SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife and I made ineligible Roth IRA contributions... need help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife and I made ineligible Roth IRA contributions... need help Login/Join 
posted
My wife had a decent raise last year which put us over the income limits to contribute to a Roth IRA. I contributed $2400 to mine and hers was $3000.

Im not really sure what we need to do to correct this?

My wife is looking to possibly quit in the coming year or so if we have another child. She is also looking for a new job so we may fall back under the income limits later.

It looks like there is a 6% penalty. Do we just pay the penalty to the IRS for last year contributions and call it good?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Have you considered recharacterizing them as Traditional IRA's and then converting them to Roth IRA's afterwards?

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Have you considered recharacterizing them as Traditional IRA's and then converting them to Roth IRA's afterwards?

I have not. I just did a quick google search it I’m getting a lot of information converting a traditional to a Roth but not the other way

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Call the company that holds the IRA. I did it one year, called & set it right.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
You can withdraw the excess contribution amount plus the related earnings up to the due date of your return for the given year. So if the excess was contributed in 2020, you have until April 15, 2021 to pull it back out. The earnings computation is something your plan administrator or your tax preparer can do for you.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be because of my age... but I thought 7k was max ROTH annual contribution

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Hey there gpbst3,

here is the IRS link.....

https://www.irs.gov/retirement...of-ira-contributions

Always best to check with the advisor at the custodian of your ROTH accounts of course.

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Could be because of my age... but I thought 7k was max ROTH annual contribution

It's typically $6,000, or $7,000 if you're age 50 or older.

However, that's for people with annual income of less than $124k, or a married couple making less than $196k. It's reduced above those income limits, and cuts off at $139k/$206k.

In the OP's case, his wife's raise partway through the year led to them being over the limit.

Posts: 32531 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

I called Vanguard and opened a traditional IRA. Transferred the required amount over and they had a formula for the interest gained. No penalties. Thanks

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
There's a limit on contributions to all IRAs combined.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for you.