SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robot vacuum cleaners... I am looking to buy and would like opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robot vacuum cleaners... I am looking to buy and would like opinions Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Okay, so my wife is a clean freak. I would like to eliminate some of the suck, and I think a good start is a robot vacuum. I have read a lot of reviews and I am definitely leaning toward the iRobot Roomba. The problem is the iRobot website and Costco’s offerings don’t match.

We have no pets. No shedding. We don’t wear shoes in the house. It’s a pretty damn clean place to begin with. I usually buy the best and most expensive model of whatever I am looking at. So I have been looking at the best of the iRobot lineup, and I question if I really need that?

Most if the house is lifetime vinyl wood plank. The bedrooms are a short almost Berber like carpet.

Does anyone here have an iRobot and if so, which model? Do you like it? Is it decent? What do you like, what do you hate?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We have a Eufy 11s. Love it. Smile

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
After going through many reviews, we went with the Roborock S4. So far, it works very well and we really like the laser mapping function in the app. We previously owned one of the earlier Roombas; it was alright.

There are lots of good reviews on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/bYjlDwY9wPo

Some of the main questions:

1. What is your budget?
2. Do you need it to mop, too?
3. Do you want it to empty itself? (Heavily tied to #1)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17283 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
After going through many reviews, we went with the Roborock S4. So far, it works very well and we really like the laser mapping function in the app. We previously owned one of the earlier Roombas; it was alright.

There are lots of good reviews on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/bYjlDwY9wPo

Some of the main questions:

1. What is your budget?
2. Do you need it to mop, too?
3. Do you want it to empty itself? (Heavily tied to #1)

Budget is $500. Would spend a little more if it was worth it.
No need to mop
No need to empty itself. (It’s already vacuuming for me, emptying it is the easy part)

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I went through three of Roomba’s top of the line robots in less than 8 months. S7 or S9? I can’t remember, I’ve done my best to forget that fiasco. They sucked, in a bad way. WAY overpriced and there was nothing “smart” about the way they functioned. Constant issues with all three. Next I tried a Neato with not much better results. Currently I have the Shark robot and have been pleasantly surprised. It’s working well, does not get stuck and doesn’t spin around aimlessly. It cost half as much and has a lifetime warranty. I’ve read good things about Roborock, but they do not have a self emptying bin yet.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Still pleased with our Neato Botvac after nearly 3 years.

Ours vacuums around 1175 sq ft & takes about 90 minutes on the 'Turbo' [high-suction] setting.

It has to pause to recharge & I usually empty the bin then, as it's usually pretty full (dog hair).

Ours is the older model, that relies on a strip of magnetic 'tape' (like a flooring transition piece) to restrict access to areas.
We have a strip at the entrance to the hallway to the master bedroom (it would 'knock' on the door when we had it set to vacuum at night), and a strip keeping it out of the office (too many cords on the floor).

Newer models, I believe, let you restrict areas via the app (I assume once it's mapped the area once).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15352 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback thus far.

I am planning on buying from Costco, so if we are completely disappointed, it can be easily returned.

I have been stuck looking at the models Costco offers. They have everything from basic to self emptying and the prices are pretty great.

If anyone else has a robovac, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

quote:
The “lol” thread

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Roomba here, ours just died, well, it's in need of new drive wheels since the rubber wore down on the old one and it runs sideways with one side shorter than the other.

It is the older 500 Series so it's run for several years and just recently decided it's going to be in need of service. Each drive wheel is $30, we've replaced the battery pack once.

You can tell it's not running because of the amount of dog hair, dust etc we're picking up with the regular vac. These things work, the 500 doesn't have the mapping software, so we do have to close doors to the master bath, and the pool area...

Looking to replace this one due to age, but I could drop $100 into it and it would run fine..

Upgrade is the idea since I'd like to map off the house and mark out areas for it to avoid. Hardwood and rugs everywhere, it does a good job.

Posts: 23505 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We have only had the iRobot Braava Jet for a few days but so far it seems great. We have almost all hardwood and tile with two small area rugs which we vacuum by hand. We opted for this model because of the wet mop function.

It has not gotten stuck nor gotten 'lost', it maps where it has been and repeats up to 3 passes but we intend to drop that to 2 pass. We can assign different areas via the map and clean them on a schedule. We may change our opinion over time but for now we are on the positive side.

We got it from Bed Bath & Beyond, MSRP was $500 but found a 20% off coupon and made the purchase. Time will tell.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We have 2 Neato BOTVACs. Very pleased. One is a BOTVAC CONNECTED, the other is a D7.

May be out of your $ range.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We have a Shark self emptying model. Love it. You can turn it on from your phone or schedule it.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just got a lower end Coredy on Amazon Prime Day for about 50% off.
I did not want all the fancy WiFi and phone app stuff. I just wanted to set it to run at 1:00pm Daily.

I have to say that after a week I am very surprised and impressed. It takes about 2 hours to finish. Our 1st floor is broken up into 4 rooms split with a hallway down the middle. Entry to the kitchen is narrow.
There is an area rug in the living room, dining room, and den. It makes it everywhere with no issue then it goes around the edges.
The thing is genius. I was vacuuming daily as we do have a dog. Now I vacuum once a week with our big corded vacuum and there is not much in the canister.

Only had one issue so far my boys made this Halloween tree with orange Christmas lights. The cord was on the ground and the vacuum sucked it up and got stuck.

We have a dining room and kitchen table and it just makes it’s way through the chair and table legs like a pinball machine but just keeps on going.

Worth every penny!

Coredy Robot Vacuum Cleaner, Fully Upgraded, Boundary Strip Supported, 360° Smart Sensor Protection, 1400pa Max Suction, Super Quiet, Self-Charge Robotic Vacuum, Cleans Pet Fur, Hard Floor to Carpet https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
We had the Ecovacs Deebot N79. It regularly got stuck, kept going over the same space and not moving to the other side of the room, much less moving to another room, and even though I got a second docking station, it invariably could not locate either of them and had to be manually placed so it could recharge.

I had decided to dump it and upgrade to one with geofencing capability, but then saw that a very basic robo-vac (eufy Anker BoostIQ 11s) was on sale on Woot for $150.

I gave it a try and it's been great. Even though it is built very similar to the Deebot, its performance has been night and day different. It rarely gets stuck, it runs from room to room, and even if its on the other end of the house when the battery runs low, it finds its way back to the charging dock. It is a terrific little robo-vac.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Roomba 650. 4 dogs, 3 medium sized parrots, 1 cat. It knocks the fur and feathers down to a manageable level. I’ve had it for a while, and it’s held up.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5330 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Do any of these things cope with long hair very well? My wife is shedding. Wink

Posts: 26923 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So we went to Costco today. I started looking at the robovacs. They have the i4 and the i8. Then I spied three of the model 985. These were priced at 379.97. (Notice it ends in .97? Discontinued. $120 off).
I had been reviewing this model, but Costco was out of stock.
Needless to say, WALL-E is now mapping the house.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

Seriously, had someone told me when I was a kid, that I would have a robot vacuuming my house for me when I’m 46, I would have spit Pepsi all over them in laughter.

Aside of 2020 sucking, this is pretty awesome.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
And the downside is trying to figure out the features Of the roomba. It’s like trying to follow a map to Mordor.

quote:
The “lol” thread

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
We have a Eufy 11s. Love it. Smile

Second!

Edit: Paid about $150. Had to send it back once for a broken side sweeper gear. We hadn't policed the cords properly and it got tangled. I think we bought the 4 yr warranty (we have 3 dogs and a cat). Long hair will wrap around the drum but a weekly 3 min cleaning with the provided razor-tool handles that. We run ours for an hour, once a day. Sometimes twice. We just bought new carpet during lockdown and it keeps it looking brand new. Best money we ever spent!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on Amazon and saw that they had some of the Roborock models on special today...

https://www.amazon.com/deal/be...de-b962-ed4fac190c85

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post