SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Original Streamlight Jr upgrade to LED?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Original Streamlight Jr upgrade to LED? Login/Join 
posted
Hi, I’ve been searching the internet without any luck on this one. I have an original Streamlight JR from Norristown PA that I would like to upgrade to LED if possible. I see kits for Mini Maglites but not the Streamlight Jr. Does anyone have a recommendation to acquire one?

Thanks

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried an upgrade bulb for a streamlight probably 15 years ago and it didn’t last too long. Dropped it once and it was broke.

Posts: 5422 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks gpbst3,
I can't even find the cheap knock off LED bulbs. It looks like this old flashlight might be headed to permanent retirement.

posted Hide Post
Are you trying to upgrade to LED or just want a better bulb? LED's do not have bulbs that can break

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've tried an LED upgrade replacement but it doesn't make your older light anything close to a more modern LED designed light.
The design of the housing seems to limit the options for these retrofits and the light was a disappointment for me. I liked the older look and keep it in my car for basic lighting needs but my phones light does it just as well too.
Yes, the brightness and battery life is better than before but not like it would be in an all new design.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Are you trying to upgrade to LED or just want a better bulb? LED's do not have bulbs that can break

The “bulb” may not break but it’s all the other electrical doodads. My old retro fit had two little metal prongs which plugged into the head. After I dropped it there was only one prong

Posts: 5422 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No specific info for you but if you haven't already try candlepowerforums.com

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, incandescent lights are a thing of the past. And there are groups of people that collect them. People that appreciate the warm glow of a filament glowing and the terrible battery life. Razz

If the light is no longer useful for you, I suggest selling it to someone that would like to have it in their collection.

My bedside light is STILL a Surefire Aviator A2 four flats thats about 25 years old. Still works like new. I appreciate it for what it is. Plus it doesn't burn your retinas out of your head if you need to use it.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Don't know about that model but I upgaded a couple Polystingers that were great.
Also upgraded some Maglites early on that were a bit anemic.
I used TerraLux for the Streamlight, and can't remember who for the Maglite.
The Maglites were done a long time ago so probably improvements can be made.
Just search for your model.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
My bedside light is STILL a Surefire Aviator A2 four flats thats about 25 years old. Still works like new. I appreciate it for what it is. Plus it doesn't burn your retinas out of your head if you need to use it.

That is so cool. I loved the Aviators and had a few at one point. I had a wicked cool black HA one that was a fairly limited run.

I sold off all my Incan stuff however.

I do still actively use first and second Gen Surefire L1’s as well as an old Innova single CR123 T1.

Honestly while I want a light to put out decent output I also prize the ability, probably more so, to have a low low mode as I frequently use them to not wake up the wife if I am going to bed or waking up at night or to check on the kid etc. with dark adapted eyes it’s amazing how far a very little light will go.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

I'm trying to upgrade to LED. I did a Mini Maglite some years ago with a Nite Ize LED conversion kit. It made the Mini Maglite a littlle bit brighter, but the big plus is battery life is much longer. I was hoping to find a kit to so something similar on my old Streamlight JR.

FYI - The Streamlight JR is about the same size as a Mini Magliite.

I will check out the candle power forum too.

posted Hide Post
For a LED upgrade I would look at Cree and see if they can help. They are probably the best source for LED upgrades.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Maybe something like this? Some quick google searching says the old mini mag lights used the same or similar bi pin bulb.

https://www.amazon.com/LITT-Ma...-1252383201571&psc=1

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, but Cree has nothing for the Streamlight JR and the Mini Maglight version uses a couple of pins or leads while the Streamlight Jr does not. I might be able to adapt the pin version with a good amount of modification and a new base, but it would probably be cheaper to just go buy a new flashlight.

I was hoping to save this old made in USA flashlight by updating it, but it looks like it just isn't worth while.