SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump orders Interior Secretary to open up 1.4 millian acres of fed. land for public use.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump orders Interior Secretary to open up 1.4 millian acres of fed. land for public use. Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted
https://www.washingtonexaminer...s-to-hunters-anglers

Good for him. He's also eliminating 7,500 regulations for more access to federal lands.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The term "Federal Land" always annoys me. Land in this country can only be 'private' (i.e. owned by an individual or individuals) or 'public' (maintained by the government for the use of 'all'). The idea the federal government can hold land unto itself and refuse to allow the public access and use of it should be viewed as completely unacceptable to everyone.

Good for President Trump from at least chipping away at this.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
Not for the use of all, but for the benefit of all. Military bases are not public federal land, as one easy example, and they shouldn't be. If you want to add some nuance and say they should have to justify why they are restricting the use of such property I could agree with you, but just saying all government owned land should be public is a bit much.

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace and lips, of you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. Here's to my love.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The Federal government owns (controls) about 640 million acres nation wide, so the 1.4 million is a small portion but it's a start.

Here is a startling graphic showing how much of western states that the feds own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.6c393b462410

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
When the government bought or seized (from Mexico) the land that became the west, it was largely empty. So they owned it (hold title by essentially establishing the title), and still do. They been releasing some if it to private ownership / development. But make no mistake, the government very clearly owns the land they haven't released.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The term "Federal Land" always annoys me. Land in this country can only be 'private' (i.e. owned by an individual or individuals) or 'public' (maintained by the government for the use of 'all'). The idea the federal government can hold land unto itself and refuse to allow the public access and use of it should be viewed as completely unacceptable to everyone.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Must be that Apple computer thingy you use. Linky workied for me.

Not going to do us all that much good in Florida. Feds don't own much here, and the only use change is some wider hunting rights at the St. Mark's NWR in the Big Bend area.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Must be that Apple computer thingy you use. Linky workied for me.
And now it's working. Must have been a slight disturbance in the . . .

I'l remove my "Linky no worky" post.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
But make no mistake, the government very clearly owns the land they haven't released.
And pray tell, who is the 'government'? I seem to remember it this way...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

So who is this unique 'government' you're referring to that 'owns' all of this 'public' land? Here's hint. It's us. Unfortunately we've allowed layers upon layers of garbage in Washington to convince us otherwise. We can exist without government, but government damn sure cannot exist without us.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The organization that can lay and collect taxes, the organization that can pass and enforce laws. It's supposed to draw it's legitimacy from, and act in the best interest of the people of the country. But make no mistake, is very much an organization in it's own right (as are the state and local governments, BTW.)

quote:
quote:
But make no mistake, the government very clearly owns the land they haven't released.
And pray tell, who is the 'government'? I seem to remember it this way...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

So who is this unique 'government' you're referring to that 'owns' all of this 'public' land? Here's hint. It's us. Unfortunately we've allowed layers upon layers of garbage in Washington to convince us otherwise. We can exist without government, but government damn sure cannot exist without us.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Good to see that it is "officially" open, but fed land around here has always been open.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s that red chunk in NE Oklahoma ? Looks like the Osage Hills area. Used to Osage Indians up that way when I was a kid.

I wish Texas would open up some land.

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What does the Gettysburg Address have to do with the legal rights of the federal government?

-Loungechair

Posts: 676 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
What a BS article! The only Federal Lands I couldn't access were locked up by the private sector or individuals e.g. CUT lands outside Gardner MT, Flying A ranch near Bozeman MT, the closing of public roads in Idaho by cattle boys from Texas and the list goes on and on. NOTE: after the lands were taken or stolen from the native americans they were "opened" or invaded by seekers of fortunes, settlers etc. There is a lot of 'history' regarding land access dating back through the centuries and this 'article' is typical of the 'feel good' reporting that beguiles the media.
Fishing at a fish hatchery, really?

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
What does the Gettysburg Address have to do with the legal rights of the federal government?
You're talking about the government as if it were an individual. Government has no 'rights'. None. The Constitution recapped the rights of individuals and the the responsibilities and limitations of government. Government derives its very existence and scope from 'us' the people. The Gettysburg address reminded Americans that their government only existed and had legitimacy because those same Americans allowed it. In today's world a majority of this country either no longer realizes that reality or they've completely ceded their god given rights to government. That's at the very core of everything that's wrong in this country.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the government bought or seized (from Mexico) the land that became the west, it was largely empty. So they owned it (hold title by essentially establishing the title), and still do. They been releasing some if it to private ownership / development. But make no mistake, the government very clearly owns the land they haven't released.

quote:

Bought. Not seized. Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. We could have seized it as spoils of war but that would have collapsed the rest of Mexico and plunged her into decades of civil struggle. We paid Mexico a healthy sum for the day so she could recover. We were good neighbors. They have proven unworthy of our gesture.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're talking about the government as if it were an individual. Government has no 'rights'. None. The Constitution recapped the rights of individuals and the the responsibilities and limitations of government. Government derives its very existence and scope from 'us' the people.

Certainly.

As it pertains to the article-- about land held by the United States government-- what do YOU propose is the answer?

Wholesale distribution? Cool. I'd like Yellowstone, please. Great scenery and natural features. 'Course, if we do this Rhodesia-style, when we redistribute parcels to the "veterans" all of those great features will cease to exist because of depredation, harmful use, property-rights-trumping-access-by-the-public, etc.

Universal access and use while the .gov retains stewardship? Also cool. Please step aside for my strip-mining. What, wait... the rights of all the "other owners" are infringed by this? Tough.

I'm not sure what other solution you'd favor over these straw-man arguments, short of time-travel and doing it differently 150 years ago.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
You're talking about the government as if it were an individual. Government has no 'rights'. None. The Constitution recapped the rights of individuals and the the responsibilities and limitations of government. Government derives its very existence and scope from 'us' the people.

Certainly.

As it pertains to the article-- about land held by the United States government-- what do YOU propose is the answer?

Wholesale distribution? Cool. I'd like Yellowstone, please. Great scenery and natural features. 'Course, if we do this Rhodesia-style, when we redistribute parcels to the "veterans" all of those great features will cease to exist because of depredation, harmful use, property-rights-trumping-access-by-the-public, etc.

Universal access and use while the .gov retains stewardship? Also cool. Please step aside for my strip-mining. What, wait... the rights of all the "other owners" are infringed by this? Tough.

I'm not sure what other solution you'd favor over these straw-man arguments, short of time-travel and doing it differently 150 years ago.
Really? Many of your comments are just silly and a bit condescending. What do I believe? I believe the federal government should divest itself of all public land (short of military establishments) to the respective states, who will act as the steward of the land for the citizens of that state. All public land will be open to public use. And no, the land is to be maintained as is with 'any' proposed changes (i.e. mining, etc) going through a state approval process before it can undergo further impact analyses. None of this is rocket science.
Its about power and the wielding of it by the federal government.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
What’s that red chunk in NE Oklahoma ? Looks like the Osage Hills area. Used to Osage Indians up that way when I was a kid.

I wish Texas would open up some land.

I think it is BLM Osage Indian Reservation.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? Many of your comments are just silly and a bit condescending. What do I believe? I believe the federal government should divest itself of all public land (short of military establishments) to the respective states, who will act as the steward of the land for the citizens of that state. All public land will be open to public use. And no, the land is to be maintained as is with 'any' proposed changes (i.e. mining, etc) going through a state approval process before it can undergo further impact analyses. None of this is rocket science.
Its about power and the wielding of it by the federal government.

I wasn't shooting for "condescending" and I apologize if that's how it comes across. But I'm dead serious about the question, and if the examples are silly, it's because I think the premise of getting the government out of the land-ownership business is silly.

For big chunks of that land, the state legislatures voluntarily ceded legislative jurisdiction-- not just ownership, but the core authority to legislate or govern in those areas-- to the United States. In some areas, the states ceded legislative jurisdiction but reserved specific rights. None of that strikes me as an overbearing "wielding of power." It's precisely the kind of state grant of power to the federal government envisioned in and allowed by the Constitution.

For the lands not under exclusive federal jurisdiction-- where the .gov is merely the landholder-- I might agree with your view that the states are more appropriate custodians absent a clear, legitimate federal interest. If your argument is that the federal government HAS no legitimate interest in controlling land for non-military use, well, then it's my turn to call something silly.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post