SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Creepy "Big Brother" moment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creepy "Big Brother" moment Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
This weekend I checked out a new coffee place in Atlanta. When I made my purchase, I used my credit card. About an hour later, I received a text message on my cell phone from this coffee place thanking me for my purchase and awarding me loyalty points.

This freaked me out and bothers me a great deal. My credit card is not tied to my cell phone and I didn't give these people my cell number. I plan to call their corporate office to discuss, but with all the knowledge here, I estimate that someone can tell me what invasive technology this company used to get my cell number.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Update: I just got schooled by my tech guys. The credit card capture machine was a "Square". I have used Square before and had the receipt texted to me. Apparently they keep all my info.

Still creepy to me.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
all your data belong to us

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
all your data belong to us

Apparently the only way to lose the data is to give it to Hillary or the FBI.

orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I don't know what's so creepy? When you set up Square don't you have your preferences set regarding how you want to receive receipts? You provided Square with your phone number, they didn't pull it out of thin air.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently the only way to lose the data is to give it to Hillary or the FBI.

^^^ Big Grin

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we use PayPal for a charity I work for. I find that most people who buy things from us are already in the system. We've never sold to them or seen them before, but I can choose to send their receipt to email or text without any entry on their part.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
How about the UPS delivery guy calling me on my cell phone to let me know he couldnt get into the gate to drop my package off and offering to meet me somewhere close to home, how did he get my number?

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I don't know what's so creepy? When you set up Square don't you have your preferences set regarding how you want to receive receipts? You provided Square with your phone number, they didn't pull it out of thin air.

When I paid through Square before, I didn't understand what it was. I was just paying by credit card with the guy that gives me BJJ lessons. When he asked if I wanted my receipt texted to me, I assumed that it was something he was doing, not something programmed into the data base of the third party processor. And I definitely didn't understand that they stored that data, along with my CC info. I didn't give Square that permission and don't like it at all.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
How about the UPS delivery guy calling me on my cell phone to let me know he couldnt get into the gate to drop my package off and offering to meet me somewhere close to home, how did he get my number?

Perhaps your sender put it on the form.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Update: I just got schooled by my tech guys. The credit card capture machine was a "Square". I have used Square before and had the receipt texted to me. Apparently they keep all my info.

Still creepy to me.

That is exactly how square operates, to get your recipt you provide them with a email address which is stored for all future transactions with that card. I use square at every art show and my customers have no issues at all.

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
That’s what cash is for.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
quote:

Still creepy to me.

That is exactly how square operates, to get your recipt you provide them with a email address which is stored for all future transactions with that card. I use square at every art show and my customers have no issues at all.

If you know what you are signing up for, no issues. I didn't knowingly sign up for this. I get it now.

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:

The sender always puts a phone number in the information when they ship the package just for this reason.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
We stopped the other day at a small BBQ shop in Del Rio before we got back to the motorhome an hour later my wife got a text to rate the restaurant. We paid cash

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
We stopped the other day at a small BBQ shop in Del Rio before we got back to the motorhome an hour later my wife got a text to rate the restaurant. We paid cash

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I miss my UPS gal (she retired). She used to call if she needed an adult signature and ask I wanted to meet her or if she should pencil whip it and leave the package in a shady spot inside the gate.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still creepy to me.

Square is tied to Apple. In my prior company we used square and I got near weekly calls from customers furious that they received a text or email from us with a copy of their receipt.

They were convinced that we were somehow stealing their data. As tactfully as I could I would always answer the same way, "Don't blame us, Blame Apple".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12351 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:

Did you use their free WiFi while you were there?

Posts: 11027 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post