SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What place have you traveled to that surprised you the most?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What place have you traveled to that surprised you the most? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone, both winter and summer. Bryce Canyon. Been to 7 different countries and those two places continue to blow me away.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
I’ll go first. Australia blew my mind.
Where women glow and men thunder?

Where women glow and men plunder. Or chunder. Depends where you are in the song.

Stickman and his wife had the best time down under.

The GM Holden Maloo R8 that he refers to:

How to travel the long and arduous distance is premium economy or the exit row seats.

I have travelled back and forth so many times, that's the only way. Well first and business is usually out of reach.

For me, it's Kakadu National Park and Arnhem land, along with Ulara (Ayers Rock) - those are my places.

The tranquility, roaring silence and the stars.

(not my imagery)

Also on the list ...
Belize out by the Cayes and the Blue Hole.
Jerusalem, the history and an unmarked tunnel.

But the Outback. That's me.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jasper National Park (and Banff) in British Columbia Canada.

Took everything I thought was incredible in Alaska, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado and bundled it together x 10.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i would have to say the time me and my friend in 1984 at 20 yrs old did a road trip from NH to fl we partied all the way down and back for 2 months we only had 500.00 bucks and worked odd jobs and manpower stuff we met a lot of good people along the way

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Malta. It was a stop on the Mediterranean cruise we did a couple of years ago. Anticipation was, "meh". After visiting there I decided if I ever decided to say screw it and become an ex-pat, that's where I'm going.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kb6emh:
Croatia for the beach life. Bosnia and Herzegovina has come a long way since the war. The dollar goes a long way there. Very beautiful country.

You Are 100% correct!!!!!

Split Croatia was flat amazing. Cheap as can be amazing seafood.
Bosnia while not as nice as Croatia I did enjoy it very much.
Most of that trip was spent in Italy too which I loved but honestly was not surprising. I expected it to be that way.

As for being surprised in a bad way. San Juan Puerto Rico hated it! The mountains of Puerto Rico was nice and the food was great!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Czech Republic, visited in 2005 while backpacking around Europe with my brother. It was more of an afterthought than anything, but we ended up staying longer than we’d planned. The people were amazing, food was cheap, beer even cheaper, and the history fascinating.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Israel...hands down.

It is the most amazing place that I have ever been. Were it only the history, that would be good enough. But, there is so much more.

You will leave there a different person than when you arrived.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That Holden Maloo looks especially good in red. I LOVE that thing!! LS V8, 6-speed manual, room to haul my motorcycle, exotic Aussie Ute styling on full display....man it’s just perfect. Cool
I’ve been looking for a GTO here to possibly convert to a Holden UTE. I wish I could just import a new one and keep it right hand drive.

Gustofer, I would love to go to Israel. You are not the only one I’ve heard recently say going there changes you. My pastor says the same thing. Our church is going in 2020. I am considering going.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The beautiful countryside of Iceland. I was just blown away and I've done my fair share of traveling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was shocked by the large Middle Eastern/Muslim population of Malmo, Sweden.

I had no problems, but I just wasn't expecting it.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I had never been to southern Utah before and it was incredible. The National parks and general landscaped were great.

+1.

+2 and I'll add Monument Valley on the Utah/Arizona border. Truly amazing.

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Japan, by a long stretch. Mind-blowing.
0-0

I'd have to agree.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
NYC.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'm not as well traveled as most of yall,

never been west of the mississippi, and have only been to England,

I used to think I knew was old things were like, visiting DC, Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown, Fredericksburg etc etc and growing up in RVA,

and having my direct fraternal ancestor come over in 1610,

however all that ended when we were in the UK,
spent out time in London, did not get to see no where near the stuff we wanted to,

did go to Bath/Stonehenge/Winchester on day, and to Leeds/Canterbury Cathedral/Dover another,

passed the oldest inhabited (continuously) house in the country (since 1500ish iirc)

London was fantastic,

Canterbury Cathedral was amazing, got to stand in the spot where Becket was killed in 1170.....

what is the difference between an American and an Englishman?
one thinks 100 miles is long way, the other thinks 100yrs is a long time

stonehenge was amazing, had wanted to see it since I was a kid,

however it was not as impressive as I had thought it would be,

maybe because it was just there, basically roped off in a pasture full of sheep,,

I did get a few pieces of Chalk from the grounds
(we could not get too close to the stones)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I agree with many of the people here. There are a lot of beautiful places in the world. One of my bucket lists items is to visit all 7 continents and I still have Australia and Antarctica but i will make it.

One place that blew me away was Botswana.
It is a very stable economy and virtually ALL the people there, regardless of their socio-economic status seemed very happy and were always smiling.
Once you got out of the towns or villages the natural beauty of the landscape and fauna is second to none.

Go! you will not regret it...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had a professor who traveled to Botswana every year. He spoke very highly of the country. It is a country I would definitely like to visit. To this day I still remember one of his lectures was titled “Debbie in Botswana” and was about one of his students reaction to visiting Botswana. He was a fascinating processor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
New Zealand. In 2004 I spent 20 days down there, 13 on the South Island and 7 on the North Island. It is an incredible place and the inhabitants are very friendly. (The 15-hour flight from LAX is daunting, though, even using Qantas.)

In the US, South Carolina. I was stationed near Sumter, SC for 4 years back in the 1970s and was very surprised at how much I enjoyed my time there. I had been reared in Detroit, MI and previous visits to the deep South had readied me for treatment that was "polite, but restrained". I was very surprised to discover that the South Carolinians were very friendly and helpful, even to a "Northerner" who wasn't from around there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Reading though some of these posts, I’m struck by how much depends on time AND place.

For example, the Isla Margarita was a paradise up until the late 2010’s, nowadays (like everything else in Venezuela) one must hope for better times and stay away.

Or (and not to call you out, flashguy) but the last example given, of South Carolina in the 1970’s. That’s almost 50 years ago... a lot can change in 50 years.

To put things in perspective, Rhodesia was a thriving country during that time.

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I've lived on three continents (not just visited but actually lived there). I've scaled parts of the Himalayas, swam in the Indian Ocean and traveled extensively on the Indian sub-continent. I spent a year in Africa and visited three countries there.
There is a lot of this world that I haven't seen but the place that has made the deepest impression on me is the million+ acre Bounday Waters Canoe Area on the border between Minnesota and Canada. It is remote and takes days to paddle into the interior. There is no cell service and aircraft are not allowed to overfly it. You can get a permit to venture into Quetico National Park in Canada where access is controlled more strictly and which is even more remote.
It has been one of the most serene and soul satisfying places that I have ever visited. Watching the setting sun go down over glass smooth lakes, while listening to the call of the loons, is something that is hard to forget.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post