SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insane overreach: EU proposes mandatory USB-C charging for small electronics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insane overreach: EU proposes mandatory USB-C charging for small electronics Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted
While it would be great if Apple finally gave up their asinine fixation on the Lightning port (ESPECIALLY now that the iPad Pro uses a USB-C port), and it's stupid at this point for anything new to be made with USB mini or micro, having it mandated by the government is crazy.

Essentially, the new proposal is that if it is a small personal electronics device that charges with a cord (phone, tablet, handheld game console, headphones, portable speaker, or digital camera) it will be illegal to sell it in the EU if it can't charge through a USB-C port.

Wireless charging only devices, like the often-rumored portless iPhone, would not have to add a USB-C port.

It also appears that the proposal would require that products be available without an included charger (but does not prohibit there ALSO being an option WITH an included charger).

https://ec.europa.eu/commissio...detail/en/ip_21_4613

quote:
Today, the Commission takes an important step against e-waste and consumer inconvenience, caused by the prevalence of different, incompatible chargers for electronic devices. Years of working with industry on a voluntary approach already brought down the number of mobile phone chargers from 30 to 3 within the last decade, but could not deliver a complete solution. The Commission is now putting forward legislation to establish a common charging solution for all relevant devices.

With today's proposal for a revised Radio Equipment Directive, the charging port and fast charging technology will be harmonised: USB-C will become the standard port for all smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogame consoles. In addition, the Commission proposes to unbundle the sale of chargers from the sale of electronic devices. This will improve consumers' convenience and reduce the environmental footprint associated with the production and disposal of chargers, thereby supporting the green and digital transitions.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I would welcome uniformity in all the cords I use for phone, camera, led lights. I can quickly recall I have 5 different type cords to run, charge, patch to PC.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I would welcome uniformity in all the cords I use for phone, camera, led lights. I can quickly recall I have 5 different type cords to run, charge, patch to PC.

I think you may be kind of missing the point Razz

Also, brings this to mind:

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Many of the idiots in America would welcome government overreach like this: "I think there should be a law..."

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

Sounds great, until something new, and better comes along, and it's not implemented because some know nothing know it all Karens in the EU wont allow it. It'll be 2086, and they'll still be requiring USB-C.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
They (manufacturers, Apple especially) did it to themselves.

Zero sympathy for those plug-removing assholes who call selfish choices progress, like we're stupid.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^How do you figure? Apple has had two ports since 2008. The 30 pin dock port and the lightning connector. The rest has had dozens of connectors, from proprietary to every version of usb. Perhaps you are referring to Apple’s early support of USB-C, or perhaps Apple’s saving USB altogether when they pushed it on the original iMac?

Imagine if this stupid law were in effect for computers. We’d still have Din-9, 25, and parallel ports on our laptops. What happens when a technology comes out that is superior to USB-C?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I agree with your viewpoint sigcrazy. But my guess is that USB-C is the end of the line for wired charging and connectivity. And that would be the case even without the EU mandate.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could do something with power tool batteries while they’re at it.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I guess I do not understand why the government would care? WTH, this is why the world will burn down.

I really feel I am starting to understand the whole, "let them eat cake" disconnect between the Lords of Law to the true needs of the people.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
While we’re at it we need to have a single smart hub system. No more worrying about which voice assistant you’re talking to, just yell for HAL. Make a single operating system for all devices.
One weights and measures system. As mentioned already, there’s too many battery formats for cordless tools. Can’t have that. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
I agree with your viewpoint sigcrazy. But my guess is that USB-C is the end of the line for wired charging and connectivity. And that would be the case even without the EU mandate.

It's the end of the line the same way needing more than a few megabytes of storage was the end of the line 25 years ago. Technology is moving so fast I can't imagine a scenario where there wouldn't be room (and need) for improvement in a few years.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
In a few more years, it'll all be wireless, and no more USB of any kind.

I migrated to wireless charging for our iPhones a couple of years ago. There's no way I'd go back.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Wireless charging and data transfer is certainly getting more prevalent but I suspect it will be a long time before cords go away completely.

Speaking generally, wired connections will always have at least some advantage over wireless ones in terms of power transfer, data transmission rate, energy efficiency, and reliability.

Maybe eventually we will reach the point it doesn't matter anymore for almost any daily use devices, but I suspect that's still a ways off.

That doesn't mean there won't be any wireless-only devices in the near future, just that on performance or convenience oriented devices, wired options will be around for a long time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a wireless-only iPhone in the near future. It would make complete sense with Apple's obsession with style and presenting themselves as technologically progressive - witness the 2015 (!) 12" MacBook that only had a single USB-C port and a headphone jack.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wireless charging currently doesn't hold a candle to wired fast charging.

And wired charging will never completely go away, and thank God for that.

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Speaking generally, wired connections will always have at least some advantage over wireless ones in terms of power transfer, data transmission rate, energy efficiency, and reliability.

And don't forget straight up practicality. I integrated usb connections in my backpack for travel with a portable power bank for quick and convenient charging when I need it on the go. Wireless only phones would make traveling and charging impractical.

I took advantage of the water bladder compartment and channels for my power bank and cables.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
In a few more years, it'll all be wireless, and no more USB of any kind.
<snip>

Exactly my point in my post a few above. Member Perception missed it.

To clarify, there might be a Thunderbolt-class upgrade to USB-C, but the physical jack and plug will be unchanged. And any such upgrade would be backwards compatible.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Dunno about the EU, but in the USA when laws like this are proposed, the big tech companies are right there lobbying for what THEY want and directing things as such.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the lightning is also more watertight than usb-C

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
My understanding is that the lightning is also more watertight than usb-C

Evidently the management at Apple agrees with you.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021...-lightning-no-usb-c/

We believe that USB-C is detrimental to the MFi business's profitability, and its waterproof specification is lower than Lightning and MagSafe.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
We believe that USB-C is detrimental to the MFi business's profitability...

Yeah, no shit.

MFi is "Made For iPhone," the licensing system Apple makes manufacturers pay in order to make iPhone accessories.

Literally what he is saying here is "if we have to give up our proprietary standard, we won't be able to make everyone else pay licensing fees to use our proprietary standard anymore."

That's almost the exact refrain we've heard from Apple on allowing third-party payment systems on iOS. "It will hurt our profits because we won't be able to take our 30% cut on every transaction anymore."

Really! Apple takes THIRTY PERCENT of every dollar that goes through the App Store.

The waterproof specification thing is a smokescreen. Lots of Android phones with USB-C connectors have the exact same overall device waterproofness ratings of IP67 or IP68 that iPhones have.

When Lightning first came out, it had some advantages over the existing common connectors.

Today, the ONLY reasons Apple still uses Lightning are because Lightning is exclusive to Apple and Apple loves exclusivity and because Apple gets a cut of every Lightning cable sold anywhere on Earth.

That still doesn't mean the government should mandate USB-C.