SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Israeli Patriot missile downs Syrian jet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Israeli Patriot missile downs Syrian jet Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I don’t recall hearing of a Patriot shooting down an aircraft before. Makes sense though – a jet fighter, at high altitude, would be an easier target than a hyper velocity missile.

“The Israeli military says it has shot down a Syrian fighter jet that entered its airspace.

The military says it monitored the advance of the Syrian Sukhoi fighter jet Tuesday and shot it down with a pair of Patriot missiles after it entered Israeli airspace by about two kilometers…”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/a...4f61b6b4dc3c587e3bb8

Edit: I’m surprised that they fired two Patriot missiles. They’re expensive, and I’d think one would do the job.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Israel has used the PATRIOT system to shoot down two unmanned vehicles previously, and one SU-24 in 2014.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Patriot was originally designed to shoot down aircraft, NOT ballistic missiles. The Army tried to modify it to do so, with, at best, limited success. The latest version, the PAC 3 uses a missile specifically designed to shoot down ballistic missiles. I don't know if that has ever been used in combat.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Good shooting, Tex!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the Israelis "upgraded" the Patriots for dual-purpose, would make sense...if you have a pretty significant investment in anti-missile batteries, why not also use it as anti-aircraft.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4364 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m surprised that they fired two Patriot missiles. They’re expensive, and I’d think one would do the job.

Two is one and one is none.......

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10378 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Patriot is a SAM, intended from the very beginning to use against aircraft. It replaced the Hawk missile system in this role.

Most people know of them from the first Gulf War when we tried to shoot down Scud missiles with them.

So, in this case, the missile did what it was always designed to do.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21928 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Good shooting, Tex Moishe ![/QUOTE

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
it entered Israeli airspace by about two kilometers…

Well that's reasonable.

Posts: 10046 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:

Well that's reasonable.

There's also a demilitarization zone along the border. So, the plane was already violating treaty by being in the demilitarization zone, and then became an agressor by crossing over to Israeli airspace.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well that's reasonable.

That's what happens when you're reading Goat Hustler instead of monitoring the plane's GPS, Mohammed. "I never thought it would happen to me...."

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
If I’m not mistaken, the standard practice with the Patriot system is to fire two missiles per target. This is because, by the time the first missile has reached the target, it may be too late for a second to be fired and still get to the target if the first one fails. So, they fire two and self destruct the second if the first one hits. At least, that is the process for shooting down other missiles. It may not be necessary with something slower like a plane. My source here is a PAC3 promotional video, so take that into account.

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'm more surprised that Syria still has warplanes.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

They have one less now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34421 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t recall hearing of a Patriot shooting down an aircraft before.

Blue On Blue How Did An Army Patriot Missile Battery Shoot Down A Navy F-18?

British: Two Killed as U.S. Patriot Shot Down Fighter Jet

Eventually the F-16s got pissed and "HARM'ed" the offending Patriot Radar.

That Time an Air Force F-16 and an Army Missile Battery Fought Each Other - US Fighter pilots feared flawed air-defense system

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

The Russians do.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's OK. The Israelis aren't Turks.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
quote:
quote:

Well that's reasonable.

That's what happens when you're reading Goat Hustler instead of monitoring the plane's GPS, Mohammed. "I never thought it would happen to me...."

Lol Big Grin

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Edit: I’m surprised that they fired two Patriot missiles. They’re expensive, and I’d think one would do the job.

If one is good, two is better. Wink

That maxim holds true for many things.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If one is good, two is better. Wink

That maxim holds true for many things.
I knew these twin sisters . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post