SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone go Spelunking?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone go Spelunking? Login/Join 
posted
Exploring caves. Did it many times when I was in my twenties.
Mostly in Kentucky. Saw a lot of neat stuff, huge rooms, underground lakes
with blind fish. Wore coveralls and would climb out covered in mud.
At my age now, I can't believe I did that.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Only in my nightmares.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to after visiting Mammoth cave at about age 12 but never got around to it.
Did not get to go down into Wind Cave in South Dakota three years back (elevator was broken and it was near closing time). but may have to try again sometime... above ground there is a hole about the size and shape of a Buffalo head that 'breaths' which is where according to the indigenous peoples they originated from.... pretty sacred place in my opinion.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When we moved to NC as a teen, i overhead a neighbor tell of a mica mine on his property. Me and my brother promptly found it and crawled right in…one main tunnel and one cross…probably 100 yards long. You could see where locals had scratched their names on the walls …far back into the 1800s.

When I was 18-19 I was stationed in Yankeetown Fla, at a search and rescue station. We used to go explore local caves…mostly near Gainesville. Looking back now I realize that I did a lot of stupid stuff.

We took the kid to a huge place called cathedral caverns in nort Alabama, and just this spring we went to Inner Space Caverns near Round Rock .

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Nope, nope, nope, and nope. I've done it twice. God willing, the next time I go underground I'll be ashes.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12931 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Try doing it underwater.
Cave diving is big here in Florida, I've done a few and realized it is not my thing. Specialized training ang gear did not help make me more comfortable.

Some of the guys couldn’t get enough of it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3903 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I think caves are fascinating and have enjoyed some that I've visited, but if it involves crawling on my belly with a mere inch of space to get in there where its impossible to turn around once you start, nope nope nope.

Cave diving, hell noes.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Only in my nightmares.

Yep. And if I really want to amp up the nightmare scenario, I’ll think about underwater cave exploring.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've done it a couple times back in college, but it was with more experienced folks who knew what they were doing, in caverns they were already familiar with.

It was worth trying, but I wouldn't do it again these days. Especially without an experienced guide.

(I'm talking "squeezing/slithering through on your belly with your back scratching the rock roof above you" kind of caving, not the "stroll down into a large well-traveled cavern to take a look around then stroll back out" kind.)

Posts: 33099 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Once. In college, we were all 18 and bulletproof. That night ended with me in the school infirmary, and stitches on the crown of my head. Never again.

Posts: 3648 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked underground in High School and College in many different mines. I loved working underground as I always felt comfortable. No way would I go spelunking. The twisting and turning and tight spots to get stuck in, no way.

Posts: 125 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In boy scouts we always had a caving camp out at moaning caverns in calaveras county. We also did some of the other cave tours in the area there. Always wear the rental coveralls and your oldes my pair of shoes that can be trashed. Even as a skinnier teen it seemed very tight. Couldn’t imagine it now. never had a claustrophobic freak out but could see it happening. Most of the tours were one way as in you absolutely could not turn around one you were in the cave and moving along.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Belly crawls and tight space type only once.
That was Marengo Cave.
Once was enough.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I used to as a teenager. Used to go in caves that required you to swim in underwater a bit. Sometimes spent more than 24 hours underground. Went the wrong way once and got stuck, head slightly downhill, one arm up, one down. Finally got myself out.

Never again. I actually have slight claustrophobia just thinking about it now.

A few years ago, a doctor IIRC, got stuck in a cave in Utah out in Tooele in a similar way. They worked for a week to get him out, but he died. His body is still stuck there. They just permanently closed the cave.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8276 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Did it frequently as a teenager in Iran exploring the qanats near our home. These are underground aqueducts that date to ancient times. Most are no longer in use, I used to, always with a buddy or two, explore these for miles as much to beat the heat of the very hot summers as for adventure. The qanats were always cool even when dried up. As a skinny little runt I was never overly concerned about getting stuck, but I also never told my mom what I'd been doing all day.

I've done some limited caving since then, I find it very interesting. Just remember, as a hillbilly guide once told me in a Missouri tourist cave back in 1970, "when you're confused about stalactites vs. stalagmites, just think of the little girl with ants in her pants...when the mites go up, the tights come down!"

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood or "Lost in the Woods" Missouri. We used to explore the local caves. Nice thing about it was it didn't matter if it was day or night, it was always the same in the cave.

Posts: 281 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
"when you're confused about stalactites vs. stalagmites, just think of the little girl with ants in her pants...when the mites go up, the tights come down!"

I was always taught in school to remember that "stalactite" has a C because they come down from the Ceiling, and "stalagmite" has a G because they come up from the Ground.

Posts: 33099 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me the Rolex Explorer 2 was designed as a caver’s watch back in the 70s. Not many made and sold so that’s why they command insane money now. So you could tell if it was AM or PM on the surface. Back when Rolex made tool watches, not really nice jewellery that have a side use as a tool watch

quote:
Originally posted by clang:
I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood or "Lost in the Woods" Missouri. We used to explore the local caves. Nice thing about it was it didn't matter if it was day or night, it was always the same in the cave.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Only amateurs call it “spelunking”. Wink

I love caving, but haven’t been in a while. If you want a good intro, try the Wild Cave Tour in KY at Mammoth Cave. I’ve done that one 3 or 4 times.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have done a few caves.....in northern NY, Quebec province, NH, and VT. We go as far as we dare then return..... The one in NY was 4 stories underground and had many passageways. We cut off from the group so we could do our own exploring. It's lots of fun!

Posts: 3406 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post