SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Making lots of smoke and noise, building bridges (literally). The steercar in action.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making lots of smoke and noise, building bridges (literally). The steercar in action. Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted
Awhile back I posted of the steercar we were building at work. You can see those pics here.

I'm finally getting around to a post showing how they're used on the job. Yesterday we were delivering some girders for a new freeway they're building up around Layton, UT, to run out on the west side of the city. These pics are of the two-stroke powered car, one that isn't in the previous post I referenced above. It's kinda cool to still be using a truck with an engine that is well over 50 years old. Those two-stroke Detroit Diesels have a very unique and nostalgic sound. Boy do they ever smoke and slobber oil all over the place.

Here is the view from the cab as we are on the new roadbed. We travel over the normal roads with traffic also, but I didn't film until we were off the open roads and onto the new road. There's a wee bit of a blind spot.

Approaching the crane, getting into position for the lift.

Pulling down our tie downs while the crew connects the rigging.

Almost ready for the lift. The crane has to get centered before lifting to ensure that the girder doesn't travel after lifting. Incorrectly centering the crane can cause the girder to swing into the truck, or even itself. The spotter on top is helping the crane operator get centered.

The girder is off the truck. When using a single crane on a large girder, two belay lines are required to prevent the girder from rotating at the center. The worst outcome would be for the girder to pivot and impact the crane arm. Nothing left for us to do but go home and mail invoices.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Good pics and explanation of what was going on.
How much did that girder weigh?

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Neat stuff!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
How much did that girder weigh?

This one wasn't very big compared to some others we've delivered. It was 130,977 lbs (59,410kg) and 138' (42m) long. We are usually doing this at night during a road closure (so it's harder to take good pics), but because this is an entirely new freeway that isn't yet opened, we were delivering during the day.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You ought to pitch that rig to a hollywood action director for their next street chase scene. Looks like a wiper blade for traffic.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Cool photos. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of when we used to have our sailboat hauled for winter storage. Nothing like seeing your 8,000 lb. boat floating through the air, over your head, like this:

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Reminds me of when we used to have our sailboat hauled for winter storage. Nothing like seeing your 8,000 lb. boat floating through the air, over your head
What's even more fun, is to spend every weekend hour for a month and a half, working on a classic wooden sailboat, getting it ready to go back into the water for the summer season, and watching the sling slip out of place, and the boat come crashing down. That happened in the early 1960s.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Is that a Pearson 30? I have a shitload of hours racing in a Pearson 30.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Is that a Pearson 30? I have a shitload of hours racing in a Pearson 30.
That she is Smile She was a great boat.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Awhile back I posted of the steercar we were building at work. You can see those pics here.

I'm finally getting around to a post showing how they're used on the job. Yesterday we were delivering some girders for a new freeway they're building up around Layton, UT, to run out on the west side of the city. These pics are of the two-stroke powered car, one that isn't in the previous post I referenced above. It's kinda cool to still be using a truck with an engine that is well over 50 years old. Those two-stroke Detroit Diesels have a very unique and nostalgic sound. Boy do they ever smoke and slobber oil all over the place.

Here is the view from the cab as we are on the new roadbed. We travel over the normal roads with traffic also, but I didn't film until we were off the open roads and onto the new road. There's a wee bit of a blind spot.

Got any audio and/or preferably video of one of these bad boys in action? I REALLY dig nostalgic HP... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Is it stressful to be the steercar operator?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29708 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
COOL!!!

Posts: 5328 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Back about y2k I had a fish camp in Moore Haven Fl. Highway 27 split the town and it still had a draw bridge over the Caloosahatchee River. A pleasure cruising sailboat with a tall mast could back up hwy 27 traffic for a mile and the bridge occasionally malfunctioned bringing activity to a halt.

A major expansion was planned for hwy 27 with a fixed height bridge tall enough for barges to get under. The spans look similar to op's pictures and they came in via barge. All was going good. They were mounting the first span and the next span was on the barge beneath it. The span got loose and crashed on top of the one beneath it delaying the project by about a year.

FYI: that bridge is now one of the more notorious speed traps in Florida. Speed limit is 65 on hwy 27 between Clewiston and Moore Haven. Drops to 55 on approach to bridge, drops to 45 when you first get on bridge and slows to 35 at the crest.

Troopers and sheriff's dept set their radar at the foot of the downside and sky is the limit on number of tickets they can write.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Traffic can make it so. Also weather. If it starts raining, visibility goes out the door. I’ve sometimes had to look beside the door at the line on the shoulder to stay on the road. A person was killed in one (not ours, an unpowered unit) in 2020. People will sometimes cross under like Christmas Vacation, or do other stupid stuff like drive around the police blockade at intersections and cross right in front of a 100 ton load. “But, but officer, the light was green!”

Did you see us working in Lehi/Highland? We delivered a bunch of these with steercars on the I-15 Lehi expansion. We probably did sixty or more girders on that job. Big ones, too, like the Lehi State Street overpass.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Got any audio and/or preferably video of one of these bad boys in action? I REALLY dig nostalgic HP... Cool

No, but I know where to get some audio. Right now I’ve got it still ringing in my ears. They didn’t call them “Screamin’ Jimmys” because they were quiet.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Traffic can make it so. Also weather. If it starts raining, visibility goes out the door. I’ve sometimes had to look beside the door at the line on the shoulder to stay on the road. A person was killed in one (not ours, an unpowered unit) in 2020. People will sometimes cross under like Christmas Vacation, or do other stupid stuff like drive around the police blockade at intersections and cross right in front of a 100 ton load. “But, but officer, the light was green!”

Did you see us working in Lehi/Highland? We delivered a bunch of these with steercars on the I-15 Lehi expansion. We probably did sixty or more girders on that job. Big ones, too, like the Lehi State Street overpass.

I did see that work in progress. Didn't know that was you, brother.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29708 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
-71 or -92. # cylinders. Turbo, Turbo intercooled? C'mon man, Detroit afficianodes need to know!

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
From the link in the first post: Cummins 855 big cam

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30693 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.
Thanks for posting this.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
From the link in the first post: Cummins 855 big cam

It would appear the pictures above and the original steercar are different. But from the post above is this. "These pics are of the two-stroke powered car, one that isn't in the previous post I referenced above. It's kinda cool to still be using a truck with an engine that is well over 50 years old. Those two-stroke Detroit Diesels have a very unique and nostalgic sound. Boy do they ever smoke and slobber oil all over the place".

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post