SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEO's: Help me write a letter of appreciation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEO's: Help me write a letter of appreciation. Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I'd ( and some family and friends) like to tell our local officers how much we appreciate their hard work and dedication, especially in today's world, but I want to word it well.

In every profession, there are some things that the men and women would like to hear from their public/clientele/constituents, but that might not be apparent to the writers.

Should the envelope be addressed to the Sheriff/Police chief, to be passed along to the officers or someone else in the organization?

I am researching the websites of our local law enforcement agencies for proper contact information.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
It was my experience while on the Wichita Police Dept. that the best letters were written from the heart. Any words of support will be most appreciated. And I'd sent a copy to the Chief of Police, Sheriff, etc. and maybe an additional copy to the particular Officer or Deputy if there is one. Ideally it will filter down from the top and end up in the personnel file.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Agreed...make it from the heart.

Don't think they don't appreciate and treasure those letters either. I have some I got over the years, that I have saved, they meant that much to me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the above.

It makes all the difference when it comes to being honest and heart felt.

(Oh, and beer. Send beer. Cops LOVE beer! NOTHING says "thanks guys" like a few cases of beer! Wink )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Over the years, I'd see letters of appreciation written by citizens, children and other agencies displayed at our HQ and sometimes at our individual stations. We appreciated them, and I'm sure agencies still do, especially with all of the negative news.

I was talking to two Bexar County(San Antonio, TX) deputies today at a restaurant, and I told them that the "hands up, don't shoot" dark period was a factor for me to retire and that it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. They both agreed, and that the mood they are seeing in their agency and other local agencies is very dark.

Positive letters written to the chief, sheriff, constable, marshal, director, etc are always welcomed, especially now.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm retired law enforcement. Nothing makes an officers day more than to receive a heart felt appreciation letter from someone the officer interacted with, especially these days.

Send a copy of your letter c/o the Chief or Sheriff. Knowing the bureaucracy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to send a copy c/o the officer as well.

If the agency head is doing his/her job, you should receive a response back from them recognizing your letter of appreciation.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What AZ said.
Getting a letter is one thing,
Having one (copy)sent to the sergeant or chief is better. Then the officer doesn’t have to toot his own horn.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont just send it to the Chief. Send copies to every local council member, mayor or administrator too.
These are the people selling out our Police.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to a general letter to the Chief or Sheriff, I would encourage you (and everyone else) to send a “job well done” letter to the Chief or Sheriff after EVERY positive contact with an officer. From personal experience, PA I can tell you that it does make the officer feel more better(er) about doing an otherwise thankless job. And it helps when evaluation time or promotions come up.

Posts: 886 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send a short handwritten note to the Chief, and it will find its way to the officer's personnel file (often along with a nice comment or note). Just say please let office XXXX know I appreciate his or her actions on XXXX, or "I just wanted to let you know what I good expereince I had with officer XXX on XXXX. [give details]." I review a ton of these when producing personnel files for public records requests.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What a great idea.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post