SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New TV Service Issue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New TV Service Issue Login/Join 
posted
I often view Netflix or Prime. I recently switched from cable to a satellite based service. Now, after running Nexflix or Prime for several hours, the system will lock up and I get a message that says, "Device has insufficient broadband width."

Is the issue with my TV or my service, or another device in the system? I'd like to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Netflix and Prime are streaming services. I would expect them to be carried to your TV via your internet provider not your Sat TV service. Your internet bandwidth is most likely the culprit.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll run the tests and reset the router, perhaps. I wondered because unplugging the tv for a minute, then restarting it, resolves the issue for a day or two.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
unplugging the tv for a minute, then restarting it, resolves the issue for a day or two
I had a similar situation with a Samsung TV. The wifi interface was getting flakey. Fortunately, we had bought this at Costco and the problem started about a month before the extended warranty ran out, so we were able to return it for an exchange.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Satellite internet is expensive in comparison to normal land based. So it's possible the provider cuts it after X amount of hours, in case someone leaves it streaming and forgets about it. The other situation could be weather and heavy clouds can interfere.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
He said that the problem is resolved for a day or two by re-booting the TV, so that does not sound anything like satellite feed being throttled by the service provider.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
He said that the problem is resolved for a day or two by re-booting the TV, so that does not sound anything like satellite feed being throttled by the service provider.

It's possible it is the TV also. But I've also seen Satellite internet providers bump the system off after a few hours of continuous usage. I have also seen satellite do that with weather. Most of the yachts I run have satellite TV and Satellite internet. We have separate dishes for each, but some owners/guests will stream Netflix etc from the internet. Generally the satellite internet plans are pretty expensive compared to land based.

OP- is it possible to test the internet feed by logging onto it with a phone, tablet, or computer to see if you're getting fast internet when this happens with the TV?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, you're getting internet via satellite now, and were getting it via cable - is that right?

Satellite is typically a huge reduction in bandwidth and an increase in latency compared to cable.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post