SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need new shocks for my truck. Any suggestions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new shocks for my truck. Any suggestions? Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Bilstein shocks are warranted for life for the original purchaser.

Why don’t you just have them replaced?

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en...d-services/warranty/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6321 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Because they are worn out and not defective. Yes, Bilsteins like all shock do wear out over time and use.

quote:
Most of the BILSTEIN products available in the North American aftermarket are backed by our LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Key word there is LIMITED.
Been there, tried that, they’ll say no with 100k miles on them.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Because they are worn out and not defective. Yes, Bilsteins like all shock do wear out over time and use.

quote:
Most of the BILSTEIN products available in the North American aftermarket are backed by our LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Key word there is LIMITED.
Been there, tried that, they’ll say no with 100k miles on them.

My experience has been different than yours. Mine were exchanged over the counter with just the original sales receipt and had a bunch of miles on them (I don’t remember the exact amount but it was several years worth).

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6321 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Finally, I'd like to keep the cost of the replacements to around $50 (or less) each.

bigdeal, I know you like that truck. I've seen the pics of the paint... very nice!
If you still like it, use it, and if you've been happy with the Bilstein shocks (which have given you 100K good service)...
Why not spend a couple of bucks more, if you're doing the labor anyway... and buy another set of Bilstein shocks? Wouldn't you hate to take all the time to change them out and then second guess yourself, thinking that for 20-30 more, you would have had what you know you like?

I'm looking at Bilstein 5100’s on the rear of the 4Runner based on recommendations here. They are about $80/each.
You make some good points, but here is my thinking for not buying Bilstein again. I used to use the truck as a truck when I first got it and for many years thereafter. It towed a number of different trailers including my 22' ski boat every summer for 8 years, and hauled tons of building materials and yard supplies. At this point in its life (and mine) it primarily carries me and the dog from place to place, and given he's 13, I'd imagine I'll be on my own in the not too distant future. As such, I thought it might be nicer to have something that rode a bit softer than the Bilstein's did when they were new. The Bilstein's I have on the truck now and would be replacing are the 4600 series, and a set for my truck runs ~$350-$400. Other options run between $130 for an OEM replacement, to $180 for a gas upgrade on OEM like KYB. Just seems like it would make sense to go with a bit softer and less expensive shock than going Bilstein again.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post