SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody ever buy land and build a house?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody ever buy land and build a house? Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have my eye on a piece of land. let me know how it works out for you.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are all architects, engineers ?
are all engineers , architects ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
We moved into our home in January. We started construction last April. We had biught the land a couple years ago.

I drew the plans and wrote the specs(engineer).

Our builder was decent. We did a cost+ arrangement where his fee was a fixed percentage. Prior to signing we obtained bids for all the major items and the builder provided costs for the minor ones. The house is built to my specs. I picked the HVAC, plumbing, lights, windows, etc. We had one change order - a couple windows were originally too small. In the end we were about 3% over budget.

The project ran longer than originally intended. That's my one and only complaint with my builder. The process was still an emotional roller coaster, especially at the end.

My advice: Get a general contractor. Talk it over with him. Go over the project onsite and explain your goal. If the GC won't give you an itemized cost breakdown or requires you to use his preferred products for windows or HVAC, etc. then find another builder. I called over two dozen and interviewed 7 before finding the one who built my house.

Plan on being onsite at least weekly at first and then almost daily towards the end. Ask the subcontractors for advice about how they would do their own house. The subs will give you very good advice within their specialties.

Focus on building a relationship with your GC and with the really important subs. Get to know the installing contractor for your HVAC.

Do not go with builder grade windows, HVAC, plumbing, or paint.

Take tons and tons of photos. Take photos of every wall in every room after electrical and plumbing are roughed in. The photos will help if you ever need to know how something is routed.

Plan for a big mechanical room. If you're doing well water plan room for the pressure tank and filtration system.

Ask for 1" pex minimum for your water trunk lines.

Plan on buying a tractor and a ton of yard tools. When you own enough land to be called land you need a whole different level of tools than city folk require.

This was pretty much the path we followed. Although we started with a stock set of plans that we modified prior to construction starting.

We did a construction loan, and the bank inspected along the way to determine milestone payments.

In our case, I did a bunch of the work on the house. Some builders and contractors won't let the owners do that. If you can and are willing, you can cut thousands off the price if you can perform some of the work.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post