SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Leasing a vehicle ever a good idea?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Leasing a vehicle ever a good idea? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Well, is it?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you have money to burn and you're hard as Hell on auto-mo-biles and you plan on getting a new car every couple of years.

Posts: 107646 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Haven't looked deep into it - but I think I remember from several years ago .... If you want to drive a new vehicle every few years (like Para said). And I think monthly payments are lower. Although as a financial benefit, this will depend on how much up-front $$ you have to put out.

I don't recall any other pluses to leasing.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can think of a couple of times when it's a good idea.

• Business use, where lease payments are deductible, and you don't want to tie up capital or credit.

• In my case, I'm thinking of leasing my next vehicle for personal use. At my age, I don't expect to be driving too much longer. It's very likely that my wife will outlive me, and if I bought a vehicle, she would be left with the hassle of disposing of it. A leased vehicle could just be returned. "The rest of the payments? Nah, he's dead."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
  •  
    Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    Never made sense to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then again: I've never felt the need for a shiny new motor vehicle every two or three years.
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    "The rest of the payments? Nah, he's dead."
    Best check your state's laws. I believe in some states the surviving spouse may become responsible for the balance of the obligation?

Here ya go: Is My Spouse Responsible for My Car Lease When I Die?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Optimistic Cynic
    Picture of architect
    posted Hide Post
    I think a lot of people choose to lease in the mistaken belief that major repairs, etc. are the responsibility of the lessor. And many more that are attracted by the somewhat lower monthly outlay, that even then, they have a hard time disgorging. These are the same people who think that scheduled maintenance is a waste of money.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    I can think of a couple of times when it's a good idea.

• Business use, where lease payments are deductible, and you don't want to tie up capital or credit.

• In my case, I'm thinking of leasing my next vehicle for personal use. At my age, I don't expect to be driving too much longer. It's very likely that my wife will outlive me, and if I bought a vehicle, she would be left with the hassle of disposing of it. A leased vehicle could just be returned. "The rest of the payments? Nah, he's dead."

• The leasing for business does make sense. Still when I had my business purchasing worked out better finically in some years. When we where growing rapidly, we need exemptions to offset the accelerated income and a purchase of certain qualifying vehicles was 100% deductible at the time of purchase. This saved us a lot. Later on we did a few short term leases and just wrote off the payments which worked out better.

For me personally, I don't ever see myself leasing. Both mine and my wife's late model vehicles were purchase and are without leans. We're low mileage drivers, so I expect we can keep these to that final day. If I go, she'll get a very good return on my Tacoma, so I don't worry there.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Money won is sweeter
    than money earned
    Picture of Rick_Perry
    posted Hide Post
    I've been leasing for over 30 yrs. Sometimes a 2yr lease or sometime a 3yr lease.

I have not bought brakes, tires etc or had to pay for any car repairs in that time period. I change the oil every 5000 miles and put gas in it.

Monthly payments are cheaper than buying. Drawback for some is that you always have a monthly car payment. It's a monthly budgeted item for me, so it's part of my monthly bills.

I like leasing. It's nice having a new vehicle every 2 or 3 yrs.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    The leases I am aware of all have substantial penalties for exceeding an already low and arbitrary annual mileage, and for every little stain or scratch. That kills leasing for me.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
    Monthly [lease] payments are cheaper than buying.
    In 2017 I bought my very-low-mileage 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My payments were $500/mo. for 60 months. It was paid-off in November. That means I'm already $2,000 ahead.

If I maintain it well I will continue to realize $6,000 a year in savings, less maintenance and repair costs. I can buy a lot of maintenance and repair for $6k/year.

Meanwhile, the cost for leasing a 2023 JGC is over $500/month.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    For some maybe, but every car I have bought, I bought for the long haul. Like some have said, for a business, I can absolutely see the benefit but for the average person, it seems like a lose/lose-(you own nothing / are only renting at a lower rate), situation.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    It can be

If the residual is high

Make damn sure you won't go over the mileage

Check your states laws regarding sales tax, most only tax the monthly payment, some want full value tax up front which sucks donkey balls in a lease

There are also open ended leases for business/commercial use that can be beneficial if done right, all retail leases are closed end

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A teetotaling
    beer aficionado
    Picture of NavyGuy
    posted Hide Post
    Let me add; I like the feeling that it's mine, even if there's a lean on it. Similar to living in your house vs renting a house. Are you really going to take a great deal of pride in a rental house?

Now ponder... Do leasing companies make money? you bet the do and it's the leasers that are paying. And if there's kick back from dealerships that just goes to show you how much they rake in.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    When I discuss leases, the first thing I point out is that leases are just a complicated process for buying a vehicle. When you “lease” a vehicle, you are signing a purchase contract. The Lease has a special ability to choose to return the vehicle after a Negotiated period of time.

So if you are interested in purchasing a vehicle but not sure about the cost of ownership, a lease is a good way to approach that purchase.

Some manufacturers allow purchase of the vehicle at the end if of the lease contract at current Market price (vice the contract Residual price). BMW used to allow this process but have since closed this loophole.

Again, if you are already interested in purchasing a vehicle; sometimes the incentives are better for leasing than purchasing. A manufacture may also set a very high Residual in an attempt to attract leasing.

You can negotiate the purchase price, interest rate (money factor in lease language), duration of lease and mileage. The duration and mileage are more about choosing the
    combination that works for your situation vice a negotiation. But they do affect the Residual.

My background is in leasing BMW’s and once with Land Rover.

Posts: 13 | Location: Outside the Gorge | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    I was once at an exotic car dealership speaking to the owner of a leasing company who happened to be in town and visiting with the dealership owner. When he introduced himself and told me what he did I was flabbergasted. People lease super cars?

Apparently, a lot of them do and if done right is an outstanding investment opportunity. This of course assumes the car appreciates in value during your lease period. Probably doesn't hold true very often in the regular car market, but I could see where there was potential in their world.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    Yes, in certain circumstances, such as, you are a business OR you need a vehicle to impress others that you don't have the cash to buy, such as a Realtor who needs to have a "success vehicle" but may not be in a position as a young agent to buy or finance outright.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12783 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go Vols!
    Picture of Oz_Shadow
    posted Hide Post
    They can be if you are a low mileage driver. If not, you better negotiate the residual price like you are buying.

Also - a lot have been making money buying out their lease then reselling in this crazy market.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by a1abdj:
    I was once at an exotic car dealership speaking to the owner of a leasing company who happened to be in town and visiting with the dealership owner. When he introduced himself and told me what he did I was flabbergasted. People lease super cars?

Apparently, a lot of them do and if done right is an outstanding investment opportunity. This of course assumes the car appreciates in value during your lease period. Probably doesn't hold true very often in the regular car market, but I could see where there was potential in their world.

It does, and there is another angle to it as well. I knew a guy who was a Ferrari guy. He was a very successful jeweler who had owned a bunch of them. As such, he was eligible to buy new rare cars, which often have the restriction that the buyer be a prior Ferrari owner. For example, the Enzo. A buyer couldn't buy an Enzo if you weren't a prior Ferrari owner. Plus, he was willing to plonk down $250k to get on the waiting list. He would place the deposit, wait the time, buy the car for cash when it came in, drive it for 6 months, and then sell it for a nice profit to a new money person who wanted it right now.

Good business if you have the cash.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12783 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My daughter has leased for years. She is single and does some road travel for work, plus a lot of trips to the airport for work flights. For her, having a reliable, new car that is always under warranty is worth it. Like she says "I can afford the lease payment - I cant afford the repairs."

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    For personal use and you like a new car regularly and don't want the hassle of selling the old car yourself, and you don't mind the higher overall cost of leasing over buying, then yes, leasing is a good idea.

From strictly a financial point of view, leasing is not a good idea for personal use when looking at the total cost of ownership for the useful life of the vehicle.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19682 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post