SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No really , please be careful with fire, I mean it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No really , please be careful with fire, I mean it. Login/Join 
posted
One fella I know decided to add Accelerant
to a giant pile of leaves, as he had done 40 times before.

This time the whole deal went side ways, He wound up rolling across the yard to put himself out.

Wife drove him to the e.r. ,2nd degree burns up to one elbow . three days of treatment and he'll be fine.

story number two :
four high school girls wanted a fire out on the farm , the parents ok'ed it.

same deal , threw gas on it , and all four are still in the hospital 2 weeks later.

another fella :
burning limbs, branch's , leaves used paint thinner to get more flame's , two days in the hospital and released,

2nd degree burns all over the place.

I don't know how to do it the right way , or how it's supposed to be done, but please be careful

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54723 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
With gasoline, particularly in hot weather, there is no "right way". The vapor goes everywhere, and when you light it, the vapor burns too. It's kind of fun from a distance, but not so cool if you're close.

Better accelerants are diesel, kerosene, or that charcoal starter shit. And any of those can ruin your day if you throw them on an existing fire. Some asshole gave me a haircut, shave, and eyebrow removal on the right side by squirting that Gulf Charcoal Starter shit into a clam bake I was running. Flared off just fine!

If you have to use gas, put a modest amount on the pile of wood (very modest), and then lead a trail of gas across the ground, maybe 5 feet or more. Put gas can 30+ feet away, and drop match on trail. You'll know when it lights from the WHOOOMMMPP! you hear and the flaming debris raining down around you.

Good luck. The resulting mummy costume will be killer for Halloween.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12801 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16123 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
With gasoline, particularly in hot weather, there is no "right way". The vapor goes everywhere, and when you light it, the vapor burns too. It's kind of fun from a distance, but not so cool if you're close.

Better accelerants are diesel, kerosene, or that charcoal starter shit. And any of those can ruin your day if you throw them on an existing fire. Some asshole gave me a haircut, shave, and eyebrow removal on the right side by squirting that Gulf Charcoal Starter shit into a clam bake I was running. Flared off just fine!

If you have to use gas, put a modest amount on the pile of wood (very modest), and then lead a trail of gas across the ground, maybe 5 feet or more. Put gas can 30+ feet away, and drop match on trail. You'll know when it lights from the WHOOOMMMPP! you hear and the flaming debris raining down around you.

Good luck. The resulting mummy costume will be killer for Halloween.

You're supposed to take turns with the Orion from across the yard.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17010 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve found the best and safest way is to use a small propane canister with a bernzomatic torch and a pile of dry sticks to get started. I start the wood stove the same way every year.

No accelerants, no messy 2nd or 3rd degree burns, just a couple of extra minutes to get a roaring fire going. Using explosive flammables are an unnecessary, potentially dangerous mistake.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15638 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
My neighbor gave me a Bernzomatic fire starter like gearhounds, to use when we used to go camping with the scouts. It uses a small propane tank and it works like a jet engine. You can even get wet leaves to burn.

Good times... Big Grin

Posts: 1443 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Try blue darting around a camp fire 10 miles into the Sierra Madres with a bunch of other scouts encouraging the scatacephally. LOL.

I can only imagine how hard it was for him to finish the 50 miler with a singed bumhole......Big Grin

I'm confident he never tried that again.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29736 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
we pour a little kerosene or diesel into a empty soup can and then burn that and stack the wood over it...

never use gasoline or paint thinner or stuff like that...kerosene and diesel dont vapor off at regular temps and the vapor is what burns

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just because you do something stupid and get away with it many times doesn't mean you'll escape the uncaring law of averages....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My nephew, now 24, found a gas can while playing with friends age 12 or so, I still don't know the whole story because he won't talk about it much but he managed to set himself on fire from the waist down and the only way he survived was a cop DRIVING DOWN HIS STREET saw this kid ON FIRE run out in front of him. Eek

He spent weeks in Children's Hospital in Philly with second and third degree burns on his legs which are still horrifically scarred up and will be for the rest of his life. Frown

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a Motor Pool Sergeant welding a jeep gas tank at Camp Coiner, Seoul, in 1959.

He apparently didn't rinse out the tank enough.

Like I said....there WAS a Motor Pool Sergeant.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We used to throw old spray cans in the fire and watch them blow up as kids (12-13yo or so). The marble would start ticking before they blew so you had a little idea when they'd go off.

One day, this kid threw one that bounced out a little bit. After a while he decided to pick it up and toss it back in, and as he picked it up it started pinging... then blew up in his hand. He didn't lose the hand, but had severe burns all the way up to his bicep and the side of his face as well.

That was the last time I ever even though of tossing anything into a fire.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3357 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
was hoping that someone in a fire dept . would educate us a bit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54723 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
been around a lot of fire in my day. Primarily use it as a tool for clearing and burning slash. Fire is a great tool for doing that. I have burned piles larger than big houses. I respect it, do not fear it. I have used it as a great and valuable resource. I really like fire.
It is like anything else. It can hurt you and destroy things. There is a time and a place. It is not to be taken lightly. And many people lack skill, knowledge and common sense to use it or be around it to any degree.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
When I was maybe ten, a friend and I poured about half a Ball jar of gas down the hole at the edge of a solid man hole cover, followed by a lit match. I'll guess the man hole cover blew three or four feet in the air. The rush of air preceding the flames had already knocked us back, out of fire danger.

I doubt there are fire safety courses telling people not to do this, some things you go ahead and learn on your own.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8370 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When I was a sophomore in high school, we had an annual celebration for homecoming. This involved a LOT of burnable stuff collected from all over town, piled up for burning. Big deal.

Part of this was to prevent the kids from Clarkston (WA) from coming over and setting fire to our pile. We, of course, tried to set theirs off as well.

The night we were scheduled to start our fire, one of the kids in our class decided to help it get started. By dumping gasoline from a 55 gallon barrel on the fie. Only had a gallon or so in the barrel. Plenty go make a really loud boom and spray the kid with burning gasoline.

He spent some time in the hospital, but was not all that seriously injured. Thank God!

I sometimes use gasoline to take out ground dwelling hornets/wasps. Pour some down the hole, run a trail of gasoline back at least 10 feet. Use that trail as "wick" to set off the nest. Very careful not to use too much gasoline, and to make sure I have plenty of space.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put gas can 30+ feet away,

Around 12 yrs old, my friend and I raked my lawn and he put a thin stream of gasoline across the leaves. When he was done and standing off to the side, I lit a match and dropped it onto the pile. Once the flames reached the end, they continued on through the air about 10' right to the gas can nozzle my friend was holding.

He dropped the can and luckily it landed upright. The can was almost full and the nozzle burned for a minute before going out.
Lesson learned.

Posts: 7387 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
After getting one of these to light my wood-burning smoker, I've used it a couple times to start brush piles.

It's pretty awesome. Have to not just let anybody run it....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12458 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
^^^I love mine!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I know a teen girl who was burned across her face when someone decided it was a good idea to throw a cup of gasoline onto a bonfire.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post