SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police Applications Plummet Nationwide
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Applications Plummet Nationwide Login/Join 
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I have been a LEO for 20 years and it has changed! My agency pays really well and it has been short on staffing for the past three years, more than I have ever seen. The only thing that has kept many from leaving/retiring early is the health insurance. Law suits and internal politics on top of the climate against law enforcement pushes me to to not recommend a law enforcement career to anyone. The benefits remind me of the airline pilots where the pay was luring as benefits got chipped away, through the years. I see nothing about law enforcement getting better in the future.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I can say this much, as someone who has been a cop for about 15 years (3 years as a uniformed local cop and almost 12 years as a fed). I completely understand what the old timers meant when I came on the job when they would say that the job had changed a bunch since they started. Even when I transitioned from uniform to fed, I wanted to be running and gunning, locking up as many bad guys as possible, happily arresting street level guys in the hopes of turning them into informants, and keeping prosecutors busy with a steady quantity of arrests. I wanted to be writing search warrants, kicking in doors, making buys, and took every opportunity that I could to be doing street level stuff with the locals. Those days are now happily behind me.

I still enjoy locking up the bad guys, but I now focus on the technical side of the case, and try to minimize my street level interactions. This is partly because I have really found my niche professionally, and frankly partly because I've tired of the shitty, defiant attitudes that people have for the police. In the newest position that I will be assuming I'm hoping that I may be all but completely moving away from being a case agent. I find that I can be more impactful in providing technical skills that assist others in succeeding in their cases and providing expert witness testimony which helps secure convictions than I would be in the shoveling sand in the desert that is street work. Sadly most of my frustrations aren't even from the dirtbags in the street but from the criminal justice system that also seems to place increasingly less value on that of law enforcement officers.

So yeah, it makes complete sense to me that agencies are having difficulty attracting applicants to be cops. The working conditions are decreasing rapidly and dramatically. The pay and benefits are declining, particularly with new recruits, and there's lots of other good alternative careers out there. The sad thing is that things will only get worse as more and more unqualified people get hired to join the LE ranks, further squeezing out the good guys and eroding the public confidence. I know I now do everything I can to dissuade anyone that I care about from even considering a career in law enforcement and I know I'm not alone.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
In the 1970s agencies recruited returning military vets into LE. They had command presence, discipline, firearms training, were in good physical shape. The majority of them made excellent LEO. Today I doubt many returning vets want to go into LE, maybe because of everything already said. They can make more money doing something less stressful.

During the Obama years aka 'The Great Recession', agencies couldn't hire recruits but retirements were still occurring, leaving less people to do more.

The agency I retired from is still one of the lowest paid in AZ. It's been that way since I started. In spite of more mandated responsibilities they lack funding. The really sad part is many recruits that do get hired are getting paid almost as much as veteran officers due to "topping out" and pay freezes.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
And yet when I got out of the army as a patrol supervisor in the military police 6 years ago you’d think that you would have to bribe somebody to get a job. And it’s not because of my polygraph or work history or anything. Kept passing all the tests, did well in all the review boards. Just got passed up too many times so I took my happy ass to welding where any asshole can get a job. Maybe it’s time for me to get back into shape and try again

As a 30+ years LEO, stick with welding. Law enforcement has changed for the worse and will continue to get worse. Departments will throw officers under the bus for any edited viral video clips. Soros sponsored elected persecutors will go after officers to appease the mob while not charging any crimes in the spirit of criminal justice reform:

1. Baltimore PA......check.
2. Chicago Cooke County PA.......check.
3. Several Florida PAs (remember where the Governor removed the PA from the cop killer case because she refused to seek the death penalty)........check.
4. Philadelphia PA......check.
5. St. Louis PA........check. It has got so bad that most serious cases, officers are taking to the US Attorney. Recently in Kansas City there was a meeting between Federal Prosecutors and Chiefs on taking cases to the FEDs if your local PA is progressive shithead.
6. St. Louis County PA recently elected......check. He is going to be tested right away on his stated refusal to seek the death penalty in any case with the Catholic Supply Store Killer (guy sexually assaulted three women in a Catholic Supply Store and executed one of the women when she refused his demands...then continued to sexually assault the other two. This scumbag needs to die). Local Law Enforcement Officers are bracing for what will come and finding ways to take cases to Feds like St. Louis City.
7. Newly elected Boston PA.......check. Really special kind of stupid here:
Newly Elected PA Won't Prosecute for Resisting Arrest and 15 Other Crimes
Just to highlight what she won't prosecute for (these are direct from her webpage, not making them up):
•Trespassing
•Shoplifting (including offenses that are essentially shoplifting but charged as larceny)
•Larceny under $250
•Disorderly conduct
•Disturbing the peace
•Receiving stolen property
•Minor driving offenses, including operating with a suspend or revoked license
•Breaking and entering — where it is into a vacant property or where it is for the purpose of sleeping or seeking refuge from the cold and there is no actual damage to property
•Wanton or malicious destruction of property
•Threats – excluding domestic violence
•Minor in possession of alcohol
•Drug possession
•Drug possession with intent to distribute
•A stand alone resisting arrest charge, i.e. cases where a person is charged with resisting arrest and that is the only charge
•A resisting arrest charge combined with only charges that all fall under the list of charges to decline to prosecute, e.g. resisting arrest charge combined only with a trespassing charge

Don't worry, the other progressives in my list above and other places will or have already jumped on this bandwagon had a same or similar list.

All the police can do now is take a report that just keeps score: Crooks: 1, 245, 658....Cops: 0

In light of the anti-police/anti-rule of law environment, why the hell would anyone want to be a police officer? To serve the community and tell victims over and over and over again that there is nothing they can do and nothing will be done and no one will be charged??????

Posts: 3937 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The law enforcement field has an image problem. Ongoing negative media attention means there isn’t a huge draw to become a police officer. Coupled with the economy being on the right track, people who once may have considered becoming a police officer are often choosing good-paying private sector jobs over lower-paying government ones. For the vast majority of police agencies, vacancies exceed the number of qualified applicants coming to the door. What can agencies do to change this and return to the good old days when there were 150 qualified applicants for two sworn positions? Today there seems to be 2 qualified applicants for 150 positions.

My law enforcement career spanned 4 decades. As I tell folks I came in with the start of crack cocaine and left with the start of black lives matter. Like several of you on this board, I saw a ton of changes over the years, some positive and many negative.

There is no way I would recommend anyone pursue a career in law enforcement today. While there have been some constants over the years regardless of the department (the old phrase of “the job sucks, the pay sucks, and the bosses suck” comes to mind), things seem much worse now. With lack of support at any level, little advancement in pay, rollbacks in benefits, and departments not doing what is within their control to make the job appealing, it's no surprise that it's difficult to find new officers to fill vacancies.

The cost of overtime to meet minimum staffing levels is killing agency budgets. This has a negative impact to all other areas of the department due to no money to fund equipment, training, and other budgeted items. While things are at a critical level now, they are bound to get worse in the not so distant future. Luckily there will always be a few who all they have wanted to do since they were 5 yrs old was to be a cop. However there aren't enough of those folks to fill all the vacancies.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
It goes with the cyclical sentiment toward LE. Think 1880's and 1890's, 20's and 30's, 60's and 70's, etc. This cycle is prolonged partially thanks to Resident Zero and his bullshit rhetoric. Historically, the pendulum swings back when violent crime grows to the point that the media has to give it some attention. Since the media is more out of control than ever, I don't see that happening soon.

I hope you are right, but my personal opinion is that this is going to be longer and worse than anything prior. Even though Zippy is out of office, his effect is still being propped up with monied protests, lawsuits, willful disrespect and no desire to comply with officers when contact is made.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TigerDore,

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The first I became aware of this mess was that retarded "Beer Summit" that BHO had during his first year in office.

I'm sure there were other signs that others saw before this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't meet the eyesight requirement for my state when I got out of college. Now I'm too old by the same standards. So, steel mill. Yay company town...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The really sad part is that I have two investigators in my office that have at least two years investigative experience, and prior to that one was a medic, and the other worked about 5 years or so doing crime scene investigations.

They have applied and applied and they cannot even get a call to take a test. One is Hispanic.

I have tried ever since I moved to NC to get back into LE, (which is about a year and 3 months now). I have had one phone call for an interview but that is it. I guess it is my age, (I turn 47 next week). One agency told me that I would probably only be good for about 10 years.

Really, that is the problem. Like others have said most trainees, recruits new officers etc.. leave within 2-5 years.

Oh well, I have given up and honestly have started looking at working private contractor overseas to pay our bills off.

I have wanted to work in LE since I was twelve years old, but looking back I would have never left Ohio, and never left the Trade Unions.

I was working for the Laborers Union making great money but I was in the process of switching to the Sprinkler Fitters Union when I got the call and relocated. Heck I could almost have 20 years in and retiring out of the Union.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
The really sad part is that I have two investigators in my office that have at least two years investigative experience, and prior to that one was a medic, and the other worked about 5 years or so doing crime scene investigations.

They have applied and applied and they cannot even get a call to take a test. One is Hispanic.

I have tried ever since I moved to NC to get back into LE, (which is about a year and 3 months now). I have had one phone call for an interview but that is it. I guess it is my age, (I turn 47 next week). One agency told me that I would probably only be good for about 10 years.

Really, that is the problem. Like others have said most trainees, recruits new officers etc.. leave within 2-5 years.

Oh well, I have given up and honestly have started looking at working private contractor overseas to pay our bills off.

I have wanted to work in LE since I was twelve years old, but looking back I would have never left Ohio, and never left the Trade Unions.

I was working for the Laborers Union making great money but I was in the process of switching to the Sprinkler Fitters Union when I got the call and relocated. Heck I could almost have 20 years in and retiring out of the Union.

It doesn't help that some of the most worthless officers--that can't handle the street--end up in places like recruiting.

Apply to CMPD. We've had plenty of people in their 40s make it through. No age limits in NC.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
If we could eliminate the current mainstream media many many issues in this country could be corrected. News reported with an agenda results in the destruction of all things good.
Add to that the local government beauracracies and things go to hell quickly.

Agree 100%. The media has pretty much been weaponized against American values. People, many of whom are very intelligent, believe what is reported as if it's gospel.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got no sympathy at all. The various LE Agencies (local/state/fed) have lowered standards and pushed "diversity" in place of merit. WHO wants to be a part of that?

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGSense:
Got no sympathy at all. The various LE Agencies (local/state/fed) have lowered standards and pushed "diversity" in place of merit. WHO wants to be a part of that?

Some agencies (mostly those in dimocratic progressive cities) have lowered standards but most have not. If the standards were lowered that much there would be more applicants.

Posts: 3937 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
.......I guess it is my age, (I turn 47 next week). One agency told me that I would probably only be good for about 10 years.

Wonder if that's even legal to make such statements . Likely some exemption from the law because it involves public safety, but still, how tacky.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I looked into those jobs as well.

Seems the higher paying gigs are for combat arms, deployments and if you have a security clearance. I think most were in the $500/day neighborhood.

Does that sound about right to you?

Posts: 13119 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Seems the higher paying gigs are for combat arms, deployments and if you have a security clearance. I think most were in the $500/day neighborhood.

I did a 5 month stint as a PSD team leader in Baghdad. Loved the experience and glimpse into that world...but decided I liked my family better. Offhand, I have a hard time thinking of a long-time PMC I knew who was still married.

The big $ when I was doing it was for engineer, IT types, us grunts got six figures but nothing like those trades.

All I wanted was Fed LE or local as a fallback when I got off active duty in '02. Now, I see it as a blessing that it didn't pan out. I wouldn't do it in this environment for any amount of $.

I think the crime has to get bad enough there is a mass outcry from the "silent majority" to roll back this PC criminal-coddling nonsense. It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
I loved the people, found them far from the worst.
Could not believe the corruption in my department and others I worked with, including the administration. Truly honest cops all too often do not last long.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25 years in LEO. Retired, still hold my commission, work several days a month in a Federal LEO gig.
Good times, great assignments, pay and benefits could have been better.
That being said, I am encouraging all my children to become a Doctor. Better pay, portable job, still respected.
Police work is a corrosive job that can embitter and destroy even the noblest person.

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Sounds about right. The money was great back in 02 to 13ish... It got a little less when (I believe) Triple Canopy justice kinda said "this is what we're paying now, you don't like it, here's your plane ticket back to the States!"

Ageis is still hiring. A good friend of mine, 28 years between active and reserve, with another 27 as a Chicago Cop got pissed off at some of the incompetence and retardation on the job just put his papers in and a big "AMF" as he walked out the door. He just got back from a few week training course in Ga. He's wheels up on 17 Dec for A-Stan. 3 month contracts. Not that bad...
Better than the 12 months ones. 3 on, 3 off ain't bad. 6 on, 3 off ain't bad either. Things get a little crazy on the Homefront after that.

Yeah, not a lot of those guys stay married. But that's the lifestyle, divorce often comes with it.

A few other friends have worked for MVM (NOT the ICE/Immigration contracts) They seemed to enjoy it, and the pay scale... But all of them were a little crazy.

If you can get in with Academi, it's not a bad place to work.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in my 24th year of this "Cops and Robbers" shit. And I've got to be honest. The first 15 to 18 years were a BLAST! I had more fun and good times than a 2 peckered Marine in a whorehouse with a pocket full of $50's! I couldn't believe that I got paid to do that stuff. Man, it was a fun time! I worked my ass off, and was more than rewarded for my efforts. Worked with some of the best cops that Law Enforcement put out on the streets in the worst areas of Chicago.

Then things changed.

Now, I can't, in good conscience, recommend this job to too many people. I took a slight break from the Cops and Robbers game back in '04-'05. Had I would have known then what I know now, I honestly wouldn't have come back.

We had a hiring test this past weekend. I can't wait to see how abysmal the number are. I took the test in '93... Over TWENTY THOUSAND took the test to get on Chicago Police. I'm betting less than 6000 this past weekend. In an upcoming era of policing that is going to require a smarter, mentally quicker and better educated officer.

Lowering the standard? Check!
Just to get more (diverse) people in the door.
Start looking at the long term: What bullshit will these recruits be getting into in 5, 7, 10 years from now? What corruption, theft, stupidity is coming down the road because of the ones that can't reach the bar? What decisions are these people going to be making down the road?

But hey, that's what people want now, right?
I want the most "diverse" person coming to save me! The lispy, no speakin-English, purple haired, big goofy earring wearin, neck tattooed trans-whatever'd is going to save the ever-lovin' shit out of all of us!

Not the BEST person. You know, the one that's the strongest, smartest, fastest, toughest...
But the most diverse-est fuckin' weirdo.
Not the one that never gives up, never quits...
But the one who has the most check marks in a minority box.

Technically, I can leave in 2 years. I've got something coming up that pushes it back to 4 years. I don't know if I'm going to make it that long.

One of the more valuable lessons I've learned in those long hikes in the Marines- Head down, one foot in front of the other... Suck it up, keep moving, keep your people happy and moving until you hit the finish line.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post