SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple (AAPL) – Tim Cook couldn’t do it? Then just Homebrew it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple (AAPL) – Tim Cook couldn’t do it? Then just Homebrew it Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^
I write programs to make my life easier/better. A couple of examples:

Example 1 – My T-Mobile plan has a limited amount of unthrottled Hotspot data in each monthly period. So I wrote a program to keep track of my Hotspot data usage. It does this:
* Prompts me to enter the amount used today. I get that info from the T-Mobile app on my iPhone.
* It then produces a nicely formatted report with the following fields:
Day and date
Amount used today
Amount used in period
Average daily usage over the last 30 days
Prediction of amount that I’ll use in current period
Number of days remaining in current period
(The T-Mobile app also reports that, but often incorrectly)

Example 2 – I value the Clippings (Notes and Highlights) of my Kindle books. The Kindle has them in chronological order. A lousy organization if you read book A awhile, then book B awhile, then book A, etc. So I wrote a program that sorts my Kindle Clippings multiple ways. The most significant order is author name. The 2nd most significant is book title. 3rd most is location in book. A MUCH more useful order.

Example 3 – I hate spreadsheets, especially Apple Numbers. So I wrote special purpose relational database programs to replace all spreadsheets that I’d previously created on my MacBook.

I’ll just add that I consider writing programs to be great recreation!

I forgot I asked you that question. Thank you for the answer. I can understand how it could be fun recreation. Back when I had access to a sql server and had the MS sql server platform in my computers, I very much enjoyed writing reports and then modifying and making them better and more user friendly for the end users.
Those are about the only things I miss from my job in Washington, that and working for sane people.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just had an interesting thought architect.

Boot up your Sonoma Mac in Target Disk mode connected via a Thunderbolt cable to your High Sierra Mac (that doesn’t have the weird Tim Cook “protections”).

Then, operating from the High Sierra Mac, perhaps you can delete the stale Homebrew stuff from your Sonoma Mac.

Maybe a brain fart, but something to try.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I just had an interesting thought architect.

Boot up your Sonoma Mac in Target Disk mode connected via a Thunderbolt cable to your High Sierra Mac (that doesn’t have the weird Tim Cook “protections”).

Then, operating from the High Sierra Mac, perhaps you can delete the stale Homebrew stuff from your Sonoma Mac.

Maybe a brain fart, but something to try.
Last time I used "target mode" the systems were connected via a parallel SCSI cable, what is used now, USB? Besides, I don't think High Sierra will "see" the new APfs container-based architecture. Recovery mode seems like a more realistic option.

But, I am at the beach this week so it will have to wait.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Re: “what is used now, USB?”

The Thunderbolt form of USB-C. Ordinary USB-C won’t do.

ETA:
“When it [Target Disk Mode] was first introduced, the Macs had to be connected using a FireWire cable, but since Apple stopped using FireWire on Macs, you can now use either USB or Thunderbolt cables. However, if one of the Macs you are connecting is running macOS 11 or later, you must use Thunderbolt.

You can connect either Apple silicon or Intel-based Macs or one of each. On Macs with Apple silicon, the feature is called Mac sharing mode. If you want to connect an Intel-based Mac to a Mac with Apple silicon, the latter has to be the target disk.“

https://macpaw.com/how-to/target-disk-mode-mac

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9467 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post