SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    attended a naturalization/Oath of Allegiance ceremony
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

attended a naturalization/Oath of Allegiance ceremony Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
If you haven't had the opportunity, I encourage you to do so. Very powerful. My niece's husband has been working for 5 years to become a citizen. It was very powerful to stand with these new citizens and pledge allegiance to the flag, and sing the national anthem.

I personally think that all native-born US citizens should be required to pass the (pretty stringent) naturalization knowledge/history test and take the Oath of Allegiance before they can vote. I'd bet money that my nephew knows more about US history and the structure and function of government than 90% of US high school graduates.

We got new citizens from Burma, Angola, Somalia, Slovakia, Russia, Georgia, Mexico, Dominican Republic, China, France, Brazil, Guatemala, Pakistan, India, Iran, Iraq, and I couple others I can't recall.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3291 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My wife is Brazilian. She made her oath 2 years ago. It was a good day.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5519 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I remember the day I took my oath

lots of people in the rooms

my only complain about the whole thing was that everyone got a small US flag

the flag was made in China

other than that, it was the culmination of 23 years of effort

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
My wife is Brazilian. She made her oath 2 years ago. It was a good day.

Tony.
She's American now! And we are glad to have her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I still remember the day I took my oath of citizenship. It was very emotional and I got teary eyed. Especially when they played that video/song by Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA". I took that oath seriously. Everyday that I wake up since I moved here to the US 26 years ago, I am always thankful for my adoptive country for the opportunities and a chance of a better life. I just wish that people who were born here will never take for granted how lucky they are to have been born in this great country.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
I still remember the day I took my oath of citizenship. It was very emotional and I got teary eyed. Especially when they played that video/song by Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA". I took that oath seriously. Everyday that I wake up since I moved here to the US 26 years ago, I am always thankful for my adoptive country for the opportunities and a chance of a better life. I just wish that people who were born here will never take for granted how lucky they are to have been born in this great country.
Amen!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3291 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm a naturalized citizen, too.

This country isn't perfect but it's the best one.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
If you haven't had the opportunity, I encourage you to do so. Very powerful. My niece's husband has been working for 5 years to become a citizen. It was very powerful to stand with these new citizens and pledge allegiance to the flag, and sing the national anthem.

I personally think that all native-born US citizens should be required to pass the (pretty stringent) naturalization knowledge/history test and take the Oath of Allegiance before they can vote. I'd bet money that my nephew knows more about US history and the structure and function of government than 90% of US high school graduates.

We got new citizens from Burma, Angola, Somalia, Slovakia, Russia, Georgia, Mexico, Dominican Republic, China, France, Brazil, Guatemala, Pakistan, India, Iran, Iraq, and I couple others I can't recall.

May God bless you all...each and every one! Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My partner was Canadian and became an American citizen in 2014. I attended with her parents, and couldn't have been prouder.

She is a great citizen, and is happy and appreciative of America's advantages in a way that so many native born citizens take for granted.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Read this thread to understand the difference between illegal and legal immigrants.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8620041624

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That should be a requirement of anyone that's allowed in permanently.
You need to show progress along the way and at the end you must qualify and pass a citizenship test or out you go.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post