SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things to do in Philadelphia
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do in Philadelphia Login/Join 
Picture of SR025
posted
Wanted to thank everyone again for the suggestions.

Since we were tourists we had the tourist cheesesteaks at Genos, Pats, Sonnys and Jims with Jims being the best.

The pork sandwich was fantastic at DiNic's, Reading Market was awesome as a whole as well. The Italian food at Villa Di Roma was unbelievable. Didn't really care for City Tavern, food was meh but the decor was cool. We love the show Always Sunny in Philadelphia so went to Mac's Tavern which is owned by 'Mac' and 'Dee'. They had some really good bar food and local beers on tap.

I wanted to try a few other places suggested but they had a lot of seafood which my wife is allergic to.

The history of the city is awesome and glad so much was persevered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SR025,

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I don't have details, my son lived in Philly for a few years, said there are a lot places to stay away from.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were in Philadelphia, my must see would be this:

https://www.muralarts.org/artworks/larry-fine/

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I don't have details, my son lived in Philly for a few years, said there are a lot places to stay away from.

Most of West and North Philadelphia, to start.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bookbinders (which is now under new ownership, and renamed: The Old Bar) Excellent sea food.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
BB62 sits across the Delaware river in Camden. You might enjoy going to see THE New Jersey.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
George's on South Ninth in the Italian Market area does a fantastic Italian roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe. A south Philly friend says there are a few hole-in-the-wall spots, like John's Roast Pork, 14 E. Snyder Avenue, which can top it, but I've not travelled off the beaten path.

The Italian roast pork blows away a "Philly cheese steak". IMHO.

I'd stay away from sandwich shops in the tourist areas, just in principle.

"Later in the summer" it will be even more hot and humid.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Just walk around, Philly is a great walking city.

Lots of great architecture, different flavor in every area.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born and raised in and around Philly before all the various moves.

You can't visit the city and not get a cheesesteak. I'm a Geno's man, but Pat's is literally across the intersection so you can pick your poison.

Lots of history around. My family has had ties to the Walnut Street Theatre my entire life as well, which I'd recommend checking out if you're a fan of the theater and find the history of it interesting.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
The Franklin Institute is a must. If they have a special exhibit that's a plus. Easy to get to, parking near by, and plenty of LEO about. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since I've been in that area, but Reading Terminal Market has some pretty good food and if you like ice cream, you need to go to Bassett's (it was so good, we went twice the last time we were there).

I wasn't impressed with cheesesteaks from either Geno's or Pat's. I've had much better, but I can't remember where in Philly. I'm sure others will jump in here for recommendations...

In addition to the historical sites in the city, Valley Forge isn't too far away either.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best Italian food I've ever had was at Villa di Roma. Cash only, right in the middle of the Italian market. Reading Terminal Market is awesome.

Pat's and Geno's are both trash. I prefer Tony Luke's if I'm going to go with the big names for cheesesteaks. And yeah, I agree with others about the roast pork sandwiches.

Posts: 501 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Must see IMO:

Franklin Institute
The new Museum of the American Revolution (and surprisingly not super PC as it's not gov-run, I've heard)
Independence Mall/Liberty Bell
National Constitution Center
Benjamin Franklin's house, Franklin Court:

Franklin Court

Food:

Tony Luke's for cheesesteaks (avoid the tourist traps of Geno's and Pat's)

Tony Luke's

A fun, while a bit touristy but still cool, place to eat is City Tavern:

City Tavern

Reading Terminal Market, I highly recommend the roast pork/broccoli rabe/sharp provolone from DiNic's. Be there early or you many be in line a long time!

Reading Terminal Market

Awesome German restaurant on South Street, the most authentic I've seen in this country since coming home from Germany in 1995:

Brauhaus Schmitz

They have German beers there you literally cannot get anywhere else in the entire USA

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
If you are beer fan, check out Monk's Cafe.

This is a Belgian Style Beer Bar. They also serve many excellent game dishes or just really good Mussels (moules) cooked in beer. Their burgers are also very good. Go to the back bar for a really good selection of Belgian Ales on Tap.

http://www.monkscafe.com/

Just my $0.02,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2082 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In addition to Franklin Institute, Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the New Jersey, there is the Cruiser Olympia and, I believe, a Balao class submarine at the Philadelphia waterfront.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Jims for a Cheesesteak
Constitution Center for sure
Right near there is a Chinatown with food to die for along with a massive indoor market, eat until you want to die, then try it again the next day

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5182 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Return fire

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Return fire

[URL=shopping in Philly]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_S4QH9Vsiw[/URL]

Razz

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2080 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Right near there is a Chinatown with food to die for along with a massive indoor market, eat until you want to die, then try it again the next day

That's Reading Terminal Market

Valley Forge National Park is only around 12 miles away from Philly and it's a nice place to visit and just walk around if the weather is nice.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'll second Monk's.
Avoid the "big name" tourist trap cheese steak places and find the hole in the wall ones where the natives eat.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post