SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeless to be bussed out of Super Bowl “secured perimeter”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeless to be bussed out of Super Bowl “secured perimeter” Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I guess this probably has to happen, but it just seems so surreal to see it in print.

Dozens of people who use a homeless shelter near U.S. Bank Stadium will be moved to a new, temporary facility during Super Bowl week because of security concerns.

In a deal struck with churches and social service agencies, up to 60 people who normally would spend the night at First Covenant Church in downtown Minneapolis will be relocated six blocks away to a makeshift shelter at St. Olaf Catholic Church. The transition will occur the Thursday before the 2018 game and last through Super Bowl Sunday.

A spokeswoman for the Super Bowl Host Committee said the relocation is necessary because the current shelter at First Covenant, at 810 S. 7th St., is inside the “secure perimeter,” an area surrounding U.S. Bank Stadium where people will be subject to airport-style security and intense surveillance.

http://www.startribune.com/spo...rbowl/457749363.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I would not want to be homeless in Minneapolis. Sounds cold.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
A spokeswoman for the Super Bowl Host Committee said the relocation is necessary because the current shelter at First Covenant, at 810 S. 7th St., is inside the “secure perimeter,” an area surrounding U.S. Bank Stadium where people will be subject to airport-style security and intense surveillance.

So what? These assholes can't stand the sight of the downtrodden, so they bus them out of the area? The NFL is so full of shit, it can't help but fall out every time one of their representatives opens their mouths. Seems to me, they are trying to hide a problem instead of actually doing something to help those 60 people find way out of homelessness (although, I feel that many of those that are homeless actually like the lifestyle). Can't have some scruffy looking folks milling about inside of the "secure perimeter"! What a fucking joke the NFL has become.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
This...I thought the same thing: out-of-sight, out-of-mind. They could've just borrowed a TV & let the homies watch Super Bowl with a catered meal.

quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

So what? These assholes can't stand the sight of the downtrodden, so they bus them out of the area? The NFL is so full of shit, it can't help but fall out every time one of their representatives opens their mouths. Seems to me, they are trying to hide a problem instead of actually doing something to help those 60 people find way out of homelessness (although, I feel that many of those that are homeless actually like the lifestyle). Can't have some scruffy looking folks milling about inside of the "secure perimeter"! What a fucking joke the NFL has become.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well, mkay, but who's driving the buses?

Vote: Unionized Metro Transit workers authorize strike during Super Bowl

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of some South America crap hole, that was going to host a United Nations summit (I read about this over a decade ago). They sent death squads out the week before the dignitaries arrived, and killed all the homeless children they could find. They did this to 'beautify' the place before the world media got there.

This apparently happened as late as last year during Rio's Olympics:

https://www.telesurtv.net/engl...s-20151013-0044.html

Site won't let me copy/paste. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Without knowing specifically, it's probably a great place to be homeless because they likely have services out the wazzoo. I doubt the homeless are spending too much time on the street in subzero weather (unless they've lost enough of their marbles to want to.)

quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I would not want to be homeless in Minneapolis. Sounds cold.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
They should let them have the empty seats and $50 towards concessions. That's the humane thing and Minneapolis is a virtue signaling humane place. They love Somalis, even the stabbers, and occasional ISIS Jihadi.

Why are they so cruel to people down on their luck? That's not very Progressive.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
They should let them have the empty seats and $50 towards concessions. That's the humane thing and Minneapolis is a virtue signaling humane place. They love Somalis, even the stabbers, and occasional ISIS Jihadi.

Why are they so cruel to people down on their luck? That's not very Progressive.

Beat me to it!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Put them in the locker rooms & press box...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
George Orwell was an optimist.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I guess being homeless is a "security threat" to the NFL MFL.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Do they have some Brazilian consultants helping them plan this thing?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is a " Super Bowl Host Committee"? Is that another way of saying more tax payer funds are being used in order for the millionaire cry-babies to play a stupid game? I so tired of "board" members using public funds for a private game!

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
What is a " Super Bowl Host Committee"? Is that another way of saying more tax payer funds are being used in order for the millionaire cry-babies to play a stupid game? I so tired of "board" members using public funds for a private game!

For Super Bowl 50, there was a huge amount of federal, state and local resources utilized for the secure zone. There were several command stations around the city, and all of the alphabet agencies were present.

The military presence was eye opening as well. They weren't messing around, the setup and preparedness of the snipers was pretty damned cool. Some of the hardware was kick ass, and the live fire exercises at the stadium was impressive, I saw some video footage from my friend that partook.

So yeah, a lot of tax payer money is spent on this over-hyped game.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Potemkin Village!

Leftists are known for this.

Nothing to see here citizen, move along.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
So wait a minute, isn't the NFL supposed to be addressing social issues? How's displacing the homeless addressing the issue? Where's Craponhisdick to help his fellow oppressed, down on their luck, struggling victims of white privilege?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
So yeah, a lot of tax payer money is spent on this over-hyped game.

Same for all the pro sports. HUNDREDS of millions spent on security for a World Series and Super Bowls.

Don't ever believe the crap fed to us here in the Phx area that "It brought XX millions into the valley".
Sure it did...but it wasn't even a wash for all the agencies and the OT.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
In today's world, ANY large sports event must have correspondingly large civil/military security presence. To just hire a bunch of 'rent-a-cops' would be foolish in the extreme. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Yup. San Francisco moved the homeless out of the areas where the Super Bowl events were taking place. Wouldn't want the tourists to see what a real shithole the city really is.

Over 250M dollars a year goes to the SF homeless industry.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post