SIGforum
Specialty Tools

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7600027584

October 10, 2021, 07:07 PM
powermad
Specialty Tools
I use test lights all the time and have more than a few.
I lost a cool mini Snap-On test light.
About 3 years later I opened the fuse panel on a truck to check them and found it laying on top of the fuses. Now I have one at home..

The LED one that I got off of the Mac truck has a probe with different screw on attachments for test leads and such, I use that one the most now.
October 10, 2021, 07:13 PM
Oz_Shadow
A Lisle hand impact driver. Good cheap US made tool. You may need better bits.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-2...id=1633911145&sr=8-6
October 10, 2021, 08:29 PM
OKCGene
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:
The test lamp has a sharp metal point that is able to pierce wiring for testing, or maybe wiggle into a connector without struggling to disconnect everything.

Ugh.. Pokey Mctestlight has caused me more grief than I care to think about.
Breaking the insulation is a great spot to start growing a green patch and breaking the circuit later on.
Or spreading the sockets in a plug and wrecking it.

I have back probes and sets of different pin and socket test leads.
Lets you check pin tension as well to see if someone has jammed a test light in it.

I finally upgraded my old Fluke meter for a nifty Snap-On one, I have it synced to my phone so I can move to different areas and see what's going on without dragging 10' of test leads around.
Pretty handy for shaking down a harness looking for an intermittent short.

I do have quite a few Blue Moon tools.
I think I spent $80 on a set of hose clamp pliers that I only needed once.
Lots of stuff like that and that's just home tools.

Ah Ha!!!! You're one of those professional guys! Just remember, you make money off us amateurs, lol.

Thanks for chiming in, you brought very valid and very important things.
October 11, 2021, 07:23 PM
egregore
This is my favorite tool. I found it at a flea market for $40 and have had it at least 25 years. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

It is made to adjust automotive carburetors and also came with the little funky-shaped sockets that carb mixture screws have. Since the last carbureted auto engine was made c. 1991, I don't use it for carbs much, but it is a godsend for removing (once broken loose) or starting small bolts and screws in tight spaces, especially in conjunction with magnetized sockets. NO ONE is ever allowed to borrow it, because I'm afraid they will try to break loose or tighten a screw and strip the gears or otherwise damage it. (The picture is blurry, but it says right on it, "LIGHT DUTY - FOR LOOSE SCREWS ONLY.")
October 11, 2021, 07:36 PM
.38supersig
I use a 1/2" double jointed wheel alignment ratchet for just about everything.

October 13, 2021, 08:49 AM
Patrick-SP2022
If anyone is interested in a box leveling gauge, Lee Valley has a set of 2 gauges for sale on their site for $30.
The set includes a height gauge and box leveling gauge.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-u...-gauges?item=99W6306

I have bought lots of stuff from Lee Valley in the past and have gotten good service out of their products.

October 13, 2021, 09:43 AM
sigcrazy7
I don't know if it qualifies as specialized anymore, but a laser level on a tripod are awesome. I've installed kitchen cabinets using standard levels, and then my brother brought down his laser level. Wow! It made the job super fast and accurate. I bought my own later that day.

Might as well add a laser measure to the list as well. No more trying to span a distance with a measuring tape, only to have it fold before you can read it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
October 13, 2021, 10:29 AM
Captain Morgan
I have an adjustable wrench, actually 3, made by Hand Tool Rescue. They are turn of the century adjustable wrenches and are being remade by this company.

They hold on to a nut or bolt better than any new adjustable wrench I have ever used.

Hand tool rescue

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin
October 13, 2021, 01:30 PM
cyanide357
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
This is my favorite tool. I found it at a flea market for $40 and have had it at least 25 years. I've never seen anything like it before or since.

It is made to adjust automotive carburetors and also came with the little funky-shaped sockets that carb mixture screws have. Since the last carbureted auto engine was made c. 1991, I don't use it for carbs much, but it is a godsend for removing (once broken loose) or starting small bolts and screws in tight spaces, especially in conjunction with magnetized sockets. NO ONE is ever allowed to borrow it, because I'm afraid they will try to break loose or tighten a screw and strip the gears or otherwise damage it. (The picture is blurry, but it says right on it, "LIGHT DUTY - FOR LOOSE SCREWS ONLY.")

Looks like a similar tool is made by Motion Pro (tools for motorcycles): Carb Tool 90 Degree w/Bits
October 13, 2021, 06:30 PM
egregore
Snap-on Tech-Angle torque wrenches, for torque-to-yield bolts that are tightened to an angle specification. In automotive applications, almost every cylinder head bolt on engines made in the last ~25 years is a TTY. In confined spaces such as a V8 engine with the rearmost cylinders under the windshield cowl, it is difficult to read a torque angle gauge, let alone makeshift methods like match-marking the bolt head.

(stock photo)
October 22, 2021, 11:00 PM
Aeteocles
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I bought a Chapman Mfg screwdriver kit due to a post on this forum.

https://chapmanmfg.com/

I saw this and was intrigued. Upon further investigation, I noticed a similar product from Klein that I picked up from Home Depot.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-T...id=1634960233&sr=8-2

It's made in Taiwan rather than the US, but its still quite nice. It's got a 5 degree swing arc, built in 5/16 in. nut driver on the reverse side, a thumb wheel to start screws quickly, and the finger ring on the end to keep you from dropping it.

I really like it.