SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    News Flash: Diets suck!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News Flash: Diets suck! Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My heaviest weight was 280lb back in 2003. I did weight watchers and in 8 months I was down to 210lb.
I am 6 foot 4 inches and maintain that for several years. Over time my weight bounced around a little.
Fast foward to October 2017 we had gotten of a seven day cruise and were heading into the holidays by January 4th 2018 I was 253lb.
It was time to lose weight. I started weight wachers again. As of last Thursday I am down 25lb.
I am working on trying to get down to 200lb even his time. My wife says that's to much to lose but I am determined to not ever get to heavy again.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2578 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
At my heaviest I weighed 217 and my doctor suggested cutting back on carbs. Low carb is all the meat, cheese and eggs you can eat! Not a bad diet. I am now down to 200. The only hard part was staying away from sweets, ice cream etc. Being a beer lover, I compare everything to a Miller Lite.
Do I want that piece of bread (13 carbs) or 4 Miller Lites (3.2 carbs ea)?

I do the same thing with my miller lite. Would I rather have the bun or another 2 beers etc.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Every year for Lent (please, not Lent haters), I have given up more and more.

This year, I gave up soda, fast food, candy and alcohol. because lent is not just about giving up and something, but also allowing someone else to benefit. The money I would spend on these items is placed in an envelope and then given to a charity.

I am 6' 1" and on February 14 (Ash Wednesday), I weighed in at 240. I have been as high as 243 in past years. This morning, I weighed in at 225, down 15. My goal is to get to 220 by Good Friday.

It is really not that hard, but does require some effort. On Sundays, I hard boil eggs, wash carrots and celery that I will snack on throughout the week.

Typically, I would have 2 Diet Cokes before lunch ( I don't drink coffee).

I eat oatmeal with honey for breakfast and have some diet cranberry juice. for a morning snack, I have some dry roasted, unsalted almonds, and a halo or two,

For lunch, I have a salad with a piece of cut up chicken.

For an afternoon snack I will eat 8-10 cut carrots and the equivalent of 2 stalks of celery.

Throughout the day, I drink 2 liters of water, yes, plain old, unflavored water.

For dinner, chicken, fish or pork with couscous, rice, masked potatoes and water with a couple tbsp. of lemon juice.

If I snack after dinner, it is a piece of fruit.

Yes it takes some effort, from a guy who would eat 2-3 snickers every day. Every time I go to the grocery store or gas station, I never leave without a candy bar.

For me, cutting out some (not all) processed foods, breads, sugars and alcohol has made a HUGE difference.

I hope I have the will power to continue this change in eating habits after Easter.

That said, that first ice cold beer after Lent taste so damn good!!!!

My doc would really like to see me closer to 200 lbs.

Anyway, that is my story, YMMV.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Keto (low carb healthy natural fats) is not a diet- it's a lifestyle. I'm following it for the 2nd half of my life. The anti-inflammatory effects lets my inhaler collect dust. Down to 2 meals a day without feeling hungry or cravings. Insulin resistance is the real killer and not the cholesterol B.S. we've been force Fed.

I agree with this^^^. Started on Jan 10 this year, in exactly 8 weeks lost 18 lbs. without ever being hungry, since then have lost 2 more. More importantly I am no longer taking allergy medicine and my acid reflux has cleared up after 40 years.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
At my heaviest I weighed 217 and my doctor suggested cutting back on carbs. Low carb is all the meat, cheese and eggs you can eat! Not a bad diet. I am now down to 200. The only hard part was staying away from sweets, ice cream etc. Being a beer lover, I compare everything to a Miller Lite.
Do I want that piece of bread (13 carbs) or 4 Miller Lites (3.2 carbs ea)?

IMO any "lite" beer should NOT be considered a Beer, it's just bitter water comparable to Horse Pee.

For me real beer starts with a full bodied beer like Killians Red and move up from there to the Belgian Doubles and Triples. While frequently not available a real favorite of mine is Devil's Backbone Dark Abby. It is well worth the 600 mile drive to visit my sister.

As for weight control back in 2015 I weighed in at 203 lbs. Mid May 2015 I had my backside parked on the couch flipping channels looking for something worthwhile to watch. While doing this I came to the conclusion that if I kept parking my butt on the couch at every opportunity I would not live to see 70.

So I got up and took the dog for a measly 1 mile walk. That was a real revelation, as in I was so out of shape I could barely walk 1 mile without stopping to rest. Decided that I needed to start exercising daily and stop "grazing" between meals. That first summer I was up to 6 miles each day after work and losing an average of 0.8 lbs. per week. Since then I've joined a gym and presently do about 90-110 minutes of exercising per day, most of which is in the Aerobic heart rate zone. This mornings weight was 155.8 lbs and I can now do 2 miles in a bit more than 22 minutes which is not bad for a 63 year old with a past 37 year habit of smoking 1.5 packs a day.

Point is that IMO Diets aren't the Answer to a weight problem, they are simply one component of the complete answer. The key to better health is moderate exercise daily with some days going into Higher Intensity exercise in combination with a diet that features a reduction in Carbs and higher in the "good" foods. BTW, I don't suggest a Carb Free diet, simply reducing the intake of foods which are basically Junk. Such as Potato Chips, Cookies or Cake, anything sweetened with Corn Syrup, and too much bread or Pasta. If you want to eat something sweet then eat an apple, it's a lot better for you than some candy bar or a donut.

I'll also note that if you just must indulge in that donut then simply work it off with a long walk. BTW, average calories per mile for a fairly fit adult male is about 90 calories per mile. So if you really have to have that 350 calorie donut the just make up for it by going for a 4 mile walk.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post