SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You Made $700 From an Online Side Hustle. Now the IRS Will Know. A new tax law means online platforms will have to file a 1099-K for people earning mo
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Made $700 From an Online Side Hustle. Now the IRS Will Know. A new tax law means online platforms will have to file a 1099-K for people earning mo Login/Join 
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
“It has nothing to do with governmental overreach and everything to do with the amount of people who were cheating on their taxes increasing rapidly.”

Sorry but that is a load of horse shit. If i buy something for $1000 and paid taxes on it at the time of purchase, then turn around and sell it for a loss at $700, the government has no right to tax the “income” when there is a proven loss. Yes people cheat on paying taxes but you’re paining with an overly broad brush.

Agree. And there is more horse shit than that. It's almost everywhere. Bernie Sanders has whipped up a bill to tax 'windfall profits' on corporations. Sweet right? What leftie wouldn't use their food stamps to buy ol' Berns for that one.
So the windfall is based on the profits of the last two years (in the latest form I read) which depending on your business, read 'big oil' as an example, was in the crapper for the last two years. Supply chain was a fiasco, nobody was commuting, nobody was taking the dream tour to New York or any other big shitty, they stayed locked down.
Now big oil is getting a rebound, UNFAIR they shriek. It was fair to watch business fold up their tent and fade away, but now if they make more than you do it's UNFAIER.

It is my patriotic duty to bitch about taxes, so I do. It is my right as a citizen to pay as little as I can under the law so I do. But the way the taxes are thrown into the mix without thought of consequence, the fact that most folks can't now do their own 1040 without help makes me shriek along with the libs.

My gripe, to be clearer, is not that I want to keep cheating, I don't, I resent being lied to about the reasons for the tax, the expected outcomes from the tax and the consequences of the tax.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
So, an individual who occasionally sells used personal property and doesn't claim the proceeds as income is a tax cheat? Legions of Americans use various on-line auction sites to occasionally sell used and/or unwanted personal items - almost always at a loss. In this economy, it wouldn't take too long to reach $600 in sales. Before you explain Capitol Loss, may I suggest that retaining original sales receipts for inexpensive items one may elect to sell far in the future is most unrealistic. Further, Americans who are not engaged in a bonafide business for profit should be free to dispose of their personal property without burdensome regulation or taxation.

^^^This Right Here...Dammit!

How the hell is this taxable 'Income', especially considering that Income Tax was paid upfront for the funds used for the original purchase!

This ranks right up there with 'Unrealized Gains'... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking tea party time. We are being taxed to death in every way the fuckers can come up with. Makes me sick.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
It is my patriotic duty to bitch about taxes, so I do. It is my right as a citizen to pay as little as I can under the law so I do. But the way the taxes are thrown into the mix without thought of consequence, the fact that most folks can't now do their own 1040 without help makes me shriek along with the libs.

My gripe, to be clearer, is not that I want to keep cheating, I don't, I resent being lied to about the reasons for the tax, the expected outcomes from the tax and the consequences of the tax.

I'm 100% with you.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
“It has nothing to do with governmental overreach and everything to do with the amount of people who were cheating on their taxes increasing rapidly.”

Sorry but that is a load of horse shit. If i buy something for $1000 and paid taxes on it at the time of purchase, then turn around and sell it for a loss at $700, the government has no right to tax the “income” when there is a proven loss. Yes people cheat on paying taxes but you’re paining with an overly broad brush.

You misunderstand how the Capital Gains tax works. If you buy something for $1,000 and sell it for $700, you have a loss, not a gain and it's not taxable, you just have to be able to prove what your basis was with a receipt of some kind. A pain in the ass, but worth it to avoid the tax.

quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:

Agree. And there is more horse shit than that. It's almost everywhere. Bernie Sanders has whipped up a bill to tax 'windfall profits' on corporations. Sweet right? What leftie wouldn't use their food stamps to buy ol' Berns for that one.
So the windfall is based on the profits of the last two years (in the latest form I read) which depending on your business, read 'big oil' as an example, was in the crapper for the last two years.

And guess what? If they actually pass this new tax, the corporations will raise prices and thus pass the tax onto consumers rather than have to absorb it themselves.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You misunderstand how the Capital Gains tax works. If you buy something for $1,000 and sell it for $700, you have a loss, not a gain and it's not taxable, you just have to be able to prove what your basis was with a receipt of some kind. A pain in the ass, but worth it to avoid the tax.

Do you have receipts for everything you've ever bought? I don't.
The receipt has usually gone in the trash.
Some things are purchased second hand, without receipts to begin with.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Wait, so it doesn't matter if it's a 'hobby business' or not? If you have a receipt proving your original cost for something, you just add the 1099-K info and then add more forms to make it balance out so you're only paying taxes on your profit?

If that's the case, most of the articles about this are BS then. That would be good in this case.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

Wait, so it doesn't matter if it's a 'hobby business' or not? If you have a receipt proving your original cost for something, you just add the 1099-K info and then add more forms to make it balance out so you're only paying taxes on your profit?

If that's the case, most of the articles about this are BS then. That would be good in this case.

Oh for fuck's sake! NOBODY retains receipts for every item they own - especially shit they purchased years earlier. I'm certain this thread wasn't intended as a remedial lesson in capital gains/losses. The point of this thread was to illustrate the $600 exemption for selling personal items on-line is absurd. The goons at .gov may as well have set the limit at $6. No free American should be expected to indefinitely retain every purchase receipt in the event they may later decide to participate in what amounts to a virtual neighborhood garage sale. On a forum where the Second Amendment is regarded as sacrosanct and most posts espouse individual liberty, I'm somewhat surprised to discover there are members who would suggest we collectively bend over and become submissive "bottoms" for the IRS.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Nope, but I do have access to PDF summaries of my CC charges each month going back years, something Chase provides for free, and that's sufficient evidence.

And you don't submit receipts when you file, you only have to prove your basis if and when you're audited. If you're talking smaller amounts, that means you'll never be audited as it'll cost them more to audit you than they can get from you in taxes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This isn't about getting more tax revenue. Whatever extra taxes they generate from this won't offset a damn thing with the out of control spending. This is nothing more than another control mechanism and a way to further weaponize the IRS so if there's someone who is a threat to those in power they can use this as leverage to find out about something that person did that wasn't 100% by the book so they can nail them for tax evasion, perjury, etc.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is going to have big time effects on things like Facebook Marketplace and even Craigslist in addition to eBay and Etsy and all the rest.

And as usual there will be an opposite reaction to this crap with people either quitting, going cash only or going digital like bitcoin.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you don't submit receipts when you file, you only have to prove your basis if and when you're audited. If you're talking smaller amounts, that means you'll never be audited as it'll cost them more to audit you than they can get from you in taxes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Generally true unless you get a Taxpayer Compliance Audit. The IRS does not always use the money factor. I had a two day audit of my one person retirement plan. They flew an IRS agent from Saint Louis to exam the records. Nothing was amiss. She said it was part of a demonstration project.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
She said it was part of a demonstration project.

Oh, Jewish folk called that a "pogrom" back in the old country.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
It sure felt like it.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post