SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What place have you traveled to that surprised you the most?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What place have you traveled to that surprised you the most? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I have family there and an open invitation. My hang up is the flight. I have enough FF miles to book a flight but theres no way I'm flying coach, premium economy at a minimum but when I checked earlier this year the flights were $4k. I'm assuming you flew AA/Quantas out of CLT->LAX

I need to stop being a baby and pull the trigger for early 2020.

1. Pick a time when fares are as good as they'll get and blow the money on going premium/first class. Recovery time in-country counts.

2. Overnight in LA, give yourself a couple of days in Japan or somewhere nearby, then fly south. Expensive in terms of time and money, yes, but again - recovery time in-country counts.

3. Pick another break point on the way back home. Japan to Florida can be done without a break, but expect to take a couple of days back home before you're fully functional. If you stop off in Japan on the way in, though, why not stop off in, say, South Korea on the way back?

As for a place I've traveled that surprised me, there haven't been many. I've been pretty good at traveling without expectations. Having said that, I expected the Basque country in Spain to be good but if I could've found work there I wouldn't have come home. Same for Vancouver, BC.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 places

the deserts in America's so. west , ( both high and low)
and
the Columbia river gorge

the c.r.g. attributes jump up and are in your face from the get go.

the deserts take some time, you gotta look , study and take your time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Having said that, I expected the Basque country in Spain to be good but if I could've found work there I wouldn't have come home.

One of the hidden gems of this planet. It’s a mixture of Switzerland and Ireland, with much better food than either Smile

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I had never been to southern Utah before and it was incredible. The National parks and general landscaped were great.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A long drive through any desert. I always hope it never ends.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
One of the hidden gems of this planet. It’s a mixture of Switzerland and Ireland, with much better food than either Smile

And beaches, and jazz, and wine, and better looking women....jeez, freckles, tan lines and Dave Brubeck, FTW!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Brescia, Italy - A lot of history stuff, good food, friendly people, a castle

Margarita, Venezuela - This was 15 years ago, but beaches and tanned people that look good on beaches, good food, fun nightlife

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ll go first. Australia blew my mind.
Where women glow and men thunder?

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Venice, Italy. Surprised me that it was just a tourist trap surrounded by water. Kinda seemed like a theme park. Almost no one actually lives there (practically), they just go there to work in jobs that support the tourism industry

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rome,

My wife wanted to go for her 30th. I was excited to go, but I generally don't like big cities. I loved every second of it. I also don't care much for "art", but the art over there is just on another level.

I probably spent a good 20 minutes looking at the statue "The Rape of Persephone" at the Borghese museum. It is stunning how lifelike and "soft" a chunk of marble can be made to look.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
The San Blas islands off the coast of Panama. I often reminisce with my brother about that trip. Its a bit more commercial now than it was 30 years ago, but the people are still so very friendly.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the late 70s I was fortunate to live in Italy for three years, courtesy of Uncle Sugar. I visited many countries and all over Italy. I would guess that Austria was my favorite. It was beautiful, with clean nice cities and the people treated the ignorant American tourist very well.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I had never been to southern Utah before and it was incredible. The National parks and general landscaped were great.

+1.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Hoa Binh and Hanoi, Vietnam. Hoa Binh was really beautiful and the Hmong people were very welcoming. Hanoi was very easy to get around in, everything was very cheap and I liked the food. The Old Quarter was fascinating. The only big city I have ever been in where I did not see a single beggar or any sign of street crime.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Chicago.
Other than the short stretch of Michigan ave along the lake it was the biggest shit hole I've ever visited. I felt like I was in a third world country the whole time.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Croatia for the beach life. Bosnia and Herzegovina has come a long way since the war. The dollar goes a long way there. Very beautiful country.

Posts: 8 | Location: Jonesboro Ar. | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I believe the place that surprised me most was Iran. I was assigned there in 1961-1962. In far western part of the country. Kurdistan. A lot different than where I grew up in N. Idaho.

Kurds were the most friendly I think I have ever spent time getting to know. Traveling in very small villages and we had to sit down and eat with them. Sat on carpets that were said to be nearly 3000 years old.

Witnessed what the Shah was doing for his people. Stuff like homesteading for the villagers, and that land came from his holdings!

His plan was modeled after the USA homestead program. To this day I have no idea why our "president" decided to overthrow the Shah Khomeini ended up ruling and we see the end results even today.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this may sound cheesy compared to where others have been but, the west coast of Michigan. Loved all of it. Nice people and nice country. We go on family vacations every year and try to go to different areas of the US but, all of us agreed that it was one of the best. Holland, Grand Haven, and even Muskegon.

Now we are planning to go further north next time!!!

A friend went to Poland a couple years ago and said it was great. Thinking about that along with Ireland/Northern Ireland.

Posts: 4026 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Venice, Italy. Surprised me that it was just a tourist trap surrounded by water. Kinda seemed like a theme park. Almost no one actually lives there (practically), they just go there to work in jobs that support the tourism industry

This.

I travel to most places with an open mind, so nothing really "surprises" me. I traveled frequently to Vietnam in my youth, so things being "different" is something I'm accustomed to.

However, Venice was thoroughly disappointing--which was a surprise because I had high hopes for it.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The inside of the Alamo. It was humbling and inspiring to be there.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post