SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend a good audiobook on Civil War or Revolution?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a good audiobook on Civil War or Revolution? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I'm heading out on a flight to Commiefornia in the morning. I realized I will be flying a while and need some entertainment.

I've also realized I don't have that much knowledge on the Civil War or Revolution except what I've learned in school or documentaries.

I'm hoping to find an audiobook on Apple Books that I can purchase. Something written as a story rather than a text book would be best. I've grown more interested in these subjects recently. I don't have Audibles account. I do have the Boston Public Library and Libby so I may find something that way also.

Thanks for any tips. If I don't find anything I'll just be listening to metal for 6 hours. Not a bad alternative choice.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is a great book that fits your bill regarding the battle of Gettysburg and the turning point of the war.

Posts: 2964 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is a great book that fits your bill regarding the battle of Gettysburg and the turning point of the war.

Second this one, excellent book. Over the years I've had to buy about ten copies of this because no one ever wants to return it. Another Civil War era book is Landscape Turned Red by Stephen Sears. This one is about the battle of Antietem.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I will add that to my list. But I think I need something that starts a bit earlier in the history. I'm interested in the issues leading up to it.

You know, as a northerner I only have the history that it's the Southerners fault and it was only about slavery. I know there is a lot I haven't learned.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The great courses have a dozen series on the birth of America. It might be where you ought to start as much of the groundwork for the civil war was laid then.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
This was very entertaining and informative. It weaves historical facts into a storyline which is very interesting and emotional at times.

https://www.amazon.com/Try-Men...erican/dp/B004X8W6T8

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
This was very entertaining and informative. It weaves historical facts into a storyline which is very interesting and emotional at times.

https://www.amazon.com/Try-Men...erican/dp/B004X8W6T8

Thanks. I'll check it out. Audibles is confusing as hell. Used to be only subscription. Now they have the subscription button and "Buy with 1 click". But I'm not certain I'm buying one book or also subscribing. They didn't have the option to buy individual books before.

These go to eleven.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
If you want to start with much of the groundwork on the civil war, start at President Thomas Jefferson and the Lewis and Clark expedition. The book you should read is “Undaunted Courage”.

Jefferson knew that as populations increased over the four passes into the Ohio River Valley he had to come up with a way to bring states into the union as equals. Goods from the area were floated down the Mississippi River through NOLA and transported by ship to the states. Jefferson arranged for the LA purchase knowing Napoleon had no means to defend the territory as he was knee deep in his conquest in Europe. Jefferson then arranged for the L&C expedition to try and force westward expansion beyond the Ohio river valley. The roots to secession start with the fear the Ohio river Valley territory would secede from the United States. It’s also an awesome book.

Posts: 2964 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Lots of Civil War ideas above.

RE: Revolutionary War, here's one to consider. Rick Atkinson's "The British Are Coming"

It's a great book, very approachable and not a text - it should be fine as an audio book.

It's the first of his planned Revolutionary War trilogy and it covers the background before the war right up through Washington's crossing the Delaware.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I just posted in the Lair about "Founding Brothers" by Joseph Ellis, outstanding read about the making of the United States. Another by the same author is 'The Quartet" about the actual forming of United States with the Constitution.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Awesome choices. I just signed up for an Audible free trial for 3 months. I'll be able to cancel if I don't use it enough. I have a few to start with now. Thanks.

These go to eleven.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I just signed up for an Audible free trial for 3 months. I'll be able to cancel if I don't use it enough.

I listen to a decent number of audiobooks through Audible, but they tend to be long ones (30-50+ hour history tomes, and the like). As a result, I don't usually use a credit every month.

However, there's an unadvertised "Silver Plan" that Audible offers, which is half the price for 1 credit every other month. You have to contact Customer Service to get it.

If you don't use Audible enough to justify 1 credit per month, or just listen to really long books like me, that could be a happy medium.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I just signed up for an Audible free trial for 3 months. I'll be able to cancel if I don't use it enough.

I listen to a decent number of audiobooks through Audible, but they tend to be long ones (30-50+ hour history tomes, and the like). As a result, I don't usually use a credit every month.

However, there's an unadvertised "Silver Plan" that Audible offers, which is half the price for 1 credit every other month. You have to contact Customer Service to get it.

If you don't use Audible enough to justify 1 credit per month, or just listen to really long books like me, that could be a happy medium.

Good to know. I did see a "plus" plan that was cheaper. It was hard to find actually. Long books are what kept me from using Libby. Only 2 weeks to borrow a book and I just didn't get through them before the book was returned.

These go to eleven.