SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dissatisfied concert goers and the performers who schedule the concerts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dissatisfied concert goers and the performers who schedule the concerts Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
If everyone can afford to go to the concert whenever they want, nobody would want to go...and they certainly wouldn't pay thousands to do it.

Of course they would want to go. In my previous post, Prince had $25 tickets in an era of $200 ones and hundreds of thousands of people attended his shows in Los Angeles. Prince also did the same 21 show residency in London at the O2 Arena , and sold out all shows for a total of 350,000 tickets at a price of 38 dollars.

Back in the day when Led Zeppelin would play six nights at the same L.A Forum, a lot of kids in my high school would be talking about how great the concerts were because many attended (I didn't Frown ). That was because the kids had a decent chance at actually obtaining tickets, and the pricing was within reach of many kids.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
It is not Charmin's fault when the grocery store runs out of toilet paper because they sold it all to one crazy dude who is hoarding.

The online sale of tickets is what has screwed things up. Scalpers program bots to barrage the system and they buy as many tickets as they can get through to buy.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
It is not Charmin's fault when the grocery store runs out of toilet paper because they sold it all to one crazy dude who is hoarding.

The online sale of tickets is what has screwed things up.
Scalpers program bots to barrage the system and they buy as many tickets as they can get through to buy.

Nothing new - it used to be you had to stand in line to get your limit of tickets.
Scalpers hired people to wait in line.
Same deal only different methods.

Been discussed before how the business model has changed for the artists.
Used to be the income was both from LP or CD sales and from tours.
Now the income from digital and tours.
Don't know but I suspect the digital isn't as profitable.
However, when concert tickets are 5 to 10 times what it used to be - that sure is.

I rarely go and very discriminating when I do.
Just saw John Pertrucci and pleasantly surprised with a fantastic performance and spectacular sound.
Ironically, I bought decent seats for sixty-something but I could have spent a lot less and been satisfied - it was a new venue I had not been in.
Regardless - it was excellent.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The online sale of tickets is what has screwed things up. Scalpers program bots to barrage the system and they buy as many tickets as they can get through to buy.

And the market price for tickets ends up being multiple times what the artist set it at and the artist sees none of that. If I was an artist who charged $50 for tickets I'd be pissed for my fans if they had to fork over $500 to go to the show. It won't be long until concert tickets are not transferrable.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

It is not. CDs paid out far more than digital, the recording companies sold out cheap to the digital services in regards to artist's royalties to get a bigger piece of the equity. In other words, they screwed the artists again for the benefit of more money for the labels.

This is one of the big reasons why so many legacy recording artists (Dylan, Springsteen, The Beach Boys, Motley Crue, Paul Simon, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Barry Manilow, ZZ Top, Chrissie Hynde, Neil Diamond, Robbie Robertson, Sting, Justin Timberlake, etc) sold their song catalogs and more to different companies. Their touring days are numbered and they can't generate income revenue from almost non-existent CD sales and online streaming, which pays almost nothing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How many shows can they do a year? How many cities / venues do they need to cover WORLDWIDE (remember they don't only perform in the US.) How ragged to they want to run themselves? The big acts could probably do a show 365 nights a year, and not satisfy everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Sounds like a lot of avoidable excuses.

You either have the ability to provide a service . . .
Or .
You don't

According to more than a few big name performers.

There is close to no mont in c.d. or record sale
And
They make a lot more money on live performances.

So why !

Not make make an effort to stop pissing off the people who want to throw money at you.

" We don't have time"
We get too tired"
It's complicated"
" The sun's too bright"
" Wardrobe problems"

Blah de fucking blah

So do it right or quit doing it's

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course they would want to go. In my previous post, Prince had $25 tickets in an era of $200 ones and hundreds of thousands of people attended his shows in Los Angeles.

Apples and Oranges, doc.

Prince was a one-in-a-million musical talent that could play 20 some-odd instruments. He was an incredible singer/songwriter who wrote and produced his first two albums himself.

Bit of a gap there between somebody like Prince and whatever country-pop star is trying to manifest the image of value for garbage.

Posts: 10760 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great point oddball

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54697 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

The online sale of tickets is what has screwed things up.
Scalpers program bots to barrage the system and they buy as many tickets as they can get through to buy.

Nothing new - it used to be you had to stand in line to get your limit of tickets.
Scalpers hired people to wait in line.
Same deal only different methods.

Been discussed before how the business model has changed for the artists.
Used to be the income was both from LP or CD sales and from tours.
Now the income from digital and tours.
However, when concert tickets are 5 to 10 times what it used to be - that sure is.

I rarely go and very discriminating when I do.
Just saw John Pertrucci and pleasantly surprised with a fantastic performance and spectacular sound.
Ironically, I bought decent seats for sixty-something but I could have spent a lot less and been satisfied - it was a new venue I had not been in.
Regardless - it was excellent.

I tend to go see the same artists, or similar Genre , often, and have not seen prices increase that much,

Costello , is the odd ball, I have seen him many many times, and rarely pay over $50 a ticket, but he has played some venues within 3 hrs of me where the base ticket was over $100 in the past, (nope, not for me)

most shows now that I go to are $25 to $50 each, but I tend to small venues,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post