SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Residential wood window weatherstripping question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Residential wood window weatherstripping question Login/Join 
Picture of Seotaji
posted
I have old wood windows from the 80-90's and the weatherstripping where it meets the sash is worn out.

I've removed one and it appears to fit in a channel and pressed in (by hand), but I am unable to find an exact replacement.

I would appreciate some suggestions on what keywords to search for online.

These are cheap windows and I have used peel and stick foam weatherstripping, but I'd like to repaint the bottom of the window and replace the weatherstripping, so it's done right.

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Window kerf weatherstrip" and/or "compression bulb weatherstrip" should get you there.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can go to www.strybuc.com , they are a supply house for all kinds of window and door replacement parts. Not sure if they sell to consumers or if you'd have to set up an account with them. You will be able to identify the component you are looking for so you can possibly then find it on amazon. Lowe's, Home depot, Menards etc. all carry some small quantities of various replacement material but they generally don't have much of a selection.

Fair warning, there are a lot of different kerf mounted weatherstrips. You didn't indicate if yours was, pile, bulb, foam filled buld or rigid fin. Amesbury, Schlegel (owned by Amesbury ) and Ultrafab are the big 3 when it comes to weatherstrip, but there are other small players.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Windows from the 80's-90's aren't "old" yet, and if you look at the edges of the sashes or in the corners of the glass, you may find manufacturer info. Especially if the sashes tilt. It's a possibility, and then you can typically get free replacement weatherstripping.

If not, the previous responses sum it up.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post