SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with a Dell laptop, please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with a Dell laptop, please. Login/Join 
posted
I've got a Dell e6420 laptop running Windows 10 Office. A piece of software I'm using needs a COM port to communicate with my 3d printer, but I can't find one on the computer. Looking at Device Manager I see an LPT port, but no COM. I appreciate any advice/knowledge you can impart.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
What kind of cord came with your 3D printer?

Most these days are USB.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
COM = serial communication.
3D printer is likely using COM over USB (cheap 16bit microcontroller, like arduino). Sounds like you're not to the 'computer talking to 3D printer' stage yet.

Once it's connected & drivers are installed, it will show up as COM# (where # = 1, 2, 3, etc) and you'll set that COM port in the communication software.

I have a home built 3D printer with an arduino as the brain & IIRC, it took a bit of fussing to get the right driver installed. It's been many beers since I set it up, so I don't remember exactly - more details on your setup might jog my memory.

Posts: 3300 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link between computer and printer is a USB cable. I'm using the Arduino IDE to edit Marlin printer control software, and the problem comes up when I try to flash the printer firmware. Arduino asks for a COM port and I can't find one on the laptop. It works no problem with my desktop, so I'd guess the printer isn't the issue.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Do you have the USB/COM drivers for arduino board installed on the desktop?

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Comm ports were taken off laptops years ago.

Does your printer have an actual serial port?

It would have 9 pins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

If it does you would need a USB to serial port cable. About $10 on Amazon, then load the drivers.

If not you will need other driver software to make the emulation.

Here is a free one

https://freevirtualserialports.com/

I have not tried it, my cable came its own drivers.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Check the correct drivers for the Arduino chipset - Device Manager.

In Device Manager, you will find the COM port number under ports. And will be displayed something like USB serial port (COM4).

From Arduino IDE go to File/Preferences.
Look for the path to the preferences.txt file.
Close Arduino
Open the preferences.txt file.
edit serial.port = COMx

Launch Arduino again.
Look at Tools/Port, COM port is now listed.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22954 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem solved! After installing the printer in the Control Panel and checking for drivers, all is well (expected it to be plug and play, I guess). Almost goes without saying that this group is awesome. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
good luck with the 3d printing rabbit hole.....

Posts: 3300 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post