SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone get meal delivery kits ordered: Hello Fresh/HomeChef/Martha Stuart/Blue Apron?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone get meal delivery kits ordered: Hello Fresh/HomeChef/Martha Stuart/Blue Apron? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
While meal kits may seem expensive, I cook for just myself and find them pretty economical considering all the containers and jars of stuff I'd otherwise have to plan to use up before expiration dates, as well as the varied meals I wouldn't otherwise experience unless I went out to eat. So, no meal planning, driving around shopping or going out to eat and I know exactly what's in each meal that's seasoned to my specific tastes.

Meal kits aren't for everyone and I wouldn't recommend for families 4+ because of the expense involved and the ease of using ingredients bought in quantities before expirations. But for just me, meal kits are a win. Meals are cooked 2 plates at a time and I generally cook one day, refrigerate one plate, and reheat it the next day.

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Usually the only two pans I use to prepare the Home Chef meal kits unless there's rice, pasta or something that I have to break out a sauce pan for. Clean up is easy and the Stargazer skillet just keeps getting better.

Posts: 4717 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn Hobbs, your posts make this sooooo tempting. Argh! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16244 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has used Blue Apron and speaks highly of the quality. The stock doubled today.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Damn Hobbs, your posts make this sooooo tempting. Argh! Big Grin

Thanks Smile
Home Chef was bought out by Kroger in 2018 but the Home Chef founder is still there, the Home Chef philosophy hasn't changed, and the transition was transparent. However, I think I liked it better before large corporate got a hold of it. Yes I've been a subscriber that long. Not that any phase of Home Chef has suffered. It's still very good and Kroger has food acquisition resources available and in place, so I'm not real worried about demands or possible shortages. If it comes to it and effects them, it likely effects most everyone.

Maybe one consideration that hasn't been mentioned when choosing a meal kit service, is where their distribution centers are located. I'm in Alabama and Home Chef has a distro center right next door in Georgia. They cold pack my meals and ship on Mondays and FedEx has it fresh at my door the very next day on Tuesdays. Shipping is free because I order $49+ each week and there hasn't been a single glitch in shipping and delivery since I've been a member.

OH, and the meal prices have not changed a cent since I started the service about 3yrs ago. Maybe, MAYBE that's why I liked it best before Kroger got it. I THINK the meals may have been a little more robust in general, some ingredients may have been sourced differently, and MAYBE instead of price increases, they have trimmed corners every so slightly or tweaked menus here and there. I can't be sure though, just a vague perception. The transition over to Kroger ownership really was transparent.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
My son has used Blue Apron and speaks highly of the quality. The stock doubled today.

If it breaks out of $20, it is gone due to few shares traded at higher prices.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Sicilian Chicken with green beans and tomatoes pizzaiola. A cast iron pan-roasted chicken with fragrant herb blend next to mozzarella & butter-crusted Roma tomatoes and roasted green beans dappled with fresh garlic. The drizzle of sweet-tangy balsamic glaze completes.

N'awlins Shrimp Po'Boy with homemade Remoulade and Romaine Salad.

Garlic-Thyme Roasted Chicken with Green Beans and Apple.

Chipotle Cinnamon Seasoned Apple Butter Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese topped Roasted Beets and Carrots.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
We use sunbasket which has both fresh ingredients and some premade ready for the oven meals.
I like it quite a bit but three times a week was too much for us - as well now looking at what Hobbs has I may have to switch (although I believe sunbasket is just as good; I just can’t plate as well)!

Like you I was tired of making the same things over and over again. It’s a nice option but you would want to plan it carefully if you travel because most of the items in the meals I get should be used within a few days. Not all of it is suitable for freezing. It’s really helped me with grocery shopping because if I like something I can then go to the store and buy the ingredients (spices, sauces, etc) knowing that I’ll make it more than once.

Dang Hobbs, your descriptors are fantastic- “dappled”? Are you pulling those straight from the recipes? You should be a food writerSmile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5332 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Hobbs didn't read the waver. You are not suppose to post food articles after 6PM. Some of the food sites may have to shut down due to the overwhelming night time orders from over 10,000 members. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post