SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great Grandma’s rolltop desk
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Grandma’s rolltop desk Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
This was in my grandparents house for as long as I can remember, surely before I was born.

It came from my great grandmothers farm before that, and likely went back one more generation.

We dated it to 1880s after some interwebs sleuthing.

Had it in storage, finally wrangled it into the basement this evening.

I’m sure liquor was never allowed in any household it was in for its first 100 years or so.
Feels a little blasphemous...

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
The only blasphemy in that photo is the bottle of V.O. hiding in the back row!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
LOL, that bottle and a few others came from my under my aunts kitchen sink when she remodeled a couple years ago.
It's still sealed and the tax stamp is dated 1979.
I'm sure it will make adequate parts cleaner at some point.

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am sure they are all happy to see it’s still of use.

What’s under the rolltop. Seems like that area would make a nice area for liquor or glasses.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7704 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I am sure they are all happy to see it’s still of use.

What’s under the rolltop. Seems like that area would make a nice area for liquor or glasses.

Yes, some smaller bottles and various bar ware is under the rolltop.

Have some of the lower drawers full of my golf ball stash, ProV1's etc.

--Riff Raff--

Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
The desk looks great for as old as it is. Nice selection on top too.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Hidden compartments or drawer?

Posts: 1579 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Hidden compartments or drawer?

Not that I’ve found...yet

--Riff Raff--

A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous!

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4815 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Pull the drawers out and see if anything has fallen behind them.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be some surprises in there still. My neighbor's 90 year old grandmother died and she went back to IL for the services and to help with some things. Turns out granny had three joints tucked in a tin next to her bed. Never saw it coming. I know this neighbor isn't a pot smoker but she joked about having a toke just because it was so wild. Some things just go by and we'd never be the wiser.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You may want to get a piece of glass cut to fit the top of the desk, or add some other form of protection.

If any of the booze runs down the side of the bottle when you pour and then you put the bottle down on the desk it will destroy the finish on the desk.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That brings back some memories. My grandma had one when I was growing up. She has passed away but my grandpa still has it at there house. Totally forgot about that desk until you posted.

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
You may want to get a piece of glass cut to fit the top of the desk, or add some other form of protection.

If any of the booze runs down the side of the bottle when you pour and then you put the bottle down on the desk it will destroy the finish on the desk.

Precisely my first thought.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
This was in my grandparents house for as long as I can remember, surely before I was born.

Beautiful desk!! We had one in our family at one time, but it did not survive to my generation.

How about a picture of the inside, with the tambour rolled back? That's where all of the interesting little drawers and cubbyholes are.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10796 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you ever decide to move it, they generally break apart into two self-contained sections, top and bottom. The top may be screwed or otherwise attached to the bottom in a variety of ways, inside, outside under the ledge, along the back, etc. It really doesn't take but about 4 screws placed judiciously, along with a couple of dowels for alignment, to hold it together solidly.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10796 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I inherited my dad's rolltop desk. So many drawers and cubby holes. I found a couple of secret compartments that yielded a doob from the 70s.

Posts: 4285 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Is there actually room enough for a modern-day adult's knees in between the stacks of drawers? If so, that really ought to be put back to its original intended purpose.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
It has a nice thick piece of glass on the inside
I will get a piece for the top I think

--Riff Raff--

posted Hide Post
Very cool. I inherited my great grandfathers desk. Its crazy to see the desk I played around in my grandfathers office in my house now. I hope to get a proper office and give it its proper space but I'm just proud to have it and I think he'd be proud someone cared enough to carry it on. I imagine it would be the same for your grandma.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post