SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowblowers: Ariens vs Husqvarna - UPDATED with decision
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowblowers: Ariens vs Husqvarna - UPDATED with decision Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
Looking for some wisdom from the forum.

I’ve reached that stage in life where I need to make a change to my snow removal game. The docs have put a strict restriction on the amount of weight I am allowed to lift so I need to get a snowblower. I want something that will last and not need to be replaced in a few years.

I have the main part of the driveway plowed but still need to clear a decent amount of area in the area we parks the cars. I figure I can get away with a 24” clearing width. My main considerations are reliability, electric start and self propelling. Anything else I should be considering?

I have been looking at Ariens and Husqvarna but am open to other recommendations. Do folks have a preference of one over the other?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

UPDATE (11/22): made the decision to go with the Ariens Platinum 24. A big factor in choosing this over the Deluxe is that the chute control is a lever on the control panel vs a hand crank. I think it will be much easier for my 5’1 wife the handle if required. Another factor that led me to Ariens is that they seems to have outstanding build quality.

This probably means it won’t snow this winter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Green Highlander,

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2391 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have a Craftsman 24" 2 stage that is amazing.

Most snowblowers are made by the same company so the big differences are in the engine supplied (also made by someone else) and basic controls layout.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38019 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i would go Airens. My little single stage does well when I need it. Usually the Kubota is used though Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Cub Cadet 2x.

I have the 24" Model.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a mid sized JohnDeere from 1996 or so, still working well, 8 hp. Here in SE WI snow isn’t as big a deal as many portray. That’s compared to Hancock, MI type snow events.

I also have a friend who often plows as he drives by, so my blowing gets limited. I treat it nice then store it properly for the off season.

Airens is a good brand. I have corded electric start with mine but just about always use the pull rope.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Ariens for me. Find the width you want then find the biggest motor available.

I have an older ST824. All thick steel with an 8hp Tecumseh. Never bogged down enough to stop it. Only issue is sometimes it can ride up over deep snow if you go too fast and are not able to keep enough downward pressure on the front.

It is a heavy machine though. It takes some effort to use but nothing like shoveling.

Posts: 17905 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I bought a Husqvarna ST 224 two years ago. One of the key decision points is the fact that there is a Husky dealer within 5 miles that can provide parts and service.

In the 25 years that I have lived in Pittsburgh we had one major snowfall (30"), maybe 6 or so between 12 and 24 inches so I don't need a monster snowblower, the ST 224 is probably slightly oversize but very manageable.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Had a Honda dual stage 8 hp, electric start that I bought in 97 and sold in 2020. Never missed a beat. Replaced the tires and sliders once, changed the oil. Always started. No regrets what so ever with it

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I bought a Husky ST324 four years ago. It replaced the John Deere that I had for 20 years. It's seen quite a bit of use since, but I don't think we've had a snow over 2 feet since I got it. And I'm OK with that.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
This may help you in your decision. Lots of interesting info here.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...900016364#1900016364

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have an older Honda with tracks like a Soviet tank and the thing is a beast. I know they’re more than the two brands you listed but Honda makes some amazing stuff.

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have an older (10y) Ariens that is like a tank. Has the "plug in" electric start that my wife loves, but will still start reliably on the second pull (if not the first).

I got it from My father who upgraded to the newer feul-injected model smoother running (the vibrations can tire your arms out on the longer driveways)

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3357 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Admittedly we have no use for these contraptions, thank god, however have you thought about an electric snow blower.

The EGO units are being snapped up quickly, they have two models, self propelled and auger propelled and seem to have the qualifications for the job. Online reviews have been good on the EGO board.

https://egopowerplus.com/power-snow-blowers/

Would add another helpful tool without the need to keep fuel, maintain fluids, easy start, etc

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ariens was the quality machine years ago and probably is now though I suspect a lot of other brands have gotten better in quality. Whatever you buy get a two stage, 8 or more horsepower, electric start and a dealer near you in case you need service on it. Do not use ethanol fuel in it and stabilize the pure gas you use. I have an older Ariens and two older John Deere's which were made by Ariens back then. I am assuming, based on your location, that you might get some heavy snows.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No experience with Husqvarna, but have not heard bad things about them.

Ariens are very good. Ive had 2 over the last 25 years, first one (St624 techcumseh)died because i was stupid. Checked oil and did not tighten plug. 30 minutes later complete sieze due to oil spilling out of now missing plug hole.

2nd one (st24e subaru) eats thru EOD snow no problem. Outside of standard maintenance, i have only changed scrapper bar and skid shoes.

Still starts first pull aftet 15 years.

Be aware, you are not lifting snow but you are pushing a 150-200 pound machine around. It will give your legs arms and back a workout.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be aware, you are not lifting snow but you are pushing a 150-200 pound machine around. It will give your legs arms and back a workout.

why I suggested EGO, its only 60 pounds and with his restrictions, that would be a plus meaning easier to maneuver, easier on the body.

Posts: 23609 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ariens here.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My ariens was a beast...until the chute control failed. A design that they only used for 2 years on 1 model...and I never could get a retrofit kit. I finally gave up and sold it. The engine and everything else, was phenomenal. It could chew through snow well above the opening. In the end, I decided that I really want a tracked model for my next one. They just seem to handle stuff better.

Currently, I plow from a heated cab, what's left is a quick shovel job by the 10 year old. When he moves on...I'll likely get another snow blower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in MN where we get serious snow and plow rows from the street. I have had several Ariens over the years that have been very reliable.
I bought a new one before I retired about 5 years ago.
It is lighter and easy to maneuver than the older heavy ones and if I don't pay attention will put the snow in the neighbors driveways.(50 ft)
They are made in Wisconsin out of "Global parts"
Has electric start, but usually starts easily on first or second pull.
Many of the other brands are made by MTD now.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 325 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ariens 24” Deluxe last year and was happy with its ability to hurl slush off of the driveway (because unfortunately that was our primary precipitation last winter).

I really wanted the 24” SHO model just because, but supply chain issues made it uncertain if that model would actually be delivered before the end of winter.

Two nice features of the Ariens are (in addition to electric start) -

- direction of the chute and the discharge angle are easily adjustable from the operator’s position

- not sure what they call it, but you can very easily ‘turn on a dime’ 180 degrees without having to let go of the drive lever. The inner wheel automatically disengages and the outer wheel drives/powers the turn. Quick learning curve on that.

Usually e-z 1st pull starts if you have done everything correctly prior to the pull (key in, ignition on, choke on, gas on, full throttle, prime 3x and pull).

I have only used TruFuel to run it thus far.

Good luck with your decision!

Rob

Posts: 3498 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post