SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joining the local Baptist Church... I was raised without religion. I need advice on church, how to find God/happiness, etc.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joining the local Baptist Church... I was raised without religion. I need advice on church, how to find God/happiness, etc. Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It's great that you post the question here and also will be interesting hearing the different responses.

The Bible is THE WORD OF GOD and also a history book with many lessons that are applicable to all situations that you deal with in your life today. Reading the scriptures can help you make good decisions in nearly every facet of your life. I also am a NIV reader, although I still use the NIV 84 version as that's what I learned on. It was updated a few years back and some of the wording was changed slightly but the meaning remains the same.

I was also raised without religion and didn't find GOD until October 4th of 1997. Some people from the ICOC (International Churches of Christ) reached out to me and they had a really good Bible study course that made everything make sense and a very short amount of time. I still have the outline if you'd like the lesson. That church was kind of like the special forces of churches back then and they were super aggressive in teaching, outreach, baptisms and church plantings. Unfortunately, they overstepped boundaries with many people and they had two church splits since then.

I no longer attend that church of any of its offshoots, but instead attend the mainline "Churches of Christ" that ICOC split off from in the 1970's and we've found happiness and balance there. The doctrine and teachings are the same, but the management style of the leadership is much more practical.

I learned in my early bible studies before my baptism that my personal walk and relationship with GOD is what matters most. My faith cannot rely on my spouse, my friends, my pastor, my life situation, my job, my health, my wealth, my humility, my pride, my sin, my purity, the political climate, prosperity, disaster or anything else that is not GOD alone. No matter the situation in life, GOD loves you, and GOD is with you and GOD will not abandon you. We may turn our backs on HIM but HE never turns HIS back on us.

GOD loves us enough to give us free will and HE desires for us to love HIM back. Unfortunately, there are those that use their free will to do terrible things. When you attend your new church, understand that you and everyone else in the room has free will, granted by GOD. GOD gives us the scriptures as a guide on how to live and how to treat others. None of us are perfect, which is why The BIBLE has has instructions on what to do when you make mistakes.

Once you study the scriptures and decide that Jesus is THE LORD of your life confess that HE is your personal LORD and savior and you repent and are baptized, your sins are forgiven. That does not mean that you will now live a sinless life. We are imperfect people and as stated earlier by another poster, the congregation is full of sinners. We should try our best to live a life free from sin, but that is simply not possible, which is why we take weekly communion. But that also does not mean that we should carry on as if nothing ever changed in our lives or sin freely knowing we can just take communion and all is forgiven (there's a scripture addressing that too). We should allow the scriptures to influence positive changes in our lives.

There are many important scriptures but I'll point out just a couple.

Jesus was asked what was the greatest commandment. This was his reply:
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

How The BIBLE defines love:
1 Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

GOD commands that we meet with a body of believers so that we can walk in this world together, always encouraging each other and loving each other. HE does not wish for us to be alone in this world.

I could write much more, but I think I'll stop there. Enjoy your new experience and new friendships.

Prayers out for your journey and for a clear path. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know how advice can help you much.

As I understand it, you are considering whether you are a believer or not. Arguments that use the Bible to "prove" the merits of faith miss the boat because they use the thing to be believed to convince you to believe it. They get the cart before the horse.

Maybe some Christian apologias would be useful to you. C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" is one of the best-respected of modern times.

But in the end, belief is in your head. You have to decide for yourself. Don't decide simply to make your wife happy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
[Q
But in the end, belief is in your head.

I believe it is in your heart, myself.

I wish you the best Beancooker.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am an "opiate of the masses" man myself.

But this is something only you can decide for yourself. if you are having doubts about whether or not you believe, you need to straighten that out first, for yourself, and then find the religion that you feel is appropriate.

Your wife, the pastor, your forum friends, etc, cant be a part of it, you have to figure out if you believe on your own

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

But this is something only you can decide for yourself. if you are having doubts about whether or not you believe, you need to straighten that out first, for yourself, and then find the religion that you feel is appropriate.

Your wife, the pastor, your forum friends, etc, cant be a part of it, you have to figure out if you believe on your own

It’s nice to have help interpreting scriptures...

Acts 8:
29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”

30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.

31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

As for him figuring out on his own first, that goes against scripture. Scriptures dictate nothing is by chance. We are meant to be in each others lives at the right time. Even us on this forum.

Acts 17:
26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

It is absolutely appropriate to have a pastor, friends and a wife lay things out in scripture. Weather or not the scriptures impact his heart and he believes is up to him.

Tony.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, reading, thinking, trying to make others happy in no way ensures you will 'believe'. I know, I tried for years.

But that's ok, there are plenty of others in the Church who just show up on Sunday and go through the motions. I'm just not one of those people.

In the end, you can't force yourself to find God and even though you might, that doesn't mean you'll be 'happy'.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Get a copy of Streams in the Desert...it’s a daily devotional you and your wife could share together each morning.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
For more in depth and Bible chapter specific, try Bible Study Fellowship if there is one near you, but that’s a big chunk of study for start.

I can second Bible Study Fellowship. They are non-denominational. I've gone to a Ladies Class on and off for years. There is always a mix of old and new believers with varying ranges of knowledge.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Beancooker, first word of advice; send me your mailing address,I will forward you an English copy of the Bible in larger print.

Second word of advice; in man's limited understanding of God, man has placed in print the Word of God. Don't let man's limited understanding of science get in your way of understanding God. Wink

Third; the best thing ever done to the Bible was to add chapters and verses; the worse thing ever done to the Bible was to add chapters and verses. Don't allow someone to quote a verse out of context and use that as an excuse for understanding (such as "judge not lest thee be judged").

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:

Acts 8:

30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.

31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

As for him figuring out on his own first, that goes against scripture. Scriptures dictate nothing is by chance. We are meant to be in each others lives at the right time. Even us on this forum.

Acts 17:
26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

It is absolutely appropriate to have a pastor, friends and a wife lay things out in scripture. Weather or not the scriptures impact his heart and he believes is up to him.

Tony.

Benny, if you aren't already a believer, scripture won't help you much. You are, after all, trying to decide whether you believe scripture reveals the will of the deity. If you haven't already decided that scripture is that, it can't be used to convince you that it describes the will of god. That is totally circular.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Acts 8:

Acts 17:

Tony.

First you have to know if you believe. If you don't, then none of that means anything to you. I'm not bashing those who believe, I'm just saying that your belief must be in your own heart or not. Nobody can put it there for you.

I don't believe, so you can quote me all the scripture you want and it wont matter. If he decides that he does indeed believe, then he may need help learning more and getting on the path from others, yes.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm Baptist, so forgive me if the evangelical thread or two shows itself here, but my old preacher once told me "son, your job ain't makin' 'em believe, it's just tellin' 'em." The information is there, the opportunity is there, every man must work it out for himself.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I can't offer any suggestions, but I do pray you will find your own way. I've been a Methodist all my life (even long before UMC) and have been active in a church since my teens. I don't know how I'd get by without my association with church and church people.

There are many different kinds of Baptists, so I hope you are joining a version that works for you.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Acts 8:

Acts 17:

Tony.

First you have to know if you believe. If you don't, then none of that means anything to you. I'm not bashing those who believe, I'm just saying that your belief must be in your own heart or not. Nobody can put it there for you.

I don't believe, so you can quote me all the scripture you want and it wont matter. If he decides that he does indeed believe, then he may need help learning more and getting on the path from others, yes.

This man feels good about it but has questions. He wants to believe. You, as an unbeliever, are telling him that a pastor should not help him understand the scriptures or answer questions.

Should a person with no technical knowledge of aircraft or basic mechanics try and fly a helicopter by themselves before they decide it’s just not right for them? Perhaps an orientation flight and some flight lessons by a professional might help before committing to getting a pilots license?

My opinion is that you’re doing this man a great disservice. I’m quoting scriptures for the OP, not you. He is the one with the open mind and heart. Your mind is made up and that’s fine. I won’t try to change it.

And to be clear, I’m not trying to belittle you or argue with you. I’m trying to respectfully disagree with you.

I don’t believe people should blindly follow if they don’t believe but I will share my faith when the opportunity presents itself and let the listener decide for themselves.

Respectfully,
Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

Acts 8:

Acts 17:

Tony.

Benny, if you aren't already a believer, scripture won't help you much. You are, after all, trying to decide whether you believe scripture reveals the will of the deity. If you haven't already decided that scripture is that, it can't be used to convince you that it describes the will of god. That is totally circular.

Well I wish we were all local to each other. This is a deep topic that would be better talked about over a cup of coffee. Things can be misconstrued over forum posts.

Good day gentlemen.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
As nonbeliever obviously I have no idea what you are looking for or how to get it, but I have to wonder why you have to give up all your " wordly possessions and awsume career's to be happy" ? Vows of poverty are not consistant with the lifestyles of the Baptists I know. If i was to announce to my wife that we should give up our possessions and careers, happiness most certianly would not result. She probably would divorce me, institutionalize me or poision my food. Why would this make your wife happy ? You admitted to a wierd feeling about this and uncertainty is clear. Perhaps it may be best to throughly and exhaustively exercise reason before taking that leap of faith .

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Your making a connection to the giving up of stuff for a simpler life and religion that the OP did not (correct me if I'm wrong OP).

I can certainly see how ditching the "McMansion" and all the toys along with the debt and 60+ hour per week job for a simple debt (and stuff)-free life of time to travel could make someone happier! It is like what most people think of as an ideal retirement, only now before wasting most of your life at a job. Maybe I've just been watching too many shows about "tiny houses" lately, but I get it. Wink

And...he also had some Q's about religion. I wouldn't join a church unless I believed what they believe. Attending is fine no matter what you believe. The suggestions to get a better Bible and read "Mere Christianity" are good ones.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

Acts 8:

Acts 17:

Tony.

Well I wish we were all local to each other. This is a deep topic that would be better talked about over a cup of coffee. Things can be misconstrued over forum posts.

Good day gentlemen.

Tony.

I would also be happy to talk, if we were able.

If the OP is looking for illumination of faith he already has, then this sort of information is useful.

If he is still searching for faith, or deciding if he is a believer, then I think scriptural quotes would not be very helpful.

But it is also true that such belief is not entirely logic-driven, so perhaps it is also fair to note that even to a non-believer who is also searching, scripture may have something to say.

Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Beancooker, I hope that you will look into the Bible further and study doctrine. The Holy Spirit will lead you to find Christ.

You may not "find happiness," easily. But resting on Faith will provide peace.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7211 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to be a Christian? Do you know what it is to be "saved?" Do you know what you are saved from? Do you know that being a Christian will cost you everything? Do you know what I mean when I say that? Or are you doing it to make your wife happy? Are you doing it because you think you could use a little church or religion? The fact of it is, you can't "decide" to be a Christian. You can't say a prayer and "ask Jesus into your heart", or just decide to answer some altar call, and become a Christian. Becoming a Christian means giving up your life. Like Dietrich Bonhoeffer said, "When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die." Do you know yet what that means?

The road to becoming a Christian for most people is a very painful journey. One usually doesn't know that Christ is the end when that journey begins. And one doesn't know that God was the beginning until the journey ends with Christ. And hardly anyone knows the the Spirit was with you the whole time. You won't know what that means until you are a Christian.

And for many, it's a painful life. Because you will likely lose friends, maybe family. You will be ridiculed. You will struggle until the day you die with the filth in your mind that you would give all you own for no one else to know existed. You'll have to give up things that you think you love that aren't consistent with a life in Christ. Are you ready for that?

But you will live a life secure in the knowledge that when your old friends ridicule you, Christ is smiling on you. You'll know that if they hate you, it's because they hated Him first. Your joy in God and His Christ will be overwhelming because of the burdens from which he has delivered you, and the knowledge of where you are going.

One of the best explanations I've ever heard about the call to become a Christian if, indeed, that's what you've really received, was given by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in the 1950s. I would highly recommend that you take 55 minutes and listen to it. His is a profoundly simple, yet perfectly biblical explanation about the call of God to be a Christian.

I'd also recommend you listen to another Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones sermon called The Call Of Christ. It's perhaps the best sermon ever recorded on what it is to be call by God to a life in Christ. MLJ gives a biblical, no-holds-barred, account of the acceptance of the call of Christ.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post