SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The U S Postal Service still losing money
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The U S Postal Service still losing money Login/Join 
posted
"The US Postal Service lost $6.5 billion in its just-completed fiscal year delivering a blow to the service’s hopes of a financial turnaround."

The Postal Service had projected it would break even in the fiscal year that ended September 30.

Really? Did those morons not know they've been losing money? This is a surprise?? Seems like some management improvements may be in order. Maybe the union would be willing to share some of the loss. Smile

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/15...vice-loss/index.html

Posts: 778 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Incompetent management hiring incompetent, entitled, lazy people who are barely literate and despise their customers.

Yeah, that's a model for success.

Posts: 107739 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Incompetent management hiring incompetent, entitled, lazy people who are barely literate and despise their customers.

Nailed it!

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some months ago, I had to get the lock changed in my mailbox...our townhouses have a "community" mailbox...and the lock "froze"; key wouldn't turn at all. Due to this, I had to drive to the post office to pick up my mail. So a week or so after the lock replacement job was started, I went to check on the status of the "project" at the post office responsible for changing the lock and pick up my mail.

First, it took almost an HOUR...yes, one HOUR...to get someone to come to the door where you were REQUIRED to ring the bell and wait for a representative.

Secondly, when said rep FINALLY showed up, she had such a grumpy attitude to the point of showing outright contempt that some pasty white boy was interrupting her work/nap and was snotty beyond belief. I just killed her with kindness and left with a smile on my face. Thought about reporting her to her supervisor, but KNEW it would be a waste of my time and that NOTHING would change.

Enjoy the $6.5 BILLION loss, ass hats!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
4 days to deliver a Priority package from South to North Houston. These incompetent SOBs need to be in solitary confinement. And that's nowhere near their worst case. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26493 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I just had back to back diplomas with MASSIVE DO NOT FOLD warnings, get folded into my mailbox by the current postal worker. The previous one would never do that. I'm not surprised at all.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7082 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered a history CD from a guy who lives in Neguanee. Which is 11 miles from me. Shipping was $5.00. Had to imagine they lost money on that! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spot on. All they bring me is junk mail while delivering my packages to my neighbors, hoping the person who received it in my neighborhood will bring it to me. It's a given that some percentage of packages sent through the usps will never reach me.

I will start paying for FedEx shipping from now on how that I think of it. It's better to pay more for competent shipping than to pay a lot more for the item you'll never receive.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess we can expect another push to end Saturday deliveries. Frankly, I don't care anymore.

It's been about two years since I dared to place any outgoing mail in my mailbox. The lazy fucks have come to my box that has the flag up and stamped mail ready to go out, and they've just dropped incoming mail on top of it and gone on their clueless way. No, really. It's happened more than once. Consequently, I do everything online and in the instances when that is not possible, I drive to the post office and mail it from there. They don't care, so I don't care.

As a matter of fact, just shut it down altogether. That actually seems like the best solution.

Posts: 107739 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Business model/ Profit is based on 3rd class bulk mail trash mail

I’m getting significantly less, that’s hitting the bottom line as email is basically free

Lots of people must be retiring so pension plan costs are increasing.

Not sure which is smarter. Postal union or Railroad union. There is a line item for both for taxes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever wondered why it takes 50 cents to deliver a package from China but $20-40 to deliver a package of the same size two towns over inside the US? Or $60 to send it from the US to Europe?

Yeah, me too.

Posts: 119 | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The old Pony Express from yesteryear would be far more efficient today.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and do what Canada did:
  • Shutter all of the post offices and outsource it to drug stores, Hallmark, etc. It's just a little counter in the corner (probably where 1-hour photos used to be).
  • Actually delivering mail is Mon to Fri 9 to 5. No overtime so it gets there when it gets there.
  • If you think the US Gov't faux holidays are excessive, they ain't got nothing on the volume of Canadian faux holidays.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    25 yrs ago my neighbor picked up a seasonal job at the post office. He said he watched a full timer flip through a magazine then sort, flip through a magazine and sort, repeat.

Did you see the new Mercedes mail vans with the customized USPS logo in the grill. Those things will not last a few years compared to the old metal boxes they use to use.

Can someone explain why the mailman needs to have a uniform to deliver junk mail. $70 pants that need alterations and a $50 button down shirt?

Why cant Amazon just drop off my junk mail with the rest of my deliveries?

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jodel-Time
    Picture of Mboroman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    It's been about two years since I dared to place any outgoing mail in my mailbox. The lazy fucks have come to my box that has the flag up and stamped mail ready to go out, and they've just dropped incoming mail on top of it and gone on their clueless way. No, really. It's happened more than once. Consequently, I do everything online and in the instances when that is not possible, I drive to the post office and mail it from there. They don't care, so I don't care.

We've not only had the same thing happen but our carriers have, at times, taken it up a notch. Even though we have outgoing mail in the box with the flag up, if there is no incoming mail, they pass right by to the next house that has incoming mail. I'm sure that the USPS will explain it as being for the sake of efficiency or some such. We now do all bill paying online except for property taxes which I now attend to in person. The USPS did not deliver my payment a few years back and I got stuck with penalties. Now, every year, I have to march my happy ass downtown to make sure they are paid on time.

I'm waiting patiently for my wife to realize that if she wants to be sure outgoing mail actually goes out, she needs to drive the half-mile to the "postal store" that handles USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL.

Posts: 566 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blume9mm
    posted Hide Post
    but things will be looking up for the USPS... my local / state paper The Greenville News has decided that they will improve the delivery of my morning paper.. they now mail it to me and it arrive between 4 and 5 in the afternoon... and the Sunday paper is printing sometime Friday night so it can be delivered on Saturday. I think the bean counters at this paper must be ex-postal administrators that were fired for incompetence if that is possible there.

My Native American Name:
    "Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diablo Blanco
    Picture of dking271
    posted Hide Post
    I’d be curious to know how much the pension liabilities are costing the USPS. Only 9 percent of workers in this country have true pensions and 6 percent of those work for government/municipalities. Corporate America was given a golden parachute with the “Pension Protection Act” of 2007. It allowed corporation to disband their underfunded defined benefits plans and release money to the participants in amounts that could never deliver the same benefits that were promised. I’d be willing to bet that is taking such a huge bite out of the apple they can never get above water. Flipping the pension over to a 401k will never happen due to the union. So instead, they will eat the goose that layed the golden eggs. It’s a matter of time before it dies.

The USPS is as poorly run as our education system in this country putting out a crappy end user product.

Posts: 2971 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have a separate thread in the "What's Your Deal" subforum about the USPS, but I occasionally have one issue with my local delivery.

Disclaimer: Some of this could be blamed on the city / E911 Service.

(Street names changed to protect the innocent). I live at "200 Elm Street". In the subdivision is "Elm Circle", which also has a house address of 200. And on the end my street is "Elm Court", which (you guessed it), also has a house address of 200.

So, on occasion, we get one another's mail. I think somewhere along the line, someone isn't reading street, circle , or court after the main name. I generally just drop incorrect mail back into the post office mailbox, which is more convenient than going to the other houses.

Posts: 492 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post