my understanding that if falls on your property, it is your problem. it doesn't matter where the trunk is located

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2034 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats my understanding also. I think the county does this as a good neighbor policy. Found out that they plan on repairing my fence also.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:
it is my understanding that if falls on your property, it is your problem. it doesn't matter where the trunk is located

Unless you have notified the property owner, in writing, best sent signature required for proof, that the tree is endangering your property, at that point it makes them 100% responsible for all damages from that tree.

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
at that point it makes them 100% responsible for all damages from that tree

Only if the actual facts and condition of the tree match the risk described. And you'd have to prove that to support the claim.

Otherwise I'd be sending a letter to everyone with a tree anywhere near me.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McGregor:
Thats my understanding also. I think the county does this as a good neighbor policy. Found out that they plan on repairing my fence also.

Well if they follow thru, then it worked out well. Good luck.

Posts: 1081 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I worked for a municipal water utility. If a tree from one of our sites fell into someone's yard we took care of it. During hurricane Sandy I had over 20 homeowners contact me over this. We took care of all of them eventually being reimbursed by FEMA.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post