SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I love living in a small town
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love living in a small town Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I drive through Ainsworth every year on my pheasant hunting trip to SD.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
Nothing says small town America like 8 man football Smile

Silent

Carter Nelson is playing 8-man football for Ainsworth, a ranching community at the north end of the Sandhills in Nebraska. He is considered the #2 tight end in the country and he decided to stay home and play for Nebraska.

Here are the programs that wanted him.

pretty crazy for a guy who is playing 8-man football.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I maintain a membership in the Skeet Club in my small hometown (about 4500), and this past Saturday night was the annual Conservation Banquet, which is a fundraiser for the state Wildlife and Fisheries, and honors one agent each year.

Starts with the Pledge of Allegiance, then the Star Spangled Banner, then a few local politicians and/or candidates are recognized. Then filet, and boy those men know how to cook beef tenderloins. It's an hour drive for me each way, but the wife and I and friends go every year. Definitely feels like America.

I am also of the opinion that stopping by a Tractor Supply feels like America too.

Posts: 3439 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That is serious nice, love it. That is the BEST of America right there. That's the ideal way I'd like to live. My city is somewhat like that depending on the location, but what you got right there is a beautiful sight to behold, the best of the best.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in a first ring suburb of Buffalo NY, but once married moved to the outskirts of a small farming community called springville. Great little town. They used to have a drive your farm tractor to school day !

I now live in what we refer to as the “quad cities” Dewey, Prescott, Prescott Valley ,Chino Valley AZ. It is trying to serve two masters- trying to hold on to the small town vibe, and the home of America’s oldest rodeo,but also allowing a lot of big neighborhood development at break neck speed. It can’t do both, and I believe the area will lose its small town character before long.

Posts: 3297 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I maintain a membership in the Skeet Club in my small hometown (about 4500), and this past Saturday night was the annual Conservation Banquet, which is a fundraiser for the state Wildlife and Fisheries, and honors one agent each year.

Starts with the Pledge of Allegiance, then the Star Spangled Banner, then a few local politicians and/or candidates are recognized. Then filet, and boy those men know how to cook beef tenderloins. It's an hour drive for me each way, but the wife and I and friends go every year. Definitely feels like America.

I am also of the opinion that stopping by a Tractor Supply feels like America too.

Was it in Morgan City? Good food that way.

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
During my school time in the 60"s schools closed for the entire week for the parish/county(for you yankees) Fair... Now they might get 1 day of no classes (school closed)........drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:

Was it in Morgan City? Good food that way.

I was born in Morgan City, but moved to Amite after 6th grade. Amite feels more like home, but I claim both. The skeet club is in Amite.

Posts: 3439 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I now live in what we refer to as the “quad cities” Dewey, Prescott, Prescott Valley ,Chino Valley AZ.

Not that many years ago, driving from Wickenburg to Don William's Action Works in Chino Valley was a nice drive in the country.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
I now live in what we refer to as the “quad cities” Dewey, Prescott, Prescott Valley ,Chino Valley AZ. It is trying to serve two masters- trying to hold on to the small town vibe, and the home of America’s oldest rodeo,but also allowing a lot of big neighborhood development at break neck speed. It can’t do both, and I believe the area will lose its small town character before long.

Prescott was once one of my favorite towns in the West. I distinctly remember its first drive-by shooting. I’m happy that some still feel “small town character,” it’s been absent for me for roughly 30 years. May I suggest learning a bit about Gail Gardner and Buckey O’Neill? You’ll be miles ahead of most fellow residents.

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went back to my hometown for a 50th HS reunion. A FANTASTIC dose of normal. People driving around with shotguns and rifles in the racks in their pickup's back windows. (From my 100,000' view it seemed like smash and grab shoplifting spree would not end well) Homecoming parade seemed like the entire town took a break from harvest and came out to watch. A lot of people saying hello first. Most allowing whoever to go before them in line. Laborers and farmers just getting along and joking with each other over a beer in the park. Ton's of American Flags flying. Just a really nice time. Oh, at the reunion dinner I was the only one not wearing a FJB tee shirt. I caught a pretty hard time for that. I'm pretty sure Trump has SE Idaho locked up. He won't need to spend much time there Big Grin.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread..Grew up on-a farm in a small Kansas community. I am blessed. Thing I don’t understand is folks moving to rural areas and trying to make them like where they left. Leave your failed policies where you moved from, or just go back. No reason to eff up the locals world..Adapt or leave..

Posts: 384 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post