SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacuum-mount hobby vices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum-mount hobby vices? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’ve often needed one of the neat vacuum-mount hobby vices for a multitude of tasks. I’d be mounting it on a granite counter. There are several offered on Amazon. I’d like to know which of them has the best jaws – precision alignment with parallel jaw faces. And has smooth operation.

The PanaVise seems to be the original that others have copied (and is the most expensive at $52).

www.amazon.com/dp/B000B63276/r..._api_i_GBKaEbAD8Y0X9

Bessey BVVB $32.99.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0057PUR88/r..._api_i_L5KaEbNH6WXJA

Yost V-275 $27.80.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00MX140FU/r..._api_i_v8KaEb0TRA19X

POWERTEC 71016 $20.62.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIZUSJ2/r..._api_i_E-KaEb267RANH

Does anyone have experience with these, or others?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8985 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Only the PanaVise, but I’ve had it for decades and after getting it wished I had discovered it years earlier. Of course, I have no idea what current production specimens are like, but am completely happy with mine. I also recommend the different jaws, at least metal and plastic/nylon/PTFE.

It appears that the others have rubber covers for the jaws and therefore don’t require switching the jaws entirely for different purposes. Doing that with the PanaVise is a little less fast and easy, but I believe it’s still preferable for some jobs.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
May I ask what you plan to do with it?

Even under ideal mounting conditions, there's a limit to the amount of torque a vacuum mount can withstand.

In any event, it's hard to go wrong with a Panavise in my experience.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Only the PanaVise, but I’ve had it for decades and after getting it wished I had discovered it years earlier. Of course, I have no idea what current production specimens are like, but am completely happy with mine. I also recommend the different jaws, at least metal and plastic/nylon/PTFE.

It appears that the others have rubber covers for the jaws and therefore don’t require switching the jaws entirely for different purposes. Doing that with the PanaVise is a little less fast and easy, but I believe it’s still preferable for some jobs.
PanaVise Corporate History Current ownership seems dedicated to continued manufacturing in Reno, Nevada. No idea what the source of their content is but they seem dedicated to the USA.

Posts: 565 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Just as we need different guns for different purposes, it's good to have different vises for different purposes. I use my PanaVise countless more times than the large one I have.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I don't have a vacuum mount, but another vote for PanaVise. They have a wide variety of options and accessories.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Bought one @ Lowes -- works great secured to the top of my toolbox. Had it awhile so can't remember how much I paid -- sorrty.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Panavise is excellent but I use a small one with a clamp that tightens to the table where I work on projects. I dont worry about vacuum failure. Mine is made by Irwin and Lowes sells them,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just bought the vacuum base PanaVise 381. I should’ve bought it when I started this thread: $52 on Amazon then, now $67.49.

I’ll mount it on my granite counter as a “third hand” tool that can be easily put away when I don’t need it. I won’t ask it to hold heavy objects. It appears to be US made - at least the company is headquartered in Reno, Nevada.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8985 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I lusted for a Panavise when I was younger, but bought a similar Craftsman model instead. I wish I'd held out for a Panavise.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post